Thread: Giants/ Pirates Series preview and probables

sjdrewk

Default Giants/ Pirates Series preview and probables

There are some great deals on tickets but I am Not going to any of the games while the Bucs are out here. Looks like the Pirates won't have to face Lincecum this time.
    =============================================

Monday, April 12 AT&T Park | 7:15 PM PT
    Brian Burres, LHP (0-0, -.--) Pirates (3-3)@ Barry Zito, LHP (1-0, 0.00)
    Giants (5-1)
    Giants: Barry Zito hopes to continue establishing a new trend when he faces the Pittsburgh Pirates. Known for his subpar first-half pitching, Zito blanked Houston for six innings in his season debut last Tuesday. Zito typically performs well against Pittsburgh with little to show for it, having posted an 0-3 record with a 3.13 ERA in four starts against the Pirates. This will be Zito's first start of the season at AT&T Park, where he finished 6-6 with a 3.92 ERA last year.

Tuesday, April 13 AT&T Park | 7:15 PM PT

Paul Maholm, LHP (0-1, 6.00) Pirates (3-3)@ Matt Cain, RHP (0-0, 4.05) Giants (5-1)

Pirates: Despite allowing four runs in six innings, Maholm left the mound after his first start of the season feeling good about the big picture. Things finally clicked with his curveball and changeup after the lefty struggled with both pitches all spring. Maholm's outing largely came down to two unexecuted pitches, and he was kicking himself afterward about the pitch selection of both. In each case, Maholm said, he chose to throw a pitch that his mind told him not to. Maholm is 1-1 with a 2.85 ERA in six career starts against San Francisco.
    Giants: Cain sustained a strong 6 2/3-inning effort in his 2010 debut last Wednesday at Houston, but surrendered three of the four runs he allowed in his final inning. The Giants scored six runs in the final two innings to win, 10-4, though Cain emerged with no decision. Cain didn't issue a walk, which reflects his annual goal of improving his control. Cain excelled against Pittsburgh last year, posting a 1-0 record with a 0.56 ERA in two starts. Since this is Cain's first start at AT&T Park this season, it's worth noting that he compiled identical 7-4 records home and away a year ago. His ERA was slightly lower at home (2.72, compared to 3.09 on the road).

Wednesday, April 14 AT&T Park | 12:45 PM PT

Charlie Morton, RHP (0-1, 21.60) Pirates (3-3)@ Jonathan Sanchez, LHP (0-0, 6.23) Giants (5-1)

Pirates: Morton said he learned a valuable lesson while being hit hard in his first start of the season Friday in Arizona: Don't be afraid to rely on the fastball to get ahead of hitters and gain the advantage. Morton did that while striking out five in the first two innings, then absorbed a six-run third in which four of the D-backs' six hits came either on the first pitch or when ahead in the count. The 26-year-old righty has fared well in three career starts against the Giants, holding them to five earned runs in 19 innings (2.37 ERA).
    Giants: Sanchez received the distinction of pitching the Giants' home opener last Friday and had decent stuff, striking out six in 4 1/3 innings. But he wasn't consistent with his fastball, which prevented him from getting ahead on the count to most hitters. That, in turn, shortened his outing, though San Francisco proceeded to outlast Atlanta, 5-4, in 13 innings. Sanchez did not face the Pirates last season and is 0-1 with a 14.04 ERA in four lifetime appearances against them.

Threads : 215

Default Re: Giants/ Pirates Series preview and probables

Good reporting!

sjdrewk

Thanks Crossbones- all info courtesy of the SF Giants official website:

www.sfgiants.com

Threads : 2

Nice job sjdrewk

Well, at least we don't have to face Lincecum this week, the Giants look like they're going to steamroller every other team in that division this year, if they stay healthy they could win 100 games IMO, so even picking up a win out there and avoiding the sweep would be nice.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice job sjdrewk

Well, at least we don't have to face Lincecum this week, the Giants look like they're going to steamroller every other team in that division this year, if they stay healthy they could win 100 games IMO, so even picking up a win out there and avoiding the sweep would be nice.
    Thank you, Mothman!

Lincecum looks really great so far and I agree, although it is really early and anything could happen as you mention injuries and whatnot, the SF Giants look really good this year. I think it has to do with the clubhouse, these guys appear to be really close and pick each other up.

The Pirates look better than last year so I think our Pirates will finish above last years record. I like McCutchen and if the pitching comes around it should be a year that we can see improvement .

Threads : 13

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Nice job sjdrewk

Well, at least we don't have to face Lincecum this week, the Giants look like they're going to steamroller every other team in that division this year, if they stay healthy they could [HIGH-LIGHT]win 100 games[/HIGH-LIGHT] IMO, so even picking up a win out there and avoiding the sweep would be nice.
    I dunno about SF winning 100. Obviously the pitching has to be spot on if they're even gonna come close to that. Zito will have to be on all year. That division is really tough, with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Rockies. Plus SF is gonna strikeout a TON, with Sandoval, Uribe, and Benjie '3 bills' Molina swinging at everything. Not much power in that lineup either.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkingsmustache View Post
    I dunno about SF winning 100. Obviously the pitching has to be spot on if they're even gonna come close to that. Zito will have to be on all year. That division is really tough, with the Dodgers, Diamondbacks and Rockies. Plus SF is gonna strikeout a TON, with Sandoval, Uribe, and Benjie '3 bills' Molina swinging at everything. Not much power in that lineup either.
    Not sure about 100 wins either but it is possible with that type of starting pitching.....interestingly, now that I have the MLB extra innings, I hear other team broadcast and across the league they are talking about the GIants starters....so imo, I think the pitching for the Giants will be strong enough now partly because that the hitting is actually a lot better this year that they are going to win the West(as long as they are injury free).....but it is early so we can't just say yeah, the GIants are gonna win the west and win x amount of games. But they look great so far....I think after the conclusion of the Pirates series they are going to kick the crap out of the Dodgers.
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information