Thread: Wingers for Sid and Geno

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wingers for Sid and Geno

So the game against the Islanders Dan puts Sid and Geno together for much of the game in order to squeeze as many goals out of Sid as possible. Sid ended up with 5 points and Geno with 4. So we anyone like to see Sid and geno get playing together or at least playing together more often besides when we are down late in the 3rd?

One thing that bother me is the play of the 2nd line going into the playoffs. Geno is a minus player this year at even strength and Feds has the worst minus on the team. Poni is a minus since he arrived too. The plus minus doesn't tell all but it does tell that at even strength the second line has been giving up more than it has scored. Billy G also has a bad minus playing on the top 2 lines and to me has looked way too slow to play with Sid and/or Geno on a regular shift. I was just playing with lines and thought of some different possibilities. Of course we always have the option of switching back to Geno at center and more traditional lines. Anyone have their own take on the lines or Sid/Geno together?

Geno Sid Dupuis (Dups for his speed and decent defensive play)
    Kunitz Staal Billy G
    Poni TFK Feds
    Rupp Adams Talbot/Cooke

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wingers for Sid and Geno

I wouldn't use a game vs the Islanders as a measuring stick! Besides the Pens barely won. Bylsma mixes the lines all of the time anyway. I sometimes wonder if that's part of the problem. No one knows what the other guys on their line are gonna do (offensively & defensively) There's no way to tell if Geno's and Feds minus's came playing together or playing on some line thrown together during the flow of the game. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wouldn't use a game vs the Islanders as a measuring stick! Besides the Pens barely won. Bylsma mixes the lines all of the time anyway. I sometimes wonder if that's part of the problem. No one knows what the other guys on their line are gonna do (offensively & defensively) There's no way to tell if Geno's and Feds minus's came playing together or playing on some line thrown together during the flow of the game. JMO
    OV plays with Backstrom, the Sedin's play together, Stamkos with St. Louis, etc. Just a thought on a new look that might help us. We complain a lot about our wingers or lack there of for the top 2 lines.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PSmitty View Post
    OV plays with Backstrom, the Sedin's play together, Stamkos with St. Louis, etc. Just a thought on a new look that might help us. We complain a lot about our wingers or lack there of for the top 2 lines.
    I liked your line pairings. I think alot will depend on the opponents D pairings.

If the Pens could just get the YP clicking at 20-25% rate, we'd all be dancing!!!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Problem [airing them 2 together is when you face teams that have better defense than the Islanders (and that's not difficult), it becomes easier to stack defense against a Sid and Geno line. If you do that, you easily beat the Pens cause Staal's line can't and won't score enough to be a "2nd line".

The only way to solve this problem is that guys like Fedotenko, Guerin and Ponikarovsky need to step up in the playoffs. Fedotenko has always been a good playpoff player, sometimes better in the playoffs than during regular season, Guerin plays well in the playoffs, Poni has played is entire career with Toronto so who knows the last time he was in the playoffs (sorry X).

Those guys need to step it up. We need to roll 4 real lines and keep sid and geno separated ... in the offseason, we need to address the lack of wingers, but we say this every season
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Problem [airing them 2 together is when you face teams that have better defense than the Islanders (and that's not difficult), it becomes easier to stack defense against a Sid and Geno line. If you do that, you easily beat the Pens cause Staal's line can't and won't score enough to be a "2nd line".

[HIGH-LIGHT]That's just it though, can a team stack the D and shut them down together? Stacjing the D would leave less for the other teams to put against a Staal kunitz Billy G line or a Poni TFK feds line. I'm just hoping that our playoff players will show up. [/HIGH-LIGHT]

The only way to solve this problem is that guys like Fedotenko, Guerin and Ponikarovsky need to step up in the playoffs. Fedotenko has always been a good playpoff player, sometimes better in the playoffs than during regular season, Guerin plays well in the playoffs, Poni has played is entire career with Toronto so who knows the last time he was in the playoffs (sorry X).

Those guys need to step it up. We need to roll 4 real lines and keep sid and geno separated ... in the offseason, we need to address the lack of wingers, but we say this every season
    poni better step it up

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm gonna take the exact opposite line of thought than kip...

Here is my thoughts. I say put Geno and Sid together and let the other team try to shut them down. I don't care what their defense looks like, it isn't better than those two together. Normally I would be all for keeping them separate, but our wingers aren't worth ****, and therefore, it is easier for other teams to shut them down when they are separated. If we had anyone on the wings worth anything I would say split them up, but the fact that we don't makes me think having them together gives us our best chances.

as for my thoughts on lines...

Geno, Sid, Poni
    Feds, Staal, Guerin
    Cooke, Max, TFK
    Dups, adams, Rupp

*Kunitz is still out
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm gonna take the exact opposite line of thought than kip...

Here is my thoughts. I say put Geno and Sid together and let the other team try to shut them down. I don't care what their defense looks like, it isn't better than those two together. Normally I would be all for keeping them separate, but our wingers aren't worth ****, and therefore, it is easier for other teams to shut them down when they are separated. If we had anyone on the wings worth anything I would say split them up, but the fact that we don't makes me think having them together gives us our best chances.

as for my thoughts on lines...

Geno, Sid, Poni
    Feds, Staal, Guerin
    Cooke, Max, TFK
    Dups, adams, Rupp

*Kunitz is still out
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 29

I don't think you put them together unless you have to. And by that I mean you're generating no even strength offense. Sid already faces the other teams top unit most of the time so force them to put a lesser pairing up against Malkin's line. Also, let's not forget Malkin and Poni have played little together due to suspension and injury. Let's see what they can do. Throw Fedo on that line and I really like it.

My 2 cents.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information