Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Angered and Embarassed

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Angered and Embarassed

Steelers angered, embarrassed by players’ missteps
    By ALAN ROBINSON AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH(AP)—The six-time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers don’t like losing - or being embarrassed. To a family owned team, image is more than an attractive logo.

So when the Steelers were humiliated on the same day by two star players who, only 15 months before, teamed to provide one of the franchise’s most memorable moments, they reacted without their usual deliberation and with an uncommon bit of anger.
    ADVERTISEMENT

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger(notes) is apparently off the hook legally for his alleged sexual assault in Georgia, but his troubles aren’t over. He must meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, possibly as early as this week, and could be fined or suspended under the league’s conduct policy.

There are more issues, too, for a franchise quarterback who won the Super Bowl twice in his first five NFL seasons.

Team president Art Rooney II, known to be frustrated and exasperated with Roethlisberger’s lack of maturity and judgment, said the quarterback must win back his teammates and his city. Maybe ownership, too.

“During the past few weeks, I have met with Ben on a number of occasions, not only to discuss this incident, but also to discuss his commitment to making sure this never happens again,” Rooney said in a statement. “The Pittsburgh Steelers take the conduct of players and staff very seriously. Ben will now have to work hard to earn back the respect and trust of Steelers fans, and to live up to the leadership responsibilities we all expect of him.”

Following the Goodell-Roethlisberger meeting, Rooney said, the Steelers “will determine the next steps in the process.”

There will be no next step with Santonio Holmes(notes).

Holmes, who caught the Roethlisberger pass that secured the Super Bowl victory over Arizona in February 2009, was traded Sunday night to the New York Jets for a fifth-round draft pick after the Steelers learned he would suspended four games for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy.

Holmes already had provoked the Steelers on multiple occasions. After being accused in a lawsuit of throwing a drink on a woman at an Orlando nightclub, Holmes answered with a long string of comments on his Twitter account in which he suggested a fan should try to kill himself and other tweets that detailed the player’s love of partying.

Only last month, coach Mike Tomlin said the Steelers’ standards for their players “are above and beyond that of our peers.”

That’s why, as a district attorney outlined Monday in great detail the embarrassing specifics of the nightclub incident involving Roethlisberger and his alleged victim in Milledgeville, Ga., the Steelers clearly were furious over their star’s conduct and the damage the allegations caused them and their reputation.

On a long and troubling day for one of professional sports’ most successful franchises, only Roethlisberger spoke publicly, reading a 74-second-long statement in which he expressed regret but did not take any questions.

Roethlisberger also read a statement last summer after a civil suit was brought in Nevada brought by a woman who accused him of assaulting her in a Lake Tahoe hotel in 2008.

Then, Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert immediately stood behind Roethlisberger in an apparent show of support. On Monday night, neither was present, and neither said a word about his situation.

“I’m truly sorry for the disappointment and negative attention I brought to my family, my teammates, coaches, the Rooneys and the NFL,” a visibly nervous Roethlisberger said in his first public comments since the incident. “I understand that the opportunities I have been blessed with are a privilege, and much is expected of me as the quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.”

Hours before, prosecutor Fred Bright lectured Roethlisberger at the same time he detailed why he will not prosecute him.

“Grow up,” Bright said. “Grow up, cut it out … You need to be a role model for your team, your city, the NFL. You can do better.”

The Steelers’ message likely was much firmer: Three strikes, and you’ll be out, regardless of your success and a $102 million contract that is only about half paid off.

Holmes, whose ability and production were upstaged by his frequent off-field troubles, was cast off to the Jets for the 155th pick in the upcoming draft - minimal compensation for an accomplished receiver. Clearly, the Steelers’ main goal was to cut ties with him. Quickly.

The Orlando incident followed a one-game suspension two years ago, after Pittsburgh police detected marijuana had been used in his car, and two others involving disorderly conduct in Florida and allegations of domestic violence in Ohio.

“We believe the move is in the best interests of the Pittsburgh Steelers,” Colbert said.

How soon they forget.

While Holmes’ gear remains behind in the Steelers’ locker room, the nameplate above his locker already has been removed.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...rsroethlisberg
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Angered and Embarassed

Steelers management

Now seriously tighten up Ben's happy ***.

I haven't said much at all lately about all this off-season nonsense, now I am.

Ben is a spoiled dirt bag who needs kept on a short leash, or traded.
    Last edited by Skeeter; Apr-12-2010 at 08:32 PM.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Team president Art Rooney II, known to be frustrated and exasperated with Roethlisberger’s lack of maturity and judgment, said the quarterback must win back his teammates and his city. Maybe ownership, too.
    Gonna be a tall order IMO...

... As a fan, I don't think he will win me back in any way... I know it's "politically correct" to say all the people in the world deserve second chances, but in my opinion, he's already had his. I don't give two ****s about him on any other level than producing results for my team. He is simply an employee of an organization, and as such, he needs to complete his job so as to keep said job... I couldn't care less about the drivel that spews from his mouth in press conferences anymore... Produce, follow the rules, or get fired... It's called "life".
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

I'm angered and embarassed by Ben's haircut...

Threads : 1

He needs a fashion consultant more than anything else. I don't think I've ever seen a man that looks bad in everything he wears except for Ben.

The haircut is embarrassing.

Papillon

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Holy **** - if you're defending against two sexual assault claims, you don't get a ****ing haircut like that.

Threads : 182

steelers QB to meet with Goodell tues (tomorrow) in NY just reported on espn

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, i'm going to have a hard time respecting Ben after all of this.

A simple man whore... and the whole DA, lack of evidence (because it was all hidden in both cases) is just more than enough.

The first time around, I didn't really think that Ben was guilty of anything. This time around, he's pretty much shown that hes a great football player, but an idiot.

Threads : 277

Too late to trade him and Holmes to Rams for their first four picks; maybe we just can get three from them for Ben.

This crappy behavior has legs and--as fans--this is not the last time we'll hear about some BB screw up, off the field. Plus he now will be a walking target for that ****.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Too late to trade him and Holmes to Rams for their first four picks; maybe we just can get three from them for Ben.

This crappy behavior has legs and--as fans--this is not the last time we'll hear about some BB screw up, off the field. Plus he now will be a walking target for that ****.
    This whole thing smells of a big giant coverup from many angles. I just listened to the DA's press conference, and quite frankly it seemed very suspicious.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Gonna be a tall order IMO...

... As a fan, I don't think he will win me back in any way... I know it's "politically correct" to say all the people in the world deserve second chances, but in my opinion, he's already had his. I don't give two ****s about him on any other level than producing results for my team. He is simply an employee of an organization, and as such, he needs to complete his job so as to keep said job... I couldn't care less about the drivel that spews from his mouth in press conferences anymore... Produce, follow the rules, or get fired... It's called "life".
    Bravo NKy,

Well said!!! We are mearly fans and, ultimately, not, the over-riding factor in Ben's "capers." I do not condone his behavior...nor will I crucify him for a couple of broads that want to get into his "pockets."

I've said it before, and I'll say it again...he "foul-tipped" strike three...

IT WILL NOT BE TOLERATED FROM HERE ON OUT!!! Me-thinks that point was made clear on the 'Tone trade.

Provided this BS gets figured out before AUG...and isnt an "in-season" distraction, I have no issues.

Me to Ben:

"Keep your nose (and pecker) clean," son...and you'll make more money than you can imagine!!!! Keep your "playboy capers" on the backburner until you get a 3rd ring and guarantee a bust in Canton....

...Perhaps he needs to have a chat with Namath

Threads : 6
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This whole thing smells of a big giant coverup from many angles. I just listened to the DA's press conference, and quite frankly it seemed very suspicious.
    The letter from her stating that they wanted to drop the charges smelled of payoff but I would bet a years salary that that DA turned over every lead he had to try to make a case against BB. He wanted this bad, just listen to that presser he gave. He was seathing.

Quote Originally Posted by CamoSteel View Post
    The letter from her stating that they wanted to drop the charges smelled of payoff but I would bet a years salary that that DA turned over every lead he had to try to make a case against BB. He wanted this bad, just listen to that presser he gave. He was seathing.
    I agree. Sounds like some guy in a black suit with an NFL logo on it secretly stopped by the girls parents house in the middle of the night with 2 briefcases filled with wrapped wads of thousand dollar bills.

I'm not saying all this crap taints the two superbowl victories, because it doesnt' since these incidents happened after them.. But man...this is going to stain the memories of being a diehard steeler fan for a while.

Threads : 10
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I'm angered and embarassed by Ben's haircut...

Perhaps a good *** kicking is in order for Roethlisberger. Leave your bodyguards and police buddies behind the next time that you go out Ben. Go ahead and "do" what it is that "you do" when you're out clubbing. A good *** kicking from a random club patron will typically straighten up the most ******* of men, at least for a while anyhow.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by Ohio Five-O View Post
    Perhaps a good *** kicking is in order for Roethlisberger. Leave your bodyguards and police buddies behind the next time that you go out Ben. Go ahead and "do" what it is that "you do" when you're out clubbing. A good *** kicking from a random club patron will typically straighten up the most ******* of men, at least for a while anyhow.
    LOL!!! Sad fact is that he "rolls" with Willie Colon...who can barely protect him on-field....much less off!!! (again...bton trying to get back to football conversation)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information