Thread: Lumber Co. : Outfield Defensive Positioning

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Lumber Co. : Outfield Defensive Positioning

Matt Bandi at Pittsburgh Lumber Co. did a really good piece on Outfield Positioning (another thing that helps makes a stat like UZR "off"). It's something we don't ever think about. When the ball lands in for a single in the OF, we blow it off. Watching the Giants game yesterday Im noticed a lot of hits into LF and noticed Milledge shifted to the right and this was despite a righty or lefty at the plate. Not Milledge's fault, since it likely comes from Russell's orders and Varsho probably applies to shifts.

Here's the link to the Article..

http://pittsburghlumberco.com/?p=2559
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Lumber Co. : Outfield Defensive Positioning

That's a complete departure from what they did last year, which was play Milledge closer to the line because Cutch can cover so much ground in CF.

Just makes me scratch my head. I think Russell, and managers in general, tend to overthink things.

Threads : 122

milledge should of at least attempted to dive for the one hit that landed at his feet after he let up on it in the first inning the other day. Cost 2 runs i think.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That's a complete departure from what they did last year, which was play Milledge closer to the line because Cutch can cover so much ground in CF.

Just makes me scratch my head. I think Russell, and managers in general, tend to overthink things.
    Yeah, I want to say that they tended to shift Cutch more to the left last year than where he has been playing this year (more center).

The coaching staff not adjusting their shifts per batter and per ballpark makes me wonder if this teams atrocious record on the road under Russell hasn't been affected by those decisions

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    milledge should of at least attempted to dive for the one hit that landed at his feet after he let up on it in the first inning the other day. Cost 2 runs i think.
    He'd have never gotten it, not from his angle. I remember the play you're talking about but he had no choice but to let up.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Yeah, I want to say that they tended to shift Cutch more to the left last year than where he has been playing this year (more center).

The coaching staff not adjusting their shifts per batter and per ballpark makes me wonder if this teams atrocious record on the road under Russell hasn't been affected by those decisions

I've long been saying that Russell isn't the reason that we're a bad team, per se, but he's certainly not a benefit to the team. I just don't think that he's a good manager or the right guy to manage a young, hopefully, up and coming team. But that's another discussion for another thread.

Threads : 138

"What were the Pirates doing on defense?

The Post-Gazette's Dejan Kovacevic observed something quite extraordinary: in the early going of the Pirates-Giants game, the Pirates consistently shifted all three outfielders towards right, even with right-handed batters at the plate. This allowed Aaron Rowand's leadoff double and Mark DeRosa's broken-bat, two-run single before the shift was removed. Kovacevic believes that Lastings Milledge could have reached both of those balls had he been positioned properly.

I didn't watch the game live, but I just now went back and watched the replay on MLB.tv and, yes, the shift was rather ridiculous. The Giants broadcasters began questioning it during Edgar Renteria's first inning at bat, saying that the Pirates "must have last season's scouting report," because unlike last year when Renteria was battling injuries, he can now pull the ball again. Even if that's the case with Rowand, there's no word on why they were running it during everyone else's at bats. And I'll add that the problem was exacerbated by the fact that the Pirates' starter Brian Burres is a guy who works the cut fastball inside and that even if he's not throwing there on purpose -- which is rare -- he misses inside all the time, which makes pulling the ball into an empty left field pretty **** easy. Just ask Mark DeRosa.

Overall, Kovacevic notes, seven fly balls were hit to left with no outs recorded "through no fault of his own. He simply could not cover the ground to get to them, whether because of foul luck or flawed advance scouting or positioning."

Pirates baseball: it's FAN-tastic!"
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...fense.html.php

Threads : 24

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    "What were the Pirates doing on defense?

The Post-Gazette's Dejan Kovacevic observed something quite extraordinary: in the early going of the Pirates-Giants game, the Pirates consistently shifted all three outfielders towards right, even with right-handed batters at the plate. This allowed Aaron Rowand's leadoff double and Mark DeRosa's broken-bat, two-run single before the shift was removed. Kovacevic believes that Lastings Milledge could have reached both of those balls had he been positioned properly.

I didn't watch the game live, but I just now went back and watched the replay on MLB.tv and, yes, the shift was rather ridiculous. The Giants broadcasters began questioning it during Edgar Renteria's first inning at bat, saying that the Pirates "must have last season's scouting report," because unlike last year when Renteria was battling injuries, he can now pull the ball again. Even if that's the case with Rowand, there's no word on why they were running it during everyone else's at bats. And I'll add that the problem was exacerbated by the fact that the Pirates' starter Brian Burres is a guy who works the cut fastball inside and that even if he's not throwing there on purpose -- which is rare -- he misses inside all the time, which makes pulling the ball into an empty left field pretty **** easy. Just ask Mark DeRosa.

Overall, Kovacevic notes, seven fly balls were hit to left with no outs recorded "through no fault of his own. He simply could not cover the ground to get to them, whether because of foul luck or flawed advance scouting or positioning."

Pirates baseball: it's FAN-tastic!"
    http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/20...fense.html.php
    Wow, that's unbelieveably ****ing. They are doing a lot of strange things with OF positioning and appear to be out of posiiton more often than than not, imo.
    Last edited by buccoman; Apr-14-2010 at 09:15 AM. Reason: add something

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information