Thread: After One Week...

Threads : 138

Default After One Week...

Just like analyzing the "winners and losers" of the NFL draft the next day, analyzing the Pittsburgh Pirates v2010 after one week of play is probably meaningless but makes for some interesting discussion...

From Pat Lackey at whygavs:
    "- The bullpen has pitched well, but there's a huge drop-off from Javier Lopez and DJ Carrasco to Hayden Penn and Jack Taschner. While the late-inning guys have held the leads they've been given, DJ Carrasco can't pitch two innings every game and if the starters can't get out of the fifth and sixth innings regularly, these bullpen meltdowns are going to keep happening so long as Penn and Taschner are on the roster.

- The offense may not hit for much power in the long run (even though they're currently third in the league with eight homers), but the team OBP through six games is .343, good for sixth in the league. There's a different type of hitter throughout the lineup now, from Iwamura to LaRoche to McCutchen to even Jeff Clement that can work the count deep, make opposing pitchers throw some pitches, and take some walks. This is where the offense has the potential to be better than years past, I think.

- Charlie Morton is going to alternate between brilliant and frustrating all year, I think. He inherits the mantle of Jason Schmidt, Kris Benson, Kip Wells, Oliver Perez, and Ian Snell.

- This is not a 110 loss team, and though it's early I feel pretty certain that it's not a 100 loss team either. But then, it's also not an 82-win team."
    http://www.whygavs.com/

Threads : 138

Default Re: After One Week...

- I hope he's not right about Charlie Morton, but it "feels" like he is so far.

- I don't think I would lump Taschner with Penn. Penn sucks. Taschner is a serviceable lefty outta the bullpen, IMO.

Threads : 0

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - I hope he's not right about Charlie Morton, but it "feels" like he is so far.

- I don't think I would lump Taschner with Penn. Penn sucks. Taschner is a serviceable lefty outta the bullpen, IMO.

Taschner isn't anything to get excited over, but I agree that he is better than Penn. So is a jar of cucumbers. But, the point remains.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just like analyzing the "winners and losers" of the NFL draft the next day, analyzing the Pittsburgh Pirates v2010 after one week of play is probably meaningless but makes for some interesting discussion...

From Pat Lackey at whygavs:
    "- The bullpen has pitched well, but there's a huge drop-off from Javier Lopez and DJ Carrasco to Hayden Penn and Jack Taschner. While the late-inning guys have held the leads they've been given, DJ Carrasco can't pitch two innings every game and if the starters can't get out of the fifth and sixth innings regularly, these bullpen meltdowns are going to keep happening so long as Penn and Taschner are on the roster.

- The offense may not hit for much power in the long run (even though they're currently third in the league with eight homers), but the team OBP through six games is .343, good for sixth in the league. There's a different type of hitter throughout the lineup now, from Iwamura to LaRoche to McCutchen to even Jeff Clement that can work the count deep, make opposing pitchers throw some pitches, and take some walks. This is where the offense has the potential to be better than years past, I think.

- Charlie Morton is going to alternate between brilliant and frustrating all year, I think. He inherits the mantle of Jason Schmidt, Kris Benson, Kip Wells, Oliver Perez, and Ian Snell.

- This is not a 110 loss team, and though it's early I feel pretty certain that it's not a 100 loss team either. But then, it's also not an 82-win team."
    http://www.whygavs.com/

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

Although I fear that we're one injury away from going to a bad team to a terrible team, especially if a starting pitcher goes down.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

My assessment so far is that the team has a whole has been decent. They haven't been great but nothing real bad either.

The pitching hasn't been terrible. In each loss it's been 1 inning that's killed us and those 1 inning type deals can usually be flukey. I mean it was a fluke instance for Morton last year when he had that 1 bad inning against Chicago. for that reason alone, I disagree that Morton is going to be like Ollie Perez or Schmidt, Benson or Ian Snell (seriously, Snell?).

We knew Penn sucked. We knew Burres sucked. there's 2 loses. Penn's already gone and Burress is just a fill in temporarily right now.

Daniel Mccutchen looked awful but his strength - control wasn't there. That can happen.

There's nothing that's stuck out in the first week that is alarming. The bats are about where you expect them to be. Inconsistent as a whole but producing enough that if we got average pitching, we can win which has happened.

The back end of the pen has been a nice surprise. Even with Dotel providing strokes and heart attacks to Pirates fans last night, him, Donnelly, Lopez, Hanrahan and Meek have looked pretty and their "stuff" looks good early on which is important, cause if the command and control isn't, it will with time. rust is normal early in a season.

I think it was a good start to the season. I'm not going to get TOO excited. We had a winning record after last April.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 2

I thought we already did a 'First Week of the Season' thing?....

http://www.pittsburghsportstavern.co...ead.php?t=4237

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information