Thread: Ohlendorf "unlikely" for Saturday

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ohlendorf "unlikely" for Saturday

Ohlendorf “unlikely” for Saturday
    April 14th, 2010
    Rob Biertempfel makes the call from Pittsburgh Pirates baseball

SAN FRANCISCO — It is “unlikely” that righty Ross Ohlendorf will make his next scheduled start Saturday against the Reds, according to manager John Russell.

This morning, Ohlendorf played catch instead of attempting a bullpen session. “He felt good, but it’s pretty unlikely he’ll pitch Saturday,” Russell said. The main issue is Ohlendorf’s lower back, which locked up on him Friday in Arizona. But remember also that he is building up some rust on his arm: Ohlendorf has not pitched since going five innings April 7 in a no-decision against the Dodgers at PNC Park.

Even if Ohlendorf cannot go Saturday, Russell was not ready to commit to a stint on the disabled list. Brian Burres, who started and went four innings Monday against the Giants, is still with the team and could make another spot start Saturday. Another possibility is Daniel McCutchen, who Monday was optioned to Triple-A Indianapolis

http://blog.triblive.com/bucco-blog/...rgh+Pirates%29

Sore back puts Ohlendorf's status in limbo
    By Rob Biertempfel, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010

[IMGL]http://i40.tinypic.com/23kp1c8.jpg[/IMGL]SAN FRANCISCO -- The Pirates on Monday optioned right-hander Daniel McCutchen to Triple-A, but he might not make it back to Indianapolis.

Last night, McCutchen was in his workout uniform in the Pirates' clubhouse, as the team prepared to play the San Francisco Giants at AT&T Park. McCutchen could remain with the team and rejoin the rotation Saturday if righty Ross Ohlendorf is placed on the disabled list.

Ohlendorf was supposed to start last night's game, but was scratched due to lower back spasms. Ohlendorf's back locked up on him Friday morning, as he bent over to put his shoes on at the team hotel in Arizona.

"I was sitting on the bed," Ohlendorf said. "It was a pretty soft bed, so I think that's what did it."

Manager John Russell said Ohlendorf's injury is muscle-related, not a disc or other structural problem.

"It locked up on him pretty good," Russell said. "He's been back and forth. We're optimistic he can start (Saturday)."

Ohlendorf is slated to throw a bullpen session Wednesday. If he cannot do that, he'll likely be placed on the DL.

"I can't throw right now," Ohlendorf said. "I'm working toward where I hopefully can throw soon. It's definitely a lot better than it was the first day."

Left-hander Brian Burres was called up from Triple-A Indianapolis and started last night's game. Burres pitched in three games for the Pirates in spring training and put up a 14.73 ERA. In 3 2/3 innings, he allowed four hits and seven walks and got one strikeout.

"Brian was a little shaky early," Russell said. "He got better as the spring went along."

Under MLB rules, a major league team cannot call up a member of its 40-man roster before April 14 unless it puts another player on the DL. That factored heavily into the decision to call up Burres.

To clear a spot on the 40-man for Burres, right-hander Hayden Penn was designated for assignment.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_676116.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 2

Default Re: Ohlendorf "unlikely" for Saturday

These things happen I guess, but they shouldn't. Basically he's blaming the fact the matress in his hotel room was too soft for him missing a start, which I don't think I've heard that one before.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    These things happen I guess, but they shouldn't. Basically he's blaming the fact the matress in his hotel room was too soft for him missing a start, which I don't think I've heard that one before.
    Yeah, blaming the softness of a bed seems pretty far fetched especially for an athlete. I can understand normal guys like you and me...but not guys that are supposed to be in good physical condition
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Must have been those late night movies.

Threads : 138

I can't wait to see Brian Burress pitch again!

Edit: Nevermind...
    Last edited by tocchet92; Apr-17-2010 at 01:41 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information