Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pens/Sens Game 1

Threads : 70

Default Pens/Sens Game 1

A clinic in how not to play goalie by both net minders. 29 has played like crap all year. Sure, you can win a cup with him but he has not developed into the top tier goalie that a #1 draft pick should be. Elliot was just as bad.

Threads : 29

Default Re: Pens/Sens Game 1

Fluery looked just like he did in 07 against the Sens during his first playoff series. We were suppose to have the advantage in goal.

I hear/read from the media and fans how Fluery was a big reason why the Pens won the cup last year. To his credit he made key saves and the Pens won the cup with him at goal. The Redwings won with Osgood too...think he was a big reason? Fluery had one of the lowest playoff save % for a Cup winning goalie over the last 20 years. The Pens D kept the shots down againts teams, in particular vs the Caps & Wings. That is the biggest reason for the championship. Your goalie needs to be your best defenseman and without Scuds/Gill, the D is going to allow more shots on goal. The weak link all season has been the goalie, the goalie needs to meet the challenge.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hear/read from the media and fans how Fluery was a big reason why the Pens won the cup last year. To his credit he made key saves and the Pens won the cup with him at goal. The Redwings won with Osgood too...think he was a big reason? Fluery had one of the lowest playoff save % for a Cup winning goalie over the last 20 years. The Pens D kept the shots down againts teams, in particular vs the Caps & Wings. That is the biggest reason for the championship. Your goalie needs to be your best defenseman and without Scuds/Gill, [HIGH-LIGHT]the D is going to allow more shots on goal.[/HIGH-LIGHT] The weak link all season has been the goalie, the goalie needs to meet the challenge.
    The problem there is that the Pens WITHOUT Gill and Scuderi are allowing less shots per game and last night allowed just 26 SOG which is lower than their season average of Goals Against.

Don't get me wrong, MAF needs to play better, he needs to be that goaltender that keeps it's team in games when the guys out in front are struggling. He didn't do that but...

We had just 21 SOG against Ottawa. 21 SOG coming from the defending Champs on HOME ICE following a season where we averaged 32 shots per game.

We can whine about MAF all we want, but we won't win any games with that type of output. you can't. The offense was beyond putrid in every aspect fo the game. The forecheck was terrible, we coughed up pucks in the neutral zone, the forwards were lazy on the backcheck, lazy in neutral ice, failed to take the high man when the D would pinch which lead to 2 goals off the rush .....

Sadly enough I thought that the defense itself did an alright job for the most part against Ottawa but we won't win a single game mustering 21 SOG. That's the #1 concern for me. MAF has his good games and bad games ... but the rest of the team can't play that poor...

....then there's coaching and preparation... Looked like Michel Therrien's team right before he was fired
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry, but if you can't win a playoff game with 4 goals, then you have to wonder what the **** your goalie is doing back there. Would I like to see more shots on goal? Sure, but we got 4 goals. If 4 goals isn't enough to win a playoff game, then the first place you gotta look is goaltender.

On a positive note, it's nice to see Craig Adams flip the switch to playoff mode...haha
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 35
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree that the entire team looked horrid last night, and I think they all need a kick in the *** to wake up. I will put blame from the top to the bottom for that game, nobody looked great. In the GDT I did say to pull MAF, but mostly, look what happens when you do, yes we ended up coming within a goal, but maybe Johnson made that save on Ruutu also, but then look how MAF has responded after getting pulled this year in the next game, it seems to bring out his A game, so, that was my reasoning, he was already beat mentally, so why not try that tactic?
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The problem there is that the Pens WITHOUT Gill and Scuderi are allowing less shots per game and last night allowed just 26 SOG which is lower than their season average of Goals Against.

Don't get me wrong, MAF needs to play better, he needs to be that goaltender that keeps it's team in games when the guys out in front are struggling. He didn't do that but...

We had just 21 SOG against Ottawa. 21 SOG coming from the defending Champs on HOME ICE following a season where we averaged 32 shots per game.
    Good point...but the Pens still scored 4(Elliot sucked too)with the low amount of shots. The third lines for each team was also the difference. Staal's line is supposed to be the mismatch and advantage.
    I was surprised to see the Sens outshoot the Pens...that has to change or there will be a longer wait till meaningful sports in Pgh come Sept.

Honestly, I would bench him for the next game...but obviously, that won't happen. So I hope they have a quick trigger finger for pulling him as soon as he lets in one of his patent softies.

ok, I feel a MAF rant coming on...

Johnson isn't good enough to warrant pulling a $4mil goalie from net in the playoffs, This is why I don't like the Johnson extension. we need someone who can legitimately push MAF for the starting job. Unfortunately with MAF's huge cap hit, we can't afford a good enough backup to push him...its all or nothing with MAF. This team doesnt need a goalie of MAF's pedigree. And by that I mean we don't need a goalie who was drafted number 1 overall who has the potential to be a great goalie and who commands a salary like MAF does. With the team we have, we just need an average NHL goalie.

I don't care if MAF can make highlight reel saves...it doesn't mean **** if he can't stop a wrist shot from Jarko Ruutu or Chris Neil.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Im sorry, and I have cooled down a LOT on my criticism of Fleury...but you score FOUR goals on 21 shots...even despite the rest of the team sucking...you're at HOME with a lead and your goaltender couldn't stop a midget player...just terrible.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

sjdrewk

Fluery sucked. I blame him for the loss this time. Some weak *** goals were allowed by him, he was all over the ice last night. Erratic in goal.Slow to react all night. Poor outing. He better get it together or the rest of the team will feel like they can't count on him and the playoffs will start to slip away. IF we are so cocky that we think the Sens aren't capable of beating the Pens then we are in trouble already.

They were awful in all aspects of the game most of last night. What most disturbs me most is they were making the same bad deciions/turnovers in their own end they have been making for weeks. As I said in the GDT.... "Same people, same mistakes."

Fluery was bad. 3 of those goals were anywhere from bad to awful. I still have no idea how Ruutu's got in. Of course he never gets that opportunity if Letang doesn't get horribly out of position.

players being out of position happens...on every team...at every level. They get caught in traffic, there is a weird bounce, or just plain bad decisions...it happens...No team is exempt from it...That is when you have to depend on your goalie to make the saves. If no one was ever out of position, then there would be no shots on goal by either team EVER... and every game would end in a 0-0 tie. You can blame Kris letang for being out of position all day long, but the fact remains MAF let in a horribly weak goal from 25 feet away with absolutely no traffic in between him and the shooter. How about the 25 shots that never happened because Kris Letang WAS in position to stop them. Like I said, EVERY player is out of position from time to time, the game is too fast paced to be played perfectly all the time. And when those players get out of position, you have to rely on your goalie to make the saves...The Pens only gave up 26 shots last night, so they must have been doing something right defensively. For MAF to only make 21 saves is unacceptable...

You're letting your Fluery hatred get to you. I clearly said he was "bad" and I "don't know how Ruutu's goal got it" which clearly means it was a bad/horrible goal. That's far from blaming Letang.

I only used Letang as an example of the rest of the team not playing well either. Believe it or not two players can screw up on one play.

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Is there an echo in here?

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    You're letting your Fluery hatred get to you. I clearly said he was "bad" and I "don't know how Ruutu's goal got it" which clearly means it was a bad/horrible goal. That's far from blaming Letang.

I only used Letang as an example of the rest of the team not playing well either. Believe it or not two players can screw up on one play.
    Sorry, I know it seemed like it, but I wasn't directing that comment at you specifically...more directed at the general thought of other players not being in position. I just used your Letang reference since it was fresh in my mind after reading your post.
    Last edited by BGK; Apr-15-2010 at 01:08 PM.

• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information