Thread: Some early draft stuff

Threads : 197

Default Some early draft stuff

The order tends to change dramatically over the course of the season, but the first round names usually stay relatively similar in the end. This is a great site for quick writeups on a lot of the prospects. I wouldn't read too much into the actual picks in the mock draft, but it's there for a sort of ranking of the players currently.

The Mock Draft:
    http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/10/05/t...10-mock-draft/

Outfielders:
    http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/10/07/2010-outfielders/

Middle Infielders:
    http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/10/08/2...le-infielders/

His mock has the Pirates taking Pitcher Anthony Ranaudo at 2 overall (with Harper going 1). Ranaudo's a guy who scouts love based on his huge size (6'7") and good control. Seems like he hasn't really established himself as that dominant starter, though, so I suspect if he (or someone else) doesn't the Pirates may pass and go the position player route. This year's group is supposed to be even weaker than last year's. Christian Colon sounds interesting right now, we'll see how the season goes, though.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Some early draft stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The order tends to change dramatically over the course of the season, but the first round names usually stay relatively similar in the end. This is a great site for quick writeups on a lot of the prospects. I wouldn't read too much into the actual picks in the mock draft, but it's there for a sort of ranking of the players currently.

The Mock Draft:
    http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/10/05/t...10-mock-draft/

Outfielders:
    http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/10/07/2010-outfielders/

Middle Infielders:
    http://mlbbonusbaby.com/2009/10/08/2...le-infielders/

His mock has the Pirates taking Pitcher Anthony Ranaudo at 2 overall (with Harper going 1). Ranaudo's a guy who scouts love based on his huge size (6'7") and good control. Seems like he hasn't really established himself as that dominant starter, though, so I suspect if he (or someone else) doesn't the Pirates may pass and go the position player route. This year's group is supposed to be even weaker than last year's. Christian Colon sounds interesting right now, we'll see how the season goes, though.
    Big guy with good control sounds like someone that would excite Starks. Maybe not the control so much..lol... but the key thing to most likely look at when guessing who the Pirates will pick is probably raw tools and talent. Not sure if it's Starks, might be the other guy and I can't remember names right now who really loves the raw players. That pitcher sounds like someone very similar

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if you've guys ever have seen Ranaudo or Deck McGuire pitch live...but they both have good stuff...great pitching demeanors...and are massive figures on the mound.

Im a huge fan of pitching...but overall there are several college pitchers who pique my interest (although with the #2 overall pick some will likely not be the best value there):

1. Anthony Ranaudo, DUH, the kid is 6'7 235 lbs...mid-90's fast ball with a big sweeping curve to go along with it and a changeup with significant bite...Ranaudo had a 3.04 ERA in 124.1 IP last year for LSU and had 159 Ks to only 50 BBs...and had a .209 BAA...with a WHIP around 1.13...if he has a similar season this coming year for LSU he'll be the favorite by far to be the pick for the Pirates...and I can't say I'd mind it at all. A dominating figure with stuff to boot? I'd love for the Pirates to have a player like that...we'll see how he fairs this season (if he has another K9 around 11-12 again...he'll be hard to pass up).
    2. Deck McGuire, he's tall at 6'6, but he's lanky compared to Ranaudo only weighing in at around 215 lbs...he has 4 pitches that he can throw for strikes all at average-to-above average...his era has consistently been right around 3.50 for GTech...his whip averages around 1.30...and his K9 in the 9s. Not statistics that warrant a #2 pick for sure...but one nice thing to think about is that he does have upside and unlike MANY/MOST college pitchers he's not pitched significant innings to the point where his arm is likely to fall off--only around 180 for his first two seasons.
    3. Drew Pomerantz, I actually like Pomerantz more than McGuire. He's also a big pitcher at 6'5 and 235...and he's got pretty **** good stuff. He's pitched around 170 innings yet has 200 K's...averages almost 11 K9...and his WHIP last year was pretty respectable at 1.28. Maybe I just have more exposure to him...but I think this kid is going to be really good. If he puts up another 11-12 K9 this year I think we're going to see him move up the boards...and if the Pirates were to "go cheap" (LOL) and select a pitcher other than Ranaudo...I actually would not hate them for selecting Pomerantz. He's got an awkward delivery that has some talking about him only being a mid-first pick..and truly he hasn't had that dominant year yet to make him a top-first pick (neither did Sanchez last year btw)...but people said the same thing about NL Cy Young winner Tim Lincecum when he came out.

James Paxton and Justin Grimm also are decent players...but I dont like them as much as the three above...or specifically Ranaudo and Pomerantz.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Also note that Pomeranz is a lefty. Always have to keep that in mind. The Pirates also seem to have some scouting ties to Ole Miss, as they signed two of their starters (Nate Baker and Phil Irwin) in this year's draft class. There may be some interest there.

If you go with H.S. pitchers its either Taillon or Cole...with Taillon getting the edge in my book. The 17 year old is 6'7 235 lbs and already throws 95-96. He's got a big sweeping curve and has already been compared to Stephen Strasburg...ALREADY! As a H.S. pitcher he's already got 4 plus pitches with a fastball, curveball, slider, and changeup...this massive young kid profiles as a top of the rotation pitcher and if he develops properly a dominant #1 pitcher.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Also note that Pomeranz is a lefty. Always have to keep that in mind. The Pirates also seem to have some scouting ties to Ole Miss, as they signed two of their starters (Nate Baker and Phil Irwin) in this year's draft class. There may be some interest there.
    Yes, he is a lefty. Also, just as an FYI...he set the US national team strikeout record at 17 against Guatemala or something. Crazy good. IF he has another dominant year like he did last year (or better) and the Pirates don't want to go with Ranaudo...this kid could be our guy. A lefty with power, a dominating curve, and ability to be a #1-2 pitcher? I'll take it.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    If you go with H.S. pitchers its either Taillon or Cole...with Taillon getting the edge in my book. The 17 year old is 6'7 235 lbs and already throws 95-96. He's got a big sweeping curve and has already been compared to Stephen Strasburg...ALREADY! As a H.S. pitcher he's already got 4 plus pitches with a fastball, curveball, slider, and changeup...this massive young kid profiles as a top of the rotation pitcher and if he develops properly a dominant #1 pitcher.
    This pitcher sounds most appealing. I don't trust college pitchers. Any coach whose job depends on wins will pitch the **** out of a kid to keep his job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This pitcher sounds most appealing. I don't trust college pitchers. Any coach whose job depends on wins will pitch the **** out of a kid to keep his job.
    From a future perspective H.S. pitchers are better b/c you have more control over their development...but the problem is that we drafted and signed a ton of H.S. pitchers this last draft and NOW...with some big guys ready to step up and hopefully help the big club from the every-day player role...it MIGHT be better to have a pitcher who is closer to the bigs.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    There have been some recent successes who came in as top 10 picks, but historically high school pitchers selected in the top 10 have been the least likely players to succeed. As you get deeper and deeper into the draft, the performance levels tend to even out, but in the early part of the draft in particular college hitters tend to perform far and away the best, followed by college pitchers, then high school hitters, and finally high school pitchers. Guys like Clayton Kershaw are definitely the exception rather than the rule in that category.

There have been some recent successes who came in as top 10 picks, but historically high school pitchers selected in the top 10 have been the least likely players to succeed. As you get deeper and deeper into the draft, the performance levels tend to even out, but in the early part of the draft in particular college hitters tend to perform far and away the best, followed by college pitchers, then high school hitters, and finally high school pitchers. Guys like Clayton Kershaw are definitely the exception rather than the rule in that category.
    I generally agree...I think that the kids who go to college may have more pitches on their arms but they also learn how to pitch more. However, Taillon is a BIG boy...and a kid who even if he turns into 75% of his comparison to Stephen Strasburg--as a collegiate player--would be someone you wouldn't want to look back and say you had a chance to pick.

Still...all in all...I'd probably stick with Ranaudo and Pomerantz...at least for now. LOL.
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information