Thread: The whole 9 innings?

Threads : 2

Default The whole 9 innings?

Last night was the Pirates 3rd walk-off win already this season. Don't know what you guys think, but one thing I am noticing about this team this year, is that they are tough to beat in close games, they are very resilient, they play the whole 9 innings, especially when they are in a position to win a game. We've won a lot of close games, beating the Dodgers 4-3 in the 10th, beat the Giants 6-5 hanging on in the
    9th after taking a 6-3 lead, and now two back-to-back walk off wins against the Reds. These are all games we could easily have lost, but through playing hard and not lying down, we won. We're now 6-5, which I'm sure we all agree counts as a great first couple of weeks, but we could just as easily be 3-8, and I like it how the team stays in close games right until the final pitch.

Can't wait for this afternoon, we're going to the game, leaving for the big city in about an hour, our first of the season, got really great seats too, right field box, my kids are pretty pumped, so today it's really our opening day!
    Last edited by Mothman; Apr-18-2010 at 07:19 AM.

Threads : 122

Default Re: The whole 9 innings?

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last night was the Pirates 3rd walk-off win already this season. Don't know what you guys think, but one thing I am noticing about this team this year, is that they are tough to beat in close games, they are very resilient, they play the whole 9 innings, especially when they are in a position to win a game. We've won a lot of close games, beating the Dodgers 4-3 in the 10th, beat the Giants 6-5 hanging on in the
    9th after taking a 6-3 lead, and now two back-to-back walk off wins against the Reds. These are all games we could easily have lost, but through playing hard and not lying down, we won. We're now 6-5, which I'm sure we all agree counts as a great first couple of weeks, but we could just as easily be 3-8, and I like it how the team stays in close games right until the final pitch.

Can't wait for this afternoon, we're going to the game, leaving for the big city in about an hour, our first of the season, got really great seats too, right field box, my kids are pretty pumped, so today it's really our opening day!
    Agree with your assessment. Our starting pitching has been pretty ****ty and we are still setting on 6 wins to 5 losses so I will take the start to this season for sure, record wise. If Morton & Malholm could chip in with some quality starts we might have something. Duke looks like he is money so far this year so hopefully he keeps it up. Bullpen looks 10x better than last year. ]

Hope you have fun at the game. Kind of chilly so hope it warms up a little for you guys. LET'S GO BUCS! I call a big game by Jones with one in the Allegheny!

Threads : 215

You might have to buy the kids new windbreakers!

Threads : 2

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    You might have to buy the kids new windbreakers!
    Man, you are right. It was freezing, can't have been much above 40 degrees, though kids don't seem to feel the cold, and anyway they all got a free Andy LaRoche replica home jersey, which were on promotion. But another really nicely played game by the Pirates, one big offensive inning (5th) and then good containment by the pitching. Even though it was cold, a worryingly small attendance for a Sunday afternoon (13,000)... this is a team now only one game back from first place in the central, and probably about as good as it is likely to get all year.
    Last edited by Mothman; Apr-19-2010 at 02:59 AM.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not to be a Debbie Downer....and I love the fight that this team has....but one run games do not spell out a good team. They are just as close to losing games as well. It's the blowout games that hinge a season...and if they continue to be outscored and the pitching continues to falter, then these one run wins turn into losses...etc. Yes, these wins show hart, and they tend to buold confidence that yes, we can win....but a pitch here and a pitch there or a hit just the same spells a loss rather than a win. Good teams win close games, but great teams kick the snot out of people....and bad teams get the snot kicked out of them, and well, we have already had our share of those this year.

I love this team and the winning spin it has credited early, but I'm waiting for the shoe to fall on these one run games.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by SteelKeg View Post
    Not to be a Debbie Downer....and I love the fight that this team has....but one run games do not spell out a good team. They are just as close to losing games as well. It's the blowout games that hinge a season...and if they continue to be outscored and the pitching continues to falter, then these one run wins turn into losses...etc. Yes, these wins show hart, and they tend to buold confidence that yes, we can win....but a pitch here and a pitch there or a hit just the same spells a loss rather than a win. Good teams win close games, but great teams kick the snot out of people....and bad teams get the snot kicked out of them, and well, we have already had our share of those this year.

I love this team and the winning spin it has credited early, but I'm waiting for the shoe to fall on these one run games.
    I'm not sure that I agree with that philosophy...

Blow out games happen but the reality is over the 162 course of a season you run into a lot more 1-2 run game scenerios and the good teams win those games, the bad teams lose them. The Pirates have been one of those bad teams. the Pirates have been that team that finds ways to lose games, that hands the opposition runs when they have a lead or the game is close.

I think it's always a positive for the team to winc lose games, it's perhaps one of the more important aspects of winning and losing. We saw what happened with the Steelers when they couldn't hold leads and win close games.

IF the Pirates can get solid starting pitching, they have a chance to win games. I'm not talking about holding the opponent to 2 runs per game. That's unrealistic but 2-4 runs per game, this team has a chance. I'm still trying to figure out how we are 7-5 with some of the stats on this team though
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Walk offs are fun.
    But yesterday's win was the one that gave me the most statisfaction.
    They had a nice pad which created room for mistakes, like giving up the Bruce dong in the ninth.
    (yeah, I prefer to call homers dongs, it's funny.)

Plus, the solid performances from guys like Church and Jaramillo.
    It's so nice to have guys like that on the bench.

But there is just no wiggle room with this rotation, and that causes me to worry that things could get ugly before it's all said and done.

And those middle of the order guys need to wake up those bats.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    Walk offs are fun.
    But yesterday's win was the one that gave me the most statisfaction.
    They had a nice pad which created room for mistakes, like giving up the Bruce dong in the ninth.
    (yeah, I prefer to call homers dongs, it's funny.)

Plus, the solid performances from guys like Church and Jaramillo.
    It's so nice to have guys like that on the bench.

But there is just no wiggle room with this rotation, and that causes me to worry that things could get ugly before it's all said and done.

And those middle of the order guys need to wake up those bats.
    I can't remember who was in the booth yesterday. They all tend to sound exactly the same outside of Jim Nevrette. It was Blass or Walk and they made a great point about Dotel's "donger" ... they said something along the lines that in his previous outting, Dotel was challenging the batters and it caused him to not throw strikes and be completely off. They said, that is always going to get you into trouble and that they loved Dotel's approach yesterday. He attacked every hitter, challenged them and threw strikes and said "here it is". Jay Bruce connected, probably guessed right but the other 3 batters looked terrible at the plate
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information