Thread: Sporting News names Mike Scioscia, Jim Tracy AL, NL managers of the year

sjdrewk

Default Sporting News names Mike Scioscia, Jim Tracy AL, NL managers of the year

Sporting News names Mike Scioscia, Jim Tracy AL, NL managers of the year
    Chris Bahr, SportingNews
    5 hours, 5 minutes ago
    Buzz up! 0
    Print

Mike Scioscia's steady leadership helped the Angels' players overcome the death of a teammate.
    The Los Angeles Angels' Mike Scioscia and the Colorado Rockies' Jim Tracy are Sporting News' 2009 managers of the year, as selected by a panel of 22 major league managers.

Scioscia's Angels went 97-65 and won their fifth AL West title in the past six seasons. They advanced to the ALCS for the third time since 2002.

"Mike wants you to play loose. He lets you be you. He stays on top of everything that's going on," Angels right fielder Bobby Abreu(notes) told Sporting News. "After the Nick Adenhart(notes) tragedy, it was very tough for us. Mike understood that and didn't talk a lot about our play for about two weeks. Then he said, 'We are going through a horrible time, but we have to go out and play the game. So let's enjoy playing and get back to our normal game.' He not only kept us together but he helped bring us closer together as a team."

ADVERTISEMENT

The Rockies responded to the straight-shooting Jim Tracy and made the playoffs.
    Tracy took over for the fired Clint Hurdle on May 29 and led the Rockies to a 74-42 finish and the NL wild card.

"When he took over the job, we had a meeting and he told us, 'Here is what I expect, and if I don't get this, there are going to be changes and I will find people.' Then we lost our first three games in Houston, and he came in that next day and said, 'Guys, I want to just let you guys play the game. But if you all force me to come out here, I'm going to come out here,'" Rockies closer Huston Street(notes) told SN. "He let us know full well what he thought and wasn't shy about naming names. But he did it in such a classy manner. It could have been a catastrophe, but the way he stuck to his word, he earned that trust and respect."

Sporting News will unveil its award winners throughout the week on sportingnews.com. On Tuesday, Philadelphia Phillies left-hander J.A. Happ(notes) and Chicago White Sox third baseman Gordon Beckham(notes) were named SN's 2009 rookies of the year. On Wednesday, Kansas City Royals right-hander Zack Greinke(notes) and San Francisco Giants right-hander Tim Lincecum(notes) were named pitchers of the year. The upcoming schedule:

Thursday morning: Player of the year, all-star teams

Related Links
    Greinke, Lincecum SN's top pitchers
    Happ, Beckham earn rookie honors
    Subscribe to Sporting News Magazine
    Friday morning: Comeback players of the year, relievers of the year

SN's entire 3-page awards package can be found in the new issue of the magazine, which arrives later this week at all Barnes & Noble, Borders and Hudson Retail outlets.

Chris Bahr is Sporting News' baseball editor. E-mail him at cbahr@sportingnews.com.

Threads : 27
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sporting News names Mike Scioscia, Jim Tracy AL, NL managers of the year

Agree with Scoscia.

**** Jim Tracy. **** him in the ***.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sporting News names Mike Scioscia, Jim Tracy AL, NL managers of the year

"When he took over the job, we had a meeting and he told us, 'Here is what I expect, and if I don't get this, there are going to be changes and I will find people.' Then we lost our first three games in Houston, and he came in that next day and said, 'Guys, I want to just let you guys play the game. But if you all force me to come out here, I'm going to come out here,'" Rockies closer Huston Street(notes) told SN. "He let us know full well what he thought and wasn't shy about naming names. But he did it in such a classy manner. It could have been a catastrophe, but the way he stuck to his word, he earned that trust and respect."
    When Jim Tracy was manager of the Pirates he could be found with eyes closed taking a nap in the dugout whie letting Dick Cheney...err Jim Colburn run the team as a pitching coach telling position players they sucked.

**** Jim Tracy

Threads : 27

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When Jim Tracy was manager of the Pirates he could be found with eyes closed taking a nap in the dugout[HIGH-LIGHT] whie letting Dick Cheney...err Jim Colburn run the team as a pitching coach telling position players they sucked.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    **** Jim Tracy

Let's toast to Jim Tracy getting ****ed in the ***.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Let's toast to Jim Tracy getting ****ed in the ***.

I'm all for it. I hope what happened to Tracy in LA happens to him in Colorado next year. all of the pricier good players get injured and his true colors of a coach shine as the Rockies stink. Tracy is a great example of a classic Manager. A guy that can fill out roster card and looks good with good talent around him but isn't worth a **** as a teacher, guy that can work with youth or needs to plug holes and bounce around the lineup to do so or find the right talent.

This is the same ******* that wanted nothing to do with Freddy Sanchez as a starter. Had it not been for joe Randa getting injured, jim Tracy's talent evaluating skills most likely would've kept a batting title away from Freddy

Threads : 48

GTFO.Jim Tracy???

sjdrewk

Why Tracy? I don't get it. If you're gonna go there and pick Tracy, then why not Bochy? Were the GIants supposed to do **** this year? I expected 90 losses. Not saying it should be Bochy but if they are gonna say Tracy then it might as well be Bochy.

Threads : 197

There was no way he Tracy wasn't going to win. The team put up a .638 winning percentage after he took over, the best in the league. Before he started they had the second worst record in the majors, with only the Nationals behind them. I did notice that the media was still waiting to jump all over him though. At one point in September their Wild Card lead went from 8 games to 3 and it was all "welcome to Jim Tracy's September coaching". They eventually picked back up and almost won the division. Once the playoffs rolled around people started jumping back on him for his bullpen usage and whatnot. The award is basically just for most surprising team record and for some reason it goes to the manager.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information