Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your draft thoughts?

Threads : 182

Default Your draft thoughts?

several thoughts. Do we trade Ben what do you all think?

What possily could Ben have told Tomlin -- if he told him the truth then why did he tell police the girl hit her head when there was no evidence of this at the hospital. If he did tell Tomlin the truth then if I Was tomlin I'd bench that guy for a long time.

Draft strategy I've seen us taking Pouncey (C) from FL, Wilson CB from BS, and Even Dez Bryant (which I doubt happens). I think I'd vote for trading down and picking up another 3rd rounder and still get Wilson or Pouncey.

What do you all think?

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Your draft thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by steel0710 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    several thoughts. Do we trade Ben what do you all think?

What possily could Ben have told Tomlin -- if he told him the truth then why did he tell police the girl hit her head when there was no evidence of this at the hospital. If he did tell Tomlin the truth then if I Was tomlin I'd bench that guy for a long time.

Draft strategy I've seen us taking Pouncey (C) from FL, Wilson CB from BS, and Even Dez Bryant (which I doubt happens). I think I'd vote for trading down and picking up another 3rd rounder and still get Wilson or Pouncey.

What do you all think?
    No, we do NOT trade Ben...He has never been arrested or charged of a crime. I dont think his "exploits" warrant taking that risk...one more slip up, however, and I'll be changing that tune.

But besides beating that dead horse (and onto football-relevant speak), I like Pouncey in the first round (especially if he can be had towards the end of the 1st and we can trade down to grab another late round pick). He's got the versatility that can benefit our offense. I see him panning out to be Guard rather than Center...however his potential to excel at both positions adds value to his cause.

I'll pass on Dez Bryant, and see if Golden Tate slips to us in the second rd. He's more in the "mold" of a "team player." I must admit that, his game and hustle reminds me a lot of Hines...except I think he's got a bit more speed than Hines ever had.

Beyond that, it's a crap shoot. Best available, regardless of position. However, depth in the secondary, D and O-lines needs to be addressed, but only if the talent available warrants the pick. IMHO.
    Last edited by Bton66; Apr-18-2010 at 02:37 PM.

I REALLY like this guy! He's a tough possession-type receiver, that runs very well after the catch! If anything, he is a "football" player and could be one hell of a special teamer out of the gate! He's got my second round vote for sure!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWfA5-Q0s-0[/ame]

BTon66 thanks for posting that -- great stuff. Tate reminds me of a randel el when he first came out. I think its got 4.4 speed or under as well (4.37 sticks in my mind). If someone we could get 2 pics in the 2nd round and get this guy with one of them and a CB with the other one if we don't snag a CB in the 1st. I'd be happy.
    Pouncey, Tate, Wilson/Haden in 1st 2 rounds and then no pics till 4th I'd be very happy.

Threads : 49

Here are my thoughts on the draft.

Don't think the Steelers should draft a WR until the 3rd round at the earliest. Maybe package a bunch of those 4th or 5th rounders to try to get another late 3rd round pick and use it on a WR. Tate is indeed a possession WR and his size and speed means he's not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick, IMO. I'd be shocked if the Steelers took Bryant.

Ben will probably not get traded. Even though there have been rumors, I'd be shocked if it happens. Partly because I don't see a team giving up enough to make it worth for the Steelers. I will say though that if Ben ****s up again, the Steelers will obviously get rid of him and get less than they would right now for him. It's a gamble either way, IMO.

I really hope the Steelers don't draft Pouncey at 18. Either trade down or get a player at a different position (OL, LB, S or CB). I'd personally love to see a safety taken in the 1st round, either Earl Thomas or even Mays, even though Tomlin supposedly isn't high on him. I'd also like to see a draft more on the defensive side in the first 3 rounds, even with losing Holmes. The Steelers NEED another LB, it's crazy if the team doesn't draft one, IMO.

cloppbeast

Do we trade Ben what do you all think?
    I say we trade Ben. First, he's an embarrassment to the city of Pittsburgh. It's only a matter of time before he does something like this again, and the Steelers don't need more of this kind of publicity.

Secondly, he'll have a short career and the Steelers should unload him now and get excellent value for an expiring commodity. Ben's had like 5 concussions. He got hit by a car. He does very little in the off-season to to prolong his career. He takes an average of like 45 sacks per season and I don't see that changing very soon. He'll continue to get pounded by 250+ lineman year in and year out, which will eventually wear him down, if it already has it.

Thirdly, his game relies too much on his athletic ability. With time, as his body wears out and his physical abilities diminish, he won't be such a dominating QB - not like Payton Manning who makes his money with his smarts. Ben's playing style makes him a great QB as long as he can continue to break tackles, but not so good if he can't. Eventually he won't be able to and, if his continuous off the field issues are any indication, he's not the kind of player who can rely on his brain to win football games. I know he's only 28, but keep in mind he's been starting and taking sacks since he was like 23. He may only have 2-3 more good years left.

I wish I could have been a fly on the wall during that conversation. I think he probably did lie, which is probably why the Roonies are so upset.

I like the CB from BS with the first pick. The Steelers have demonstrated in the past they aren't scared of drafting college players from schools with worse competition, as the picks of Ben and Ricardo indicate. The Oline, while not that good, is in considerably better shape than the secondary. Anyway, this is a deep draft for tackles, so they may be able to find one in the later rounds. I don't want Dez Bryant, although I think we should get a receiver with one of our picks - maybe trading to get Arrelious Benn (big ten pick) or preferably Golden Tate in the 2nd. Considering their offseason issues this year, the Steelers need to avoid players like Bryant.

I like the pick of the Oregon RB who punched that other guy. I've read a lot of articles indicating the punch was just a moment of passionate weakness, but overall he's a stand-up guy. His draft status has taken a hit because of the incident, so he could provide great value in the 5th round or later. Assuming he's a good guy deep down, he's the guy the Steelers have been looking for in goal line and short yardage situations.

cloppbeast

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    I REALLY like this guy! He's a tough possession-type receiver, that runs very well after the catch! If anything, he is a "football" player and could be one hell of a special teamer out of the gate! He's got my second round vote for sure!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWfA5-Q0s-0
    Hypothetically, we could trade Ben for Buffalo's 1st and 2nd picks and use them to take Clausen and Tate respectively. Their report they've already developed at ND could provide an excellent connection rivaling Montana, Rice.

Or maybe I'm being premature, immature, overly-optimistic and unrealistic.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    Here are my thoughts on the draft.

Don't think the Steelers should draft a WR until the 3rd round at the earliest. Maybe package a bunch of those 4th or 5th rounders to try to get another late 3rd round pick and use it on a WR. [HIGH-LIGHT]Tate is indeed a possession WR and his size and speed means he's not worth a 1st or 2nd round pick[/HIGH-LIGHT], IMO. I'd be shocked if the Steelers took Bryant.

Ben will probably not get traded. Even though there have been rumors, I'd be shocked if it happens. Partly because I don't see a team giving up enough to make it worth for the Steelers. I will say though that if Ben ****s up again, the Steelers will obviously get rid of him and get less than they would right now for him. It's a gamble either way, IMO.

[HIGH-LIGHT]I really hope the Steelers don't draft Pouncey at 18.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Either trade down or get a player at a different position (OL, LB, S or CB). I'd personally love to see a safety taken in the 1st round, either Earl Thomas or even Mays, even though Tomlin supposedly isn't high on him. I'd also like to see a draft more on the defensive side in the first 3 rounds, even with losing Holmes. The Steelers NEED another LB, it's crazy if the team doesn't draft one, IMO.
    1. I contend that Tate's hands and toughness warrant a 2nd rd pick IMO...I think he'd be PERFECT in our system. He does a great job of getting open when QB is "running around" in the backfield (hence Ben's game).
    Me thinks he'd succeed further, learning under Hines...especially in his run blocking (which was not featured in the above posted highlight reel). He looks like a guy that "sells out" on every play and doesnt take any off (which concerns me about Bryant). If he slides, and we can package some late picks to grab him in the late 2nd or early 3rd, that's fine...I WANT HIM IN B&G!!!

I can already see Peppe's marketing the "Black & 'Golden' sub" LOL!!!

2. I agree that Pouncey might not be a popular pick at "18," but if we could trade down a few spots to pick up another late round pick and grab him towards the end of the 1st, I'd say you cant beat his value.

Quote Originally Posted by cloppbeast View Post
    Hypothetically, we could trade Ben for Buffalo's 1st and 2nd picks and use them to take Clausen and Tate respectively. Their report they've already developed at ND could provide an excellent connection rivaling Montana, Rice.

Or maybe I'm being premature, immature, overly-optimistic and unrealistic.
    I might actually throw up if that scenario were to play out. Luckily the chances of that happening are between slim and none.

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    1. I contend that Tate's hands and toughness warrant a 2nd rd pick IMO...I think he'd be PERFECT in our system. He does a great job of getting open when QB is "running around" in the backfield (hence Ben's game).
    Me thinks he'd succeed further, learning under Hines...especially in his run blocking (which was not featured in the above posted highlight reel). He looks like a guy that "sells out" on every play and doesnt take any off (which concerns me about Bryant). If he slides, and we can package some late picks to grab him in the late 2nd or early 3rd, that's fine...I WANT HIM IN B&G!!!

I can already see Peppe's marketing the "Black & 'Golden' sub" LOL!!!

2. I agree that Pouncey might not be a popular pick at "18," but if we could trade down a few spots to pick up another late round pick and grab him towards the end of the 1st, I'd say you cant beat his value.
    Don't get me wrong, I like Tate but just not in the first 2 rounds. I don't see ever being a #1 WR so it's just not worth it drafting him that high. If the Steelers get a WR I'd hope the team gets one in the 3rd round at the earliest. Either hope Tate falls to that round or pick another WR, there should a number of quality prospects availabe in that round. Even with losing Holmes, the Steelers still have a number of weapons in the passing game.

With Pouncey, I just don't like the idea of drafting a C in the 1st round. If the Steelers go OL in the 1st round, I'd rather it be Lupati (good run blocker who could play G or OT) or if a quality OT falls to 18 take that player.

Personally, I wish the Steelers hadn't resigned Clark so a safety would be a certainty in the early rounds. An upgrade is really needed at that position, not sure if the Steelers will address it, though, and it's a great year for safeties in the draft, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I like Tate but just not in the first 2 rounds. I don't see ever being a #1 WR so it's just not worth it drafting him that high. If the Steelers get a WR I'd hope the team gets one in the 3rd round at the earliest. Either hope Tate falls to that round or pick another WR, there should a number of quality prospects availabe in that round. Even with losing Holmes, the Steelers still have a number of weapons in the passing game.

With Pouncey, I just don't like the idea of drafting a C in the 1st round. If the Steelers go OL in the 1st round, [HIGH-LIGHT]I'd rather it be Lupati[/HIGH-LIGHT] (good run blocker who could play G or OT) or if a quality OT falls to 18 take that player.

Personally, I wish the Steelers hadn't resigned Clark so a safety would be a certainty in the early rounds. An upgrade is really needed at that position, not sure if the Steelers will address it, though, and it's a great year for safeties in the draft, IMO.

Good point!!! I dont know that he slides to 18.

You can't discount Pouncey's speed and technique though (I know this clip is from the "underwear olympics," but the guy is an athlete for being 6'4, 300+):

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7orZwI-tZQ[/ame]

I would love to see a top-tier OT slide, but that just will not happen IMO... And you ain't kidding about the talent at Safety in this draft (where we could use some help too)... So confused with this draft!!! I usually have a "favorite" for the 1st round, but this year, it's so fricking wide-open. My "favorite" is, obviously, Tate in the second.

Either way, I trust our FO to make the correct picks. NOT MEL KIPER!!!LOL

I have to throw this back in -- I heard directly from someone who used to live in the gated Community that Ben used to live in (along with Duce) that Cowher told Ben when he came back Ben would be his QB. Do you think Cowher comes back in 2011 and goes to NC with Ben -- that is what I fear. I just hope Ben is not setting the rooney's up for another mistake cause I think rooneys' are taking a big chance in keeping ben especially given all the players on the team who are not very fond of the guy. I do agree we'd get more value from him now than later. I still contend that Ben makes a ton of his "great" plays when he is scrambling and the DB's just can't cover that long. I also think the OL would "suddenly" look a lot better if we had a different QB who actually sticks with the play call and doesn't just scramble around all the time. Ok just some thoughts but I along with everyone else just can't believe this whole thing with Ben has happened and to the steelers -- maybe to another squad but not to the steelers.

I have to throw this back in -- I heard directly from someone who used to live in the gated Community that Ben used to live in (along with Duce) that Cowher told Ben when he came back Ben would be his QB. Do you think Cowher comes back in 2011 and goes to NC with Ben -- that is what I fear. I just hope Ben is not setting the rooney's up for another mistake cause I think rooneys' are taking a big chance in keeping ben especially given all the players on the team who are not very fond of the guy. I do agree we'd get more value from him now than later. I still contend that Ben makes a ton of his "great" plays when he is scrambling and the DB's just can't cover that long. I also think the OL would "suddenly" look a lot better if we had a different QB who actually sticks with the play call and doesn't just scramble around all the time. Ok just some thoughts but I along with everyone else just can't believe this whole thing with Ben has happened and to the steelers -- maybe to another squad but not to the steelers.

cloppbeast

I don't even think Ben liked Cowher. Didn't he talk some **** about him after he resigned about how didn't like getting yelled at? I guess those remarks could have been intended to mislead.

Im starting to wish that steel0710 would've:

1. Posted this on the "Draft Day" Forum, to save the mods some work (as it will probably be moved)...and...

2. Not mentioned the trading of Ben deal...because this opens the door for more Ben bashing...once again creating another thread that could be potentially be moved to the main "Ben" thread(s), thus creating more work for the mods to move it to the correct thread.

No offense steel0710, but it seems that every time his name is mentioned, lately, it turns into a "bash Ben" or "all about Ben" thread...

Thanks for getting me pumped for the draft though, it's this week, and I haven't been visiting the Draft board much thus far...but being the week of the Draft, I feel it's relevant to the main Steelers board
    Last edited by Bton66; Apr-18-2010 at 04:08 PM.

• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information