Thread: Building Garden Fish Ponds

Threads : 30

Default Building Garden Fish Ponds

Garden ponds can give your garden some character while adding to the tranquility of your backyard. More than just water, garden ponds provide homes for plants, fish and frogs.

Garden ponds can be installed above or below ground with pre-formed pond liners. Small fiberglass ponds with a rock-like finish are perfect for beginners. These can be installed with little help in just a few minutes. Small beginner ponds are perfect for a few small plants and even some fish.

Plants not only provide beauty to your pond, they also add to its health. Water plants help clean the water by eating nitrates and phosphates and add oxygen to the water. This will help enable fish to live.

If you want to have fish in your pond, you will need to have a filter to purify the water and remove solids. A bio-filter that attracts good bacteria which will kill the bad bacteria is best. You will also need a pump to ensure that the water is always fresh and has lots of oxygen.

You should build your pond in full sun out of the wind and away from trees that will drop leaves into it. It will need to be close to a water source and a power source for pumps, lights, waterfalls or anything else you would like to have with your pond.

http://www.olympickoiclub.org/member...mberponds.html
    http://www.olympickoiclub.org/member...ne/tcpond.html

Threads : 33

Default Re: Building Garden Fish Ponds

Great post Viz... some of those pond designs big enough to swim in.... or even test fishing ... just kidding...

Garden Fish Ponds are getting very popular now...

Stay warm and dry this winter...

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

need more pictures :d

I had thought about putting in a garden pond a few years back but decided against it after I threw in a pool and a big deck and other stuff. didn't really have a good spot for one that wouldn't stick out in the wrong way.

My Dad has one up at our Camp. my brother works for a Water Gardens center that builds them ,so they put together a pretty nice one getting a ton of rocks from a nearby quarry and then adding some water plants, fish and cool lights. I think there's a big fountain in the center, a fog machine and a colored light display.

My brother inlaw has an even bigger more natural one that they basically dug into the ground and built mounds on the outside out of dirt and added fountains and a ton of excellent shrubs and non native plants a buddy would bring back from the orients

Threads : 215

They attract mosquitos and all types of varmits wanting a drink or a taste of fish. That being said, It' great to go places or homes that have them. I get to enjoy without the duties and troubles.

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They attract mosquitos and all types of varmits wanting a drink or a taste of fish. That being said, It' great to go places or homes that have them. I get to enjoy without the duties and troubles.
    I have one like this that I've DIScontinued, I'm filling it with sand to a few inches from the top and going to use it for water plants.

You're right about critters wanting a food source, I still have a Snapper turtle problem to solve. I've had fish up to 5 - 6 inches and I don't know what's left in the pond. There's a creek running that supplies the water circulation source.
    The dig is around this size and a good 6 foot depth, but I believe just a little bit smaller then shown here!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    need more pictures :d

I had thought about putting in a garden pond a few years back but decided against it after I threw in a pool and a big deck and other stuff. didn't really have a good spot for one that wouldn't stick out in the wrong way.

My Dad has one up at our Camp. my brother works for a Water Gardens center that builds them ,so they put together a pretty nice one getting a ton of rocks from a nearby quarry and then adding some water plants, fish and cool lights. I think there's a big fountain in the center, a fog machine and a colored light display.

My brother inlaw has an even bigger more natural one that they basically dug into the ground and built mounds on the outside out of dirt and added fountains and a ton of excellent shrubs and non native plants a buddy would bring back from the orients
    I'm still doing my shrubbery and I would like to get a couple giant rocks hauled in.
    There's two willow trees exactly like in the picture shown, I have several evergreen bushes to this point of my planning.
    Perhaps I'll consider a pump for a fountain or waterfall, lights, crepe myrtle or something colorful.
    There's plenty of frogs to which I don't mind, but the Snappers gotta go, one was eliminated this summer.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Good point about the mosquitos and other bees. That was one big reason I went against them. With the swimming pool, bees like to show up from time to time to get a drink. Should see me with my can of bee spray I have a smaller 3 tiered fountain outside of my deck that some like to flock to and I fgured a pond wouldn't help out.

Everytime I hear or read about "where are the bees" I want to strangle someone and invite them over. Not that I have swarms or anything but they like my pool for some reason. Probably because I don't use Baquasil or Chlorine that alters the taste nasty for pool water

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Good point about the mosquitos and other bees. That was one big reason I went against them.
    I have the pool right behind the house and the pond is further down accross the creek.
    I have no more mosquito problems then I ever had before.
    ____ Summer before last bees built a nest under the edge of the pool rim.
    My grandson hung onto the rim while swimming and that's when we found out "they were there" we since had to take Brian for allergy shots and he still continues the treatments.
    He had a reaction that you wouldn't believe, as I recall they were a type of yellow jacket.

http://www.natureking.com/yellow_jackets_hornets.html
    Last edited by Viz-id/Vigilancer; Oct-22-2009 at 12:25 PM.

We've had Herons and Ducks, but no Swans, but like I mentioned; it's really the Snapper that seems to be causing the big problems.

Last edited by Viz-id/Vigilancer; Oct-22-2009 at 12:49 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information