Thread: 2009 Draft Do-over

Threads : 138

Default 2009 Draft Do-over

"The only thing new in the world is the history you don't know."
    Looking at the picks and how they performed and how overrated some of them were makes you remember that about half the guys pegged for the 2010 first round are probably gonna be a bust.

"Detroit Lions (Original pick: Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia)
    RE-DO PICK: MICHAEL OHER, OT, OLE MISS
    I'm not making the case that Stafford was a mistake, only that playing a franchise quarterback before you have an offensive line to protect him is putting the cart before the horse. Stafford has gotten killed this season (24 sacks in 10 games), and it makes more sense for Detroit to have gone for Oher, the draft's top-performing tackle, to protect someone's, uh, Blind Side. Oher has played well at both right and left tackle for Baltimore this season, and scouts say he'd be a consensus top 5 pick if the draft were re-held today....

Pittsburgh Steelers (Original pick: (Evander Hood, DT, Missouri)
    RE-DO PICK: MIKE WALLACE, WR, OLE MISS
    The Steelers took Wallace in the middle of the third round in April, but they'd have no such luxury at this point. As disappointing as Pittsburgh's title defense season has been, Wallace is an exception to the rule. He has more than replaced third receiver Nate Washington, and his 16.6-yard average catch highlights a rookie season that so far has produced 32 receptions for 530 yards and three touchdowns.

First-round picks who did not make the cut this time: No. 2 Jason Smith, Rams, OT; No. 3 Tyson Jackson, Chiefs, DE; No. 6 Andre Smith, Bengals, OT; No. 7 Darrius Heyward-Bey, Raiders, WR; No. 8 Eugene Monroe, Jaguars, OT; No. 11 Aaron Maybin, Bills, DE; No. 16 Larry English, Chargers, LB; No. 18 Robert Ayers, Broncos, DE-LB; No. 21 Alex Mack, Browns, C; No. 24 Peria Jerry, Falcons, DT; No. 27 Donald Brown, Colts, RB; No. 28 Eric Wood, Bills, G-C; No. 32 Evander Hood, Steelers, DT."

2009 Revised NFL Draft
    Last edited by tocchet92; Apr-18-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 2009 Draft Do-over

I'm confused...

You're making a point that we should've drafted Wallace in the first???? No ****ing way!!! He was a steal where we got him!!!

We still haven't seen what Ziggy can bring. Dont forget, he's making a big transition from "5" to "3-technique"...which happens to be a very demanding position within Lebeau's Defense. He has a whole helluva lot more responsibilities (run-wise) than just putting a hand down and rush the QB and hold the edge. I'm looking for BIG THINGS from Ziggy this year!!!

Sorry if I mis-interperated your post, but, IMO, it sounds like your calling Ziggy a bust? He hasnt seen enough reps to make that assessment intelligently

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm confused...

You're making a point that we should've drafted Wallace in the first???? No ****ing way!!! He was a steal where we got him!!!

We still haven't seen what Ziggy can bring. Dont forget, he's making a big transition from "5" to "3-technique"...which happens to be a very demanding position within Lebeau's Defense. He has a whole helluva lot more responsibilities (run-wise) than just putting a hand down and rush the QB and hold the edge. I'm looking for BIG THINGS from Ziggy this year!!!

Sorry if I mis-interperated your post, but, IMO, it sounds like your calling Ziggy a bust? He hasnt seen enough reps to make that assessment intelligently
    Click the Link!!

The article is about how the 2009 first round would go based on the performance of the rookies in the 2009 season. In Don Banks' opinion, Mike Wallace was the best available player for the Steelers in this hypothetical do-over.

And, so far, I guess you could say that Hood looks like a disappointment. The fact that the DL was hard hit with injuries and Ziggy had trouble getting on the field is a cause for some skepticism.

(Yes, I know Troy P. was considered by many to be a bust after his rookie year..)
    Last edited by tocchet92; Apr-18-2010 at 04:42 PM.

sjdrewk

Tocchet, I'm going to move this to the draft section.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Click the Link!!

The article is about how the 2009 first round would go based on the performance of the rookies in the 2009 season. In Don Banks' opinion, Mike Wallace was the best available player for the Steelers in this hypothetical do-over.

And, so far, I guess you could say that [HIGH-LIGHT]Hood looks like a disappointment[/HIGH-LIGHT]. The fact that the DL was hard hit with injuries and Ziggy had trouble getting on the field is a cause for some skepticism.

(Yes, I know Troy P. was considered by many to be a bust after his rookie year..)
    \

Again, the transition that he is making is VERY difficult...Dont give up on the guy after JUST one year (w/ minimal reps) in the system...

-Kind of like how every (un-informed/football-intelligent) football fan is ready to throw Timmons "under the bus." These guys were drafted for their atheleticism and up-side (and the potential for that to translate into the "new" positions they have to learn).

Our Defense is among the toughest to learn (especially when you are playing out of your "natural" position)...

"We" have to have a bit of patience with these guys... They have to "change their game" to be an impact player, given the roles in a "new" defense...

This offseason and TC will be key to Ziggy...dont discount the guy just yet

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information