Thread: A special honor for Hines Ward

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default A special honor for Hines Ward

A special honor for Hines Ward
    By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com
    4-18-2010
    Posted 2 hours ago

Hines Ward couldn’t help but laugh as he listened to some of his coaches as well as current and former teammates share stories about him. After all, it’s what he expected when he found out former Steelers cornerback Mel Blount chose him as the honoree at the 12th Annual Mel Blount Youth Home Celebrity Roast.

So it came as no surprise when one of the things he was teased about was his emotions, particularly the tears he shed when he thought Jerome Bettis was ready to pack it in after the 2004 season fell short of a Super Bowl journey.

Bettis was among those taking some good-natured jabs at Ward, along with Coach Mike Tomlin, quarterbacks Coach Randy Fichtner and teammates Jeff Reed and James Farrior. Other former Steelers players were also on hand, along with Steelers President Art Rooney II.

And while the evening definitely had a fun tone, there was more to it than just laughs.

Since his retirement from football Blount has been a staple in the Pittsburgh community, starting the Mel Blount Youth Home of Pennsylvania, a multi-service treatment program for young males who are victims of child abuse and neglect. The home is nestled on 300 acres in Washington County, with dormitories to house the residents, recreational facilities and programs to help the development of the young males.

One of the reasons Blount chose Ward as this year’s honoree is his commitment to the Pittsburgh community and beyond. Blount appreciates the fact that Ward is a player who understands the importance of giving back and of being a role model. And in turn, Ward looks at Blount as a player who paved the way for today’s Steelers to give back.

Ward is no stranger to helping young people who have faced difficulty in life. Through the Hines Ward Helping Hands Foundation he has Ward hosted bi-racial kids from Korea in Pittsburgh for a weekend, helping them escape the discrimination they have faced and showing them there are other opportunities out there.

“We are all passionate about something,” said Ward. “Just to see all of the hard work Mel put in to it and gives back to these kids is amazing. He has a passion for his youth home.”

Ward saw that passion first hand when he had the chance to visit the youth home and was impressed with every aspect of it, from the facilities to the respectful attitude from those staying there.

“It was overwhelming,” said Ward. “I didn’t expect what I saw. Being from the city I didn’t know what to expect. Mel is from the country. He wears his cowboy hat. This is a real big country dude. He had spurs on, big belt, big hat. It’s the first time I experienced being somewhere like that. It was peaceful. To meet these kids from a troubled background, they were really respectful. It caught me off guard. It was great to see that. They were so well-behaved and well-mannered. It was a great. Mel has a passion about helping troubled teens.”

Ward told the crowd gathered at the Pittsburgh Hilton Hotel how important it was for him to follow in the tradition of the players before him, both on and off the field. One of his favorite things is seeing some of the former players come by the team’s practice facility or Heinz Field for a game, including Lynn Swann, who served as the emcee for the evening, as well as Franco Harris and Blount.

“Any time I wear the uniform I play for the players before me,” said Ward. “I try to represent myself and the players before me. It’s a special connection. It’s always great to see guys come back. You feel like you are a part of history with those guys, especially having Super Bowl rings like they do.

“Each and every Sunday when I put on a uniform, I am playing for the guys who played before me. I am going to play until the wheels fall off.”

While many walked away from the evening with a smile on their face and laughing at the fun stories, Ward walked away with much more. He walked away with pride.

“I understand what it means to be a true Pittsburgh Steeler,” said Ward. “Being honored at the dinner means something because it reflects what I do outside of football too. Even though we are not paid to be role models, we are role models.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...1-ab24ef822d5b
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 413

Default Re: A special honor for Hines Ward

Wonder if Ben was shown this!

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wonder if Ben was shown this!
    JFC!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Can we try to relish in some positive news without bringing up the oldBull****??? And yes the **** is getting OLD, ...OLDER THAN MY (GOD REST HER SOUL), GREAT GRANDMA 'BUBBA'!!!!

Let's put it to ****ing bed already for **** SAKE!!!!

Thanks Hines for being a fantastic player (and not getting caught for bringing broads to your VIP rooms), not to mention being a ****ing out-spoken windbag in locker-room interviews... and throwing his teamates under the ****ing bus!....

Either way, he managed to fly below the radar...and he will go down as a "stand up" player despite his character flaws...

...just "sayin?"
    Last edited by Bton66; Apr-18-2010 at 10:59 PM.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hines is one of the best ever Steelers and football players to ever lace 'em up and go. His stats do not even begin to tell the story.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Hines is one of the best ever Steelers[/HIGH-LIGHT] and football players to ever lace 'em up and go. His stats do not even begin to tell the story.
    Without question!!! His stats back it up as well, I hate that I even have to attempt to take a "jab" at him to make a point!!!

Simple as this, perform on the field...and the rest will go away! I really hope that BB puts this BS to bed with a third ring!!!!...then all the "haters" will be slurping his nuts again (as long as the "haters" arent 20 yr old barflys)

Threads : 55

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    JFC!!!!!!!!!!??????????

Can we try to relish in some positive news without bringing up the oldBull****??? And yes the **** is getting OLD, ...OLDER THAN MY (GOD REST HER SOUL), GREAT GRANDMA 'BUBBA'!!!!

Let's put it to ****ing bed already for **** SAKE!!!!

Thanks Hines for being a fantastic player (and not getting caught for bringing broads to your VIP rooms), not to mention being a ****ing out-spoken windbag in locker-room interviews... and throwing his teamates under the ****ing bus!....

Either way, he managed to fly below the radar...and he will go down as a "stand up" player despite his character flaws...

...just "sayin?"
    C'mon Bton...
    What's in your closet you don't want us all to know???

Hines' only failure as a Steeler is that he could not supplant Rocky Bleier as the only Steeler ever to be born, solely to play for the Steelers...
    The Title...
    "ALL TIME GREATEST STEELER"...
    (not ever by stats, but through sheer guts, complete effort and an undying heart of Black And Gold)
    ...Will be shared throughout days by the two...

Quote Originally Posted by The Keystoner View Post
    C'mon Bton...
    [HIGH-LIGHT]What's in your closet you don't want us all to know???[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Hines' only failure as a Steeler is that he could not supplant Rocky Bleier as the only Steeler ever to be born, solely to play for the Steelers...
    The Title...
    "ALL TIME GREATEST STEELER"...
    (not ever by stats, but through sheer guts, complete effort and an undying heart of Black And Gold)
    ...Will be shared throughout days by the two...
    You mean besides the Browns fan with the ball gag??? Just playin!!!

I (like most other Stillers fans), could NEVER talk down to Hines!!! HE's THE ****ING MAN...dont get me wrong!

However, his mouth has ****ed me off in the past...but again, he owns it, so he can get away with just about anything in my book.

Oh yeah, BTW- Ive heard "second hand" reports about VIP activity, similar to Ben's...but he's managed to keep it under wraps, I guess. Either way, the "moral police" are ready to fry Ben for "second hand" accounts, so I figured I'd bring it up....

I will now punish myself for blasphemy...for questioning Hines!!!!

Seriously, just a joke!!! I love Hines, his game, and his passion more than most

sjdrewk

I have to admit I've taken more of my share of jabs at Ben to make a point....I'm just venting still.

I'm all for moving on.....but you know, in the back of my mind, I still don't see how we are going to be able to just move on with Ben as our Qb....it's a lot to get over knowing of the incidents and seeing him out there on the field....I don't know how I am going to react to the first time I see him in a practice session, per season start, or his first start in the regular season....only time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    I have to admit I've taken more of my share of jabs at Ben to make a point....I'm just venting still.

I'm all for moving on.....but you know, in the back of my mind, I still don't see [HIGH-LIGHT]how we are going to be able to just move on with Ben as our Qb[/HIGH-LIGHT]....it's a lot to get over knowing of the [HIGH-LIGHT]incidents[/HIGH-LIGHT] and seeing him out there on the field....I don't know how I am going to react to the first time I see him in a practice session, per season start, or his first start in the regular season....only time will tell.
    Highlight 1. WHY??? (were you in Reno or Milledgeville?)..sorry bro I'm venting

Highlight 2. Alleged "incidents" (no arrests or charges)

How will we react when he throws a TD on his first drive? and/or throws for 5k yds and 30 tds? Will we forget about his "exploits" if he throws another Super Bowl winning TD?

IDK?

Threads : 55

You mean besides the Browns fan with the ball gag??? Just playin!!!

I (like most other Stillers fans), could NEVER talk down to Hines!!! HE's THE ****ING MAN...dont get me wrong!

However, his mouth has ****ed me off in the past...but again, he owns it, so he can get away with just about anything in my book.

Oh yeah, BTW- Ive heard "second hand" reports about VIP activity, similar to Ben's...but he's managed to keep it under wraps, I guess. Either way, the "moral police" are ready to fry Ben for "second hand" accounts, so I figured I'd bring it up....

I will now punish myself for blasphemy...for questioning Hines!!!!

Seriously, just a joke!!! I love Hines, his game, and his passion more than most
    Ain't Nothin' Funny 'Bout A Joke Like That!!!

Just Bustin' Your Chops Brah!!!
    Take Six...

Quote Originally Posted by The Keystoner View Post
    Ain't Nothin' Funny 'Bout A Joke Like That!!!

Just Bustin' Your Chops Brah!!!
    Take Six...
    HAHA!!!!...and one to "grow on"

LOL!!!

sjdrewk

Highlight 1. WHY??? (were you in Reno or Milledgeville?)..sorry bro I'm venting

Highlight 2. Alleged "incidents" (no arrests or charges)

How will we react when he throws a TD on his first drive? and/or throws for 5k yds and 30 tds? Will we forget about his "exploits" if he throws another Super Bowl winning TD?

IDK?
    -that's what it is going to take because only winning a SB could even begin the process of getting past this point for me.

Whatever you want to call it "Alleged" it doesn't matter, we know something happened and to put himself in that situation twice, it will take years for me to stop thinking about how much of a dumbski Ben is.....what I mean bro, is that I am angry at Ben and I will still be ****ed off at him for what he has done to himself, the team, the owners, and the fans and it will take me a while to....he just F-d everything up. Went from being a potential hofer to a guy who is called a rapist and is the laughing stock of tv and radio everywhere. Even out here in ****ing San Jose I have to hear local mediots talk **** about him. What he brought upon this team, is right now, unforgivable regardless of guilt, innocence, Alleged or whatever the case is, I got real anger towards him..

-that's what it is going to take because only winning a SB could even begin the process of getting past this point for me.

Whatever you want to call it "Alleged" it doesn't matter, we know something happened and to put himself in that situation twice, it will take years for me to stop thinking about how much of a dumbski Ben is.....what I mean bro, is that I am angry at Ben and I will still be ****ed off at him for what he has done to himself, the team, the owners, and the fans and it will take me a while to....he just F-d everything up. Went from being a potential hofer to a guy who is called a rapist and is the [HIGH-LIGHT]laughing stock of tv and radio everywhere. Even out here in ****ing San Jose I have to hear local mediots talk **** about him.[/HIGH-LIGHT] What he brought upon this team, is right now, unforgivable regardless of guilt, innocence, Alleged or whatever the case is, I got real anger towards him..
    Let 'em talk my brother... Let's just hope that BB responds in a manner that is typical of a Pittsburgh Steeler...(which btw- HE STILL IS!!!)

sjdrewk

Let 'em talk my brother... Let's just hope that BB responds in a manner that is typical of a Pittsburgh Steeler...(which btw- HE STILL IS!!!)
    He will...if he is not traded( I highly doubt it), he will respond like a mother. That, I know.

Threads : 0

He will...if he is not traded( I highly doubt it), he will respond like a mother. That, I know.
    Yes he will!

Anyway, good to see Hines being celebrated especially by the man, Mr Mel Blount!

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information