Thread: buckeyehoppy's Complete Steeler Mock w/UDFAs

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default buckeyehoppy's Complete Steeler Mock w/UDFAs

buckeyehoppy is pretty glad he has carved out some time to take a look at the Steelers upcoming Draft. Been busy around here.

Really, the Steelers need depth out of this Draft. I feel like this Draft could go in any of several directions. But this is my take on where I think we'll go, based on what I think we'll be able to get where we select.

A note on the obvious: I've made no adjustments to what I believe will be at least one or more trades made by the Steelers during the Draft. There's a lot of value in this draft in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds. The Steelers may well use any (or all) of their non-comp picks after the 4th Round to get an additional pick or two on the second day. I don't necessarily agree the Steelers will make these trades. But, with 11 overall picks, there's a good chance that could happen.

Here goes nothin':

1.18- Jared Odrick-DT-Penn State

The Steelers can't miss with this one. The DL needs an infusion of youth that can be groomed to start. That's where Odrick makes all the sense in the world. Will fit well with the Steelers 3-4 and paired with Ziggy Hood, should solidify the DE position for years to come.

2.52- Rodger Saffold-OT-Indiana

I wasn't going to delude myself into thinking the Steelers would actually use a high draft pick on the OL. But after years of watching Benjamin get his head beat off by opposing defenses, the reality is that #7 isn't going to be of much use to the Steelers for a whole lot longer unless he gets some help. Saffold is a three-year Big 11 starter and possesses lots of position versatility to the outside of the line. If he's still on the board here, the Steelers would be nuts not to select this guy.

3.82- Akwasi Owusu-Ansah-CB-Indiana of Pennsylvania

Despite the competition level he faced in college, AOA would be an intriguing selection here. And he still might not be on the board at this spot. At very worst, AOA projects to be a feared kick returner. At best, he adds competing to be a starting cover corner to the previous sentence. Will be VERY interested to see what he can do if the Steelers get him on draft day.

4.116- Riley Cooper-WR-Florida

Much of the value at WR lies in the 2nd and 3rd Rounds. But Cooper is a solid choice here. Comes from a solid college program and had a great senior year making Tebow's job that much easier. There is a question as to whether he play football or baseball, so this pick would come with some risk. If the Steelers are worried, Blair White from Michigan State offers many of the same traits as Cooper in a slightly smaller package.

5.151- Jeff Byers-C-USC

OL from USC usually have a reliable pedigree. When they can be had with the 151st overall selection and are 3rd team All-Americans, you'd be well-advised to make the call. That's particularly true when they are at a needed position. Byers may challenge Hartwig for playing time much sooner than people think.

5.155- Walter Thurmond-CB-Oregon

Despite some injury and size concerns, Thurmond makes up for his shortcomings with apparently strong play and a good motor. He would be a strong selection here and should have something to say in the battle for playing time at CB.

5c.164- Clifton Geathers-DE-South Carolina

When your name is Geathers and you are an NFL prospect, people should pay attention. The Steelers aforementioned need for youth on the DL would be well served with this selection and he provides excellent value if he is still available.

5c.166- Kurt Coleman-S-Ohio State

A buckeyehoppy special. But Kurt Coleman was a leader for the solid Ohio State D for the last two years. He would be an excellent complement to the free form play of Polamalu and will be an excellent addition to the Steeler locker room.

6.188- Kavell Conner-OLB-Clemson

By this point in the draft, the pickings are, largely, a shot in the dark. Still, Conner was a solid contributor for the Clemson D and would add good depth behind Jimmy Hate.

7.225- Joe Pawelek-ILB-Baylor

This selection would add some youth to the mix on the inside for the Steelers. If he can contribute, Pawelek has a good chance to make a name for himself in Pittsburgh for some time to come.

7c.242- Joe Webb-QB-Alabama-Birmingham

As The Benjamin Turns notwithstanding, the Steelers may benefit from this selection since Ben's Follies have given birth to more than their share of concern and Charlie Batch has limited shelf life remaining. The Steelers also have but three QBs on the current roster. This pick would bring in a player looking for a chance and if he doesn't pan out at QB, the Steelers may well look at him as a candidate at WR.

I am also listing a short list of candidates for pickup from the UDFA pool.

Shelley Smith-OG-Colorado State
    Kurtis Gregory-OG-Missouri
    Austin Spitler-ILB-Ohio State
    Greg Middleton-DE-Indiana
    Brandon Minor-RB-Michigan

I have two Gs listed here. Reason for that is simple: the quality and value at G is virtually non-existent after the 5th Round. Smith and/or Gregory have talent enough to warrant a draft pick (remember, the Draft after the 5th is a real crap shoot). But these guys might be able to come in and push for a spot if given a chance. After all, it's not like the Steelers have a whole lot of proven talent here.

I also added Brandon Minor here. Seeing that the Steelers really only need depth at the position, Minor could be a decent prospect. He will have the type of concerns that may well keep him from being drafted. But Minor has a good chance to be a good 5 to 15 touch RB in the NFL in the right system.

Spitler was an able contributor to Ohio State's D after Laurinaitis departure and may be worth a look based on a solid work ethic alone.

Middleton might warrant a look. But he largely disappeared as a pro prospect in his last two years. I'm wondering if given the chance to come to Pittsburgh might not reinvigorate a once promising career. The guy has definite talent.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

sjdrewk

Default Re: buckeyehoppy's Complete Steeler Mock w/UDFAs

You wouldn't pick a rb and opt to go UD route for a rb? Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You wouldn't pick a rb and opt to go UD route for a rb? Interesting.
    I thought about that. The FO might not go CB in the 3rd and 5th two years in a row.

Tell me something, Drew... what's your take on Gerhart? I think there's a chance the Steelers go with him in the 3rd instead of AOA. And I really like Gerhart. If the Steelers could shore up their run blocking, Mendy and Gerhart would be an insane tandem back there.

One thing's for sure... the Steelers will NOT take a RB in the 1st when they really need help on the D and the value is there. Mendy is only two years fresh outta the 1st Round and I don't think the Steelers could justify a RB in this year's Round 1.

For what the Steelers need, though, someone like Brandon Minor could do the trick. He was decent with Michigan, even though they were uncharacteristically lousy the last two years. I just don't know if anyone will bite on him during the draft. He's a little small and has injury issues. He does remind me of SWP when he was FWP, though.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyehoppy View Post
    I thought about that. The FO might not go CB in the 3rd and 5th two years in a row.

Tell me something, Drew... what's your take on Gerhart? I think there's a chance the Steelers go with him in the 3rd instead of AOA. And I really like Gerhart. If the Steelers could shore up their run blocking, Mendy and Gerhart would be an insane tandem back there.

One thing's for sure... the Steelers will NOT take a RB in the 1st when they really need help on the D and the value is there. Mendy is only two years fresh outta the 1st Round and I don't think the Steelers could justify a RB in this year's Round 1.

For what the Steelers need, though, someone like Brandon Minor could do the trick. He was decent with Michigan, even though they were uncharacteristically lousy the last two years. I just don't know if anyone will bite on him during the draft. He's a little small and has injury issues. He does remind me of SWP when he was FWP, though.

-wow, Hoppy, it is really funny that you mention Gerhart.

A few weeks ago, when Parker signed with the Skins there were a few threads regarding the void Parker created and just who we should draft to fill the need for a third back.

If we are talking about the best fit for the Stillers, Gerhart would be that fit. I was calling for the Stillers to draft Gerhart because I think he would be perfect for what our running game lacks and that is a hard inside runner that can put the ball into the end zone on goal to goal, with the ability to help run out the clock when we have a lead late and get a first down on short yardage situations.

Mendy, Gerhart, Mewelde Moore would be a real dynamic backfield.

Threads : 277

Thoughtful suggestions.

If, however, Odrick was their choice, they likely could trade down in the First--pick up an extra Third--and still get him or Pouncey (and Benny thinks Iupati, as well).

Several of your later picks I have in my own "mock" selections.

Thanks for the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    -wow, Hoppy, it is really funny that you mention Gerhart.

A few weeks ago, when Parker signed with the Skins there were a few threads regarding the void Parker created and just who we should draft to fill the need for a third back.

If we are talking about the best fit for the Stillers, Gerhart would be that fit. I was calling for the Stillers to draft Gerhart because I think he would be perfect for what our running game lacks and that is a hard inside runner that can put the ball into the end zone on goal to goal, with the ability to help run out the clock when we have a lead late and get a first down on short yardage situations.

Mendy, Gerhart, Mewelde Moore would be a real dynamic backfield.
    Drew, I'll put it this way... if we took Toby Gerhart, I wouldn't be disappointed. He seems like a lunch pail type who brings it to work every day.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    Thoughtful suggestions.

If, however, Odrick was their choice, they likely could trade down in the First--pick up an extra Third--and still get him or Pouncey (and Benny thinks Iupati, as well).

Several of your later picks I have in my own "mock" selections.

Thanks for the effort.
    Appreciate the love, Bill!

I think you could say that about most of the bottom tier of the first round.

FWIW, I think we might be good standing pat. But I can see a trade, too. Hard to read this draft. My preferred guys would be Odrick, Iupati, Pouncey and Graham. I've seen mocks where those guys fall to either side of 1.18, so it's a roll of the dice, fer sure. I guess I wouldn't be disappointed with any of them, so a trade may not compromise what they want anyway.

One thing's for sure, I don't think they trade out until they're on the clock. If Haden or McClain were there, the Steelers would be well-advised to keep their options open.

sjdrewk

I gotta say Hoppy, I like your mock draft.....I couldn't do it so thank you for sharing your thoughts....Gerhart....what round do you think he gets drafted?

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information