Thread: Mel Kiper absolutely loves the Steelers' draft picks

Threads : 440

Default Mel Kiper absolutely loves the Steelers' draft picks

Kiper weighs in on Steelers' draft

April 27th, 2010

I haven’t had a chance to see many draft “grades,” which annoy me more than rush-hour traffic, but that is another blog for another day. I did get a chance to ask ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. on Monday his thoughts on the Steelers’ draft and he had some interesting things to say.

The one thing jumped out is Kiper’s belief that the Steelers got quality as well as quantity out of the draft. He said all 10 of the Steelers’ draft picks have a good chance of making the team's 53-man roster.

“I’d say at the end of the day, all these kids play in the league for somebody, if not for the Steelers, it’s going to be for somebody,” Kiper said.

Here are some other observations he made about the Steelers’ draft.

— He applauded their choice of center/guard Maurkice Pouncey with their first-round pick, No. 18 overall.

“There was talk that he could go a little earlier,” Kiper said. “Very intelligent kid. Great character. At the end of the day he’s going to give them that physically inside presence.”

— Kiper said second- and fourth-round picks Jason Worildes and Thaddeus Gibson are “classic” 3-4 outside linebackers. Both will make the transition from defensive end to linebacker with the Steelers, something 2008 third-round pick Bruce Davis couldn’t do.

— Kiper indicated that the success of the Steelers’ draft could hinge on third-round pick Emmanuel Sanders

“There’s going to be a lot of expected from Emmanuel Sanders,” Kiper said. “He caught the ball in that June Jone’s offense on the SMU teams that really turned it around this past year. He was the key element in that offense.”

-- Kiper said cornerback Crezdon Butler, a fifth-round pick, could eventually become a starter with the Steelers

“Butler could be your third, fourth, fifth defensive back in that rotation as a reserve (this season) and can help you down the road maybe more than that,” Kiper said.

— Don’t dismiss defensive end Doug Worthington as an afterthought, Kiper said, even though the Steelers took the Ohio State product late in the seventh round.

“I think he’ll make the team,” Kiper said. “Hustler, had a very productive year with the Buckeyes.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the- ... s+Box+Blog

Threads : 60

Default Re: Mel Kiper absolutely loves the Steelers' draft picks

Just listen to his comments about JaMarcus Russell. Enough said! Top 5 quarterback? Maybe top 5 bust. Trust me we would be lucky if 5 of these 10 guys made the team.

Last edited by LasVegasGuy; Apr-28-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just listen to his comments about JaMarcus Russell. Enough said! Top 5 quarterback? Maybe top 5 bust. Trust me we would be lucky if 5 of these 10 guys made the team.
    To add some degree of advocacy, couldn't you say that about every draft? Otherwise, the entire roster would be replaced very quickly.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    To add some degree of advocacy, couldn't you say that about every draft? Otherwise, the entire roster would be replaced very quickly.
    ... And highschool as well.... (OK, I thought I had ONE article, but posted another... )

APRIL 27, 2010
    Top 100 Prospects Are No Lock for the NFL

By now, NFL fanatics know what color socks their team's new draft picks wear. But when those players were in high school a few years ago, most of them weren't even on the radar.

Despite all the hoopla that comes with analyzing football recruits, there's nothing scientific about predicting gridiron greatness. Only 39% of the selections from the first two rounds of last weekend's NFL Draft were top 100 recruits in their senior year of high school, according to recruiting Web site Rivals.com. This number pales in comparison to basketball, where 62% of the players selected in the most recent NBA Draft were top 100 basketball recruits.

From 2003 to '05, 17% of the top 100 football recruits were selected in the NFL's first two rounds. The No. 3 recruit in 2003, for example, Whitney Lewis, earned high-school All American honors before heading to USC—he tallied 38 offensive yards, eventually transferred and was never drafted. In basketball, meanwhile, 31% of the top 100 recruits from '03-'05 were chosen in the NBA's two-round draft.

There's good reason for the football drop-off. An electric 250-pound linebacker in high school can turn into a overweight slowpoke in college. But a 6-foot-9 high-school forward is probably not going to shrink. That's no solace to quarterback Jimmy Clausen. After being ranked No. 1 in 2007, Mr. Clausen was the 48th pick in this draft. The three players chosen ahead of him were never ranked.

Then there's quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick Thursday by St. Louis Rams. He wasn't ranked either.

DRAFTED IN NFL
    2003 Top 100 Recruits...22%
    2004 Top 100 Recruits...13%
    2005 Top 100 Recruits...16%

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...079746330.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not only was Mel way off the mark in his assessment of Russell, look at Mel's best available after the Russell pick. A lot of those guys haven't panned out either.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't believe Antonio Brown has a shot to make the team, or the practice squad for that matter. I believe Worthington will make the practice squad. I think this will end up being one of the better drafts in recent memory.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just can't get into all the pre and post draft hype - it's all ****ing bull****.

Every pick is a future HOFer, everyone makes the team, they're all studs.

It's all mental masturbation, I'll see how it plays out - thanks.

Threads : 91

I have heard a few prognosticators say that Worilds is going to be special!

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I have heard a few prognosticators say that Worilds is going to be special!
    the more i read about Worilds the more i like him...

Thursday April 29, 2010 Updated: 9:09 p.m.Search post-gazette.com: Text Size: A| A| A SPORTS / STEELERS NOWNEWSLOCALSPORTSLIVINGA & EBUSINESSOPINIONMULTIMEDIAShoppingCarsJobsReal EstateClassifiedsSteelersPenguinsPiratesHigh SchoolPittPenn StateWest VirginiaDuquesneMore CollegesGolfHunt & FishSki & SnowMore Sports
    Article Tools

Images
    View all images
    About the Author
    Gerry
    Dulac
    Email AuthorCall 412-263-1466Gerry Dulac has the split duty of covering the Steelers and the PGA Tour for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Prior to joining the Post-Gaztette in 1993, he had covered every major sport with the Pittsburgh Press since 1982.Dulac has been traveling with the Steelers since 1992 and has been predicting the outcome of NFL games every Sunday for nearly 20 years. In addition, he hosts or co-hosts three shows a week on Fox Sports Rasdio 970 and the Steelers Radio Network and also serves as a Steelers 'insider' for Fox Sports Net Pittsburgh.Also, Dulac has been writing about golf and golf courses since 1988 and, in that time, has covered every major championship in golf ' the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open, and PGA. He has also played many of the famous courses on which those championships are held, including Augusta National, Pebble Beach, Riviera, Inverness, and Oakmont.Over the years, his writing has been recognized by some of the top organizations in the country, including the Associated Press Sports Editors and the Golf Writers Association of America. In addition to his duties as a golf writer, he also hosts a weekly golf radio show on Fox Sports Radio 970AM ' The Golf Show With Gerry Dulac ' and is a golf TV analyst for Fox Sports Net.More »
    Steelers/NFL
    NFL Notebook: Seattle's 'Big Walt' retires
    Steelers' Worilds man of his word
    Rapper Eminem makes Roethlisberger reference in song
    Steelers must weather fans' storm
    NFL Notebook: Dolphins' GM apologizes for question

Steelers' Worilds man of his word

Friday, April 30, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers drafted Virginia Tech linebacker Jason Worilds in the second round.

Jason Worilds had planned on spending the second night of the National Football League draft watching television and doing pushups, a reminder of the way he first started working out to build himself into a 6-foot-2, 262-pound defensive terror -- just doing pushups.

But when his name was called in the second round with the 52nd overall pick by the Steelers, it was a reminder and a salute to his mom, Sandra, who did everything for the youngest of her two sons, including being his prom date.

"We've always been close," Sandra Worilds said. "I always tried to instill in him to be positive and be respectful. I told him as long as you remain the person you are and respect people, they will respect you. Jason is a really good example of that."

Three years ago, the outside linebacker from Virginia Tech was known as Jason Adjepong, which was the legal name of his father. But, to honor his mom, he went to a Virginia courthouse and legally reclaimed the name -- Worilds (pronounced "worlds") -- he was given at birth before his father switched it.

That way, whenever his name was called on television or at the stadium -- and even during the NFL draft -- it would be a tribute to Sandra Worilds, who spent a lot of her time working in a hospital and at several private nursing jobs in Rahway, N.J., to help raise her sons.

"Whenever my name was called, I wanted it to say 'Worilds,' " he said Thursday, making his way through the Newark Airport to come to Pittsburgh for the three-day rookie minicamp that begins today. "That way it would honor my mom.

"I love my mom, I love the values she gave me. She did a lot for me. Everything I do in my life is for her."

That Worilds name was called by the Steelers was something of a surprise.

Penn State linebacker Sean Lee, who went to Upper St. Clair High School, appeared to be the player the Steelers were targeting in the second round after selecting Florida center Maurkice Pouncey with the 18th overall pick. They had a first-round grade on Lee and thought he fit the way they played better than any linebacker in the draft.

But, the Steelers did not think Lee would be available when it came their turn.

When he was, it seemed like an obvious choice. But coach Mike Tomlin really liked Worilds, an undersized defensive end in college who fit nicely as a disruptive outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense -- something the Steelers were lacking behind James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley.

What's more, the return of Larry Foote in free agency gave the Steelers four inside linebackers, along with James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons and Keyaron Fox. Even though Farrior is 35, the need for depth was more dire on the outside, not inside.

So they passed on Lee and selected Worilds.

"Jason Worilds is a very athletic guy who can get after the quarterback," said director of football operations Kevin Colbert. "Teams started paying more attention to him this year and his sack production went down. But he was just as effective and just as disruptive, and probably had his best game of the year in his last game against Tennessee."

Worilds was not a stand-up pass rusher at Virginia Tech, where he recorded 34 tackles for losses and 15 sacks in 25 career starts. He played exclusively in a three-point stance, something the Steelers worry about when they try to project a defensive end as an outside linebacker in their defense.

But, when the Steelers went to Virginia Tech for a workout, linebackers coach Keith Butler was impressed with the way Worilds handled all the drills, including opening his hips and dropping into coverage.

"He probably had one of the best workouts this year of anyone we've seen," Butler said. "He was able to do things that we wanted him to do that we think he can do in this system."

That all sounds good to Worilds, who thinks he fits nicely into the mold of outside linebackers in the Steelers' defense.

"You look at those outside guys, James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley, and the way they get after the ball and how much passion they play with ... they're physical, explosive players," Worilds said. "I like to model my game after them. I'm excited to come in and learn as much as I can from those guys."

About that prom date.

Since he was in ninth grade, Worilds always told his mom he was going to take her to the prom when he was a senior at Cateret (N.J.) High School. But Sandra Worilds always dismissed the talk, telling her son he would change his mind once the time came.

"I told her I was going to do it and she would always say, 'Oh, you'll change your mind,' " Worilds said. "But I didn't."

It wasn't because Worilds couldn't get a date. He just wanted to take his mom.

"I thought he would change his mind," Sandra Worilds said Thursday, excited that her son's new team is less than a six-hour drive from her home. "But, sure enough, when he was a senior, he said, "What are you going to wear to the prom?' We did wind up going. It was nice."

If nothing else, Jason Worilds is a man of his word.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10120...#ixzz0mZ9wGNnt

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information