Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who killed the USFL?

sjdrewk

Default Who killed the USFL?

I loved the USFL. I just loved football in the spring. I was a Philadelphia Stars fan(go figure) and the quality was there. It wasn't a cheap flingy football league. I remember just how many big name coaches and some great players like Sam Mills, Jim Kelley, Steve Young, etc., and others in the league. I was sorry when the USFL folded. I wonder what things would be like now if the USFL would have continued on like it should have. My theory is that maybe we would have seen another merger and we would now have 35-40 teams in the NFL. But maybe not.

This is Kelvin Bryant
    Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:07 am EDT

Donald Trump killed the USFL; documentary kills Donald Trump
    By MJD

Last night's installment of the "30 for 30" series on ESPN detailed the rise and fall of everyone's favorite defunct football league, the USFL. The official title was "Small Potatoes: Who Killed the USFL?" but it might as well have been, "Donald Trump Murdered the USFL, Brutally and Without Remorse, and Then Urinated on the Corpse."
    Whether or not that's true, I couldn't tell you, but Trump is certainly who this documentary blames for the league's demise. Of course, there are two sides to every story, and for the record, Trump has called the documentary "dishonest," "third-rate," and its director "a loser." It should be noted, though, that loser/filmmaker Mike Tollin seemed easily able to find a lot of people who agreed that Trump's greed and ego were the primary reasons for the USFL's death.
    Regardless of blame, it was a fun hour of USFL reminiscing. I remember the league, but not a lot of specifics. I remember it existing in the spring, and I remember being happy that there was football on television. I remember that the league had some sweet logos, and I remember my Topps USFL trading cards. I remember everyone making a big deal about how Herschel Walker was going to be making a million dollars a year.
    I remember that (to my young mind, anyway) it had a "big league" feel. It wasn't like watching a UFL game today, with that nagging "this is nice and all, but I get about 20 reminders every minute that this is extremely bush league" feeling. It felt like an event. People were genuinely interested in and excited about this thing.
    I have no memories of any specific plays or players, though, so this documentary was nice to help paint a better picture for me. I knew that the USFL had some quality players, but I don't think I realized just how many. The NFL had use for 187 of the USFL's players after they folded, and 15 of them went to the Pro Bowl in their first year out of the USFL. That will not be happening with the UFL.
    As for the documentary itself, I think its strength -- that it was so personal -- was also a bit of a weakness. It was truly an inside look at the league, and a lot of people clearly were very passionate about it. But it also felt like there was an agenda, specifically, to paint Trump as not just the bad guy as it relates to the USFL, but a bad guy in general.
    And maybe that's true. Maybe Trump really did single-handedly kill something awesome that should still be alive today. It's hard to trust that, though, when the documentary was so heavy-handed about making sure that viewers knew Trump was the villain.

Threads : 60

Default Re: Who killed the USFL?

I was actually getting into the USFL and thought they were smart by playing their season after the Super Bowl. These other leagues that go against the NFL (XFL, UFL, World League are destined to fail right out of the gate.)

I say the UFL needs to have more teams to start with and then move their season from mid to late February to May and play their Championship game oround Memorial day weekend. I think most football fans will be hungry for football during this time and may actually tune in and start getting into these teams/games.

Seriously for me the UFL at this point isn't even an afterthought with the Steelers playing.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was actually getting into the USFL and thought they were smart by playing their season after the Super Bowl. These other leagues that go against the NFL (XFL, UFL, World League are destined to fail right out of the gate.)

I say the UFL needs to have more teams to start with and then move their season from mid to late February to May and play their Championship game oround Memorial day weekend. I think most football fans will be hungry for football during this time and may actually tune in and start getting into these teams/games.

Seriously for me the UFL at this point isn't even an afterthought with the Steelers playing.
    I'm a bit too young to remember the USFL. But, I tried to watch one of the UFL games last week and it was terribile. The teams jerseys looked exactly the ****ing same.

sjdrewk

My opinion is, the UFL won't last. IT has to pattern its time frame of its season like you said Vegas, like the USFL. As a lark, because no one said a word about the UFL, I posted a thread title Meet the California Redwoods and nobody cared.LOL

Threads : 691

Ahh **** it!!! I wanted to watch that and I forgot it was on. I was really into the U.S.F.L. and like you Andy,I think if they had won some real money in their suit,there would have been some sort of merger.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ahh **** it!!! I wanted to watch that and I forgot it was on. I was really into the U.S.F.L. and like you Andy,I think if they had won some real money in their suit,there would have been some sort of merger.
    I was watching the two USFL championship games yesterday. Ah the memories! George Allen and Jim Mora coaching against each other. How we so easily forget the great coaches of the past. WE all seem to forget the past.

Anywhoser, You have another chance, Ray. It's scheduled for 6pm pst, 9pm your time on ESPN2.

Threads : 27
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I loved the USFL. I remember when Cliff Stoudt and Mike Rozier played for the Pittsburgh Maulers and fans threw snowballs and batteries at Cliff.

REMEMBER THESE!? (The first set of teams) Can you name them?

sjdrewk

Lets see:
    BLitz, Invaders, LA EXpress, Philly Stars, NJ Generals, Birmingham Stallions, Breakers..uh, that's all I can remember without googling. lol
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

sjdrewk

Oh I got one more.Arizona WRanglers.

Crap...uh...Washington Federals. Denver Power. (I think)

The one in the back with the Panther on it...I have no clue.

Not pictured...Pittsburgh Maulers and San Antonio Gun Slingers (Rick Neuheisel as QB)

sjdrewk

I remember all the logo's but I can't remember the name of the teams for the two helmets in the back and the Federals.

sjdrewk

Is that a Panther in the back? I know there were the Michigan Panther with ANthony Carter was a great player for them. Is that the Michigan Panther helmet then? I don't remember it looking all white in color.

I'm gonna have to Google. I can't recall these.

• Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information