Thread: Ben's public statement obviously came straight from his heart

Threads : 440

Default Ben's public statement obviously came straight from his heart

Roethlisberger doesn’t plan to appeal suspension

Posted: April 26th, 2010 | NFL.com Staff

Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger released the following statement Monday regarding his six-game suspension by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell for violating the league’s personal-conduct policy.

“The Commissioner’s decision to suspend me speaks clearly that more is expected of me. I am accountable for the consequences of my actions. Though I have committed no crime, I regret that I have fallen short of the values instilled in me by my family. I will not appeal the suspension and will comply with what is asked of me — and more.

“Missing games will be devastating for me. I am sorry to let down my teammates and the entire Steelers fan base. I am disappointed that I have reached this point and will not put myself in this situation again.

“I appreciate the opportunities that I have been given in my life and will make the necessary improvements.”

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/news/

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ben's public statement obviously came straight from his heart

Lawyer speak.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exactly.

Scripted for a price.

Threads : 60

I think the only thing Ben is sorry about is that he was caught. I can see this idiot doing it again next summer.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am going to give the guy one last shot. He is going to get some kind of counseling, be it alcohol or whatever. He is apparently pretty stunned how strongly Pittsburgh and us fans reacted to this incident in Georgia, so I believe he has been humbled to the realities of his actions, although from his apology you wouldn't think so.
    If I were him, I would just pay Andrea McNulty off and get that behind me as well so that I could focus on turning my life around and move on.
    I look for him to come to camp in much better shape, focused and ready to play, because he is going to have to play very well to get Steeler fans to start coming back to his corner.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the only thing Ben is sorry about is that he was caught. I can see this idiot doing it again next summer.
    na -i dont think he,s that stupid.everybody has there wake up call and this is his.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I were him, I would just pay Andrea McNulty off and get that behind me as well so that I could focus on turning my life around and move on.
    That is assuming that she would be willing to be "paid off"....

I agree that he'll probably come into the mix hungry and ready to go.... But now the question has to be; "How many reps will he get?".... While we all know that he'll be back after a few weeks, we also have to give consideration to whoever is gonna be at the helm for the start of the season.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

Roethlisberger's apology certainly sorry

Thursday, April 29, 2010

I dunno about you, but I think I would have preferred to have Ben Roethlisberger apologize in a three-piece suit, with his hair neatly trimmed in a crew cut, and his eyes glistening with tears as Terry Bradshaw lovingly stroked his shoulder.

Seriously, does he think a statement e-mailed to news outlets fits the bill? That's all we get?

You'd think he had never done anything wrong before. Surely by now, Roethlisberger would have mastered the fine art of the apology. Especially after the first one he offered. He showed up in workout clothes, for crying out loud.

The main thing you want to do when you apologize is maintain eye contact, which you can't do on paper. Eye contact shows sincerity and connects you to the audience.

A show of emotion wouldn't have hurt, either. If you don't enter an apology press conference looking like you've been through the emotional wringer, go chop an onion. Another good trick for crying is imagining something really tragic, like Kordell Stewart's black-and-gold career.

If Ben's going to really sell us on an apology, it's clear what he'll have to do next.

He needs to enter rehab of some sort. Sex, drugs, videotape -- you pick it, boy, but nothing says sorry like a week at a Betty Ford center that none of us could even hope to afford.

If he wants forgiveness, he's going to have to do better than this Tiger-Woods-controlled-environment drivel, isn't he?

He really owes us a major explanation. We are victims of the heightened expectation that we had of him, for no real reason at all, other than that he can throw a football really far, and if you want "one for the pinky toe," he might be your guy.

We could have decided to look up to anybody, but we decided to stick with Ben Roethlisberger.

Pittsburgh, by the way, is where Jonas Salk discovered the cure for polio. But there's no football field named after him. No restaurant came up with a Jonasburger.

Ben is not the first 28-year-old male we know of who acted like a moron and made questionable decisions.

But he really messed up this time, and we certainly have every right to judge this apology and pick it apart, trying to judge its sincerity. It makes complete sense to block out three whole minutes of a news broadcast to determine whether Pittsburghers think he's really sorry. Besides that, we need assurances that he has changed.

Fortunately for Ben, many transgressed before he did, and he can learn lessons from them. Those apologies worked on us, because if you want to determine someone's sincerity, ask people who have never done anything wrong. Like me. And you.

http://www.dailyevergreen.com/story/31832

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just can't agree with the above article. I really can't.

I don't need **** from him other than to quit draggin the Rooneys, the Steelers, and the fans thru the mud. He can stick his apology up his *** for all I care about. I don't care if I'm apologized to, just quit making the front page headlines of major sports papers! ****!

Is that too much to ask? Other than that, I couldn't give less of a **** about being apologized to. As long as he apologized to the girl(s) who suffered from him, that's all i care about.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information