Thread: Shoulder Surgery for Hart

Threads : 138

Default Shoulder Surgery for Hart

That's two torn labrums in exchange for Gorzelanny and Grablow.

Friday, April 30, 2010
    By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    LOS ANGELES -- Pirates pitcher Kevin Hart has had right shoulder surgery recommended because of a labrum tear. The surgery was recommended this afternoon by Dr. Patrick DeMeo, the team physician.

Hart will be examined again next week by Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala. for a second opinion.

The Pirates are are declining comment on the matter until after Dr. Andrews' examination, for which there is not yet a specific date. The declining of comment is a rarity as it relates to a player being injured.

The team did not disclose that Dr. DeMeo recommended surgery, but Hart did in a phone interview.

"I don't think I expected the news that I got today," Hart said. "I definitely knew that something wasn't right, but I didn't expect to go in and hear that the doctor's recommendation is that you're having surgery. As far as that's concerned, I'm shocked."

The team yesterday said that Hart had what was believed to be a strained right biceps, and Hart acknowledged he felt the same way.

He did not sound as if he held out much hope for Dr. Andrews to change the diagnosis.

"I think it's just a case of wanting to be sure," Hart said.

Hart, 27, was one of two pitchers that general manager Neal Huntington acquired in a five-player trade last July with the Chicago Cubs. The other, reliever Jose Ascanio, had shoulder surgery in the offseason.

The Pirates also acquired Class AA infielder Josh Harrison while sending to the Cubs starter Tom Gorzelanny, who had a strong April, and reliever John Grabow, who did not.

Hart had a highly erratic spring for the Pirates, then was 1-0 with a 6.75 ERA in five appearances, four starts, with Class AAA Indianapolis.

"I feel like there's something all year that hasn't been quite right as far as my arm goes. I've felt things before as a pitcher where you try to throw through it. Then, in the past week, it kind of progressed."

Hart allowed eight runs in two innings Wednesday in Pawtucket, R.I.

A shoulder surgery, if that turns out to be the option, generally is worse news for a pitcher than elbow surgery. The recovery can take more than a year, and the return much less predictable. But Hart spoke in strong tones about his desire to make a full recovery.

"I'm extremely determined," he said. "This is one of this things where you try to find a positive. It gives me the opportunity to get 100 percent healthy, then focus on the pitching aspect, get back on the mound and really show everybody that you haven't heard the last of me. There are a lot of guys who have had shoulder surgery and done extremely good things. Chris Carpenter is a good example. I can look to guys like that as an example of stuff that can still be accomplished."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10120...#ixzz0me0fJTYL

Threads : 197

Default Re: Shoulder Surgery for Hart

For some reason the text I'm writing right now is showing up in white on a white background, so I have no idea what's going on here. I'll probably misspell half the words and none of this will make sense.

At least there's an explanation for the wildness. As soon as I saw the injury report yesterday I figured it was something more that had been going on a few days. The wording as "what is believed to be a bicep strain" or whatever also made it look strange.

People see labrum tear and assume it's the worst injury in the world because of history, but it's not necessarily the case. The determining factor is the rotator cuff. When the reports on the surgery come out you have to see if they mention damage to the rotator cuff or not,. When there's no real structural damage and just a labrum tear guys come back to full strength about 80% of the time. If there is structural damage the full recovery rate is about 20%.

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep Me Too Can't see what you're typing

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if I buy that the injury caused the wildness unless it happened last year because he sucked since we got him. I wonder if the changing of the delievey played a part in it as throwing differently can significantly cause something like this. I hope he recovers and becomes what Huntington and scouts thought he would be, otherwise the Grabow Gorzo trade ranks as one of the worst under Huntington's watch.

Threads : 122

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if I buy that the injury caused the wildness unless it happened last year because he sucked since we got him. I wonder if the changing of the delievey played a part in it as throwing differently can significantly cause something like this. I hope he recovers and becomes what Huntington and scouts thought he would be, otherwise the Grabow Gorzo trade ranks as one of the worst under Huntington's watch.
    I posted on here before that I pitched my entire life with a 3/4 arm slot delivery till I went to college. Had tons of success with that arm slot and delivery and never had a single odd twinge or pain in my shoulder or elbow at all.....NONE. Immediately in college the pitching coach tells me he wants me to go to a straight over the top delivery. Long story short, I threw like that all season, went home for my summer season, and blew out my shoulder about half way through the summer season ending my pitching career. I think if you throw one way for so many years, changing that up causes problems. Your smaller muscles are used to the original motion. Only time throwing motions should be changed is in freaking little league.

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know if I buy that the injury caused the wildness unless it happened last year because he sucked since we got him.
    His control has never been as bad as it was this season. He's been wild at the major league level, but not like he was throughout spring training and into the season at AAA. His BB/9 was 5.7 in AAA this year. He hasn't had a minor league season that bad ever, and has been under 3.5 at AAA the last few years. In Spring Training he walked 13 in 4 2/3.

Threads : 138

"Monday, May 03, 2010
    By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Kevin Hart not only got a second opinion from Dr. James Andrews today, he also got an appointment for surgery to repair the torn labrum in his right, throwing shoulder -- Tuesday morning by Andrews in his Birmingham, Ala., headquarters, the Pirates announced this afternoon.

Hart's rehabilitation is expected to take eight to 10 months.

That puts him on pace to open the spring-training schedule with the Pirates at the back end of that projection.

Hart brought to the attention of Class AAA Indianapolis Indians management and the Pirates last week that his shoulder was in discomfort. It followed a start in which he yielded seven earned runs, seven hits and four walks in two innings at Pawtucket on Wednesday. He was diagnosed last Friday by Pirates team Dr. Patrick DeMeo as a candidate for surgery, which Andrews' second opinion confirmed today.

Hart was 1-0 with a 6.75 ERA in the minors this spring and went 1-8 with a 6.92 ERA as a Pirates starter after being traded from the Chicago Cubs last July."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10123...#ixzz0muFms1h5

Based on Neal Huntington's quotes Sunday he doesn't believe there is rotator cuff damage which is about the best sign you can hope for with a labrum tear. That may change when they get in there. We'll see how things go.

On an unrelated note, the people running the PG blog were pretty stupid with the way they set it up so you can get 10 page views. Anyone who knows even a little bit about the internet is going to be able to get way more than 10 page views without subscribing. You won't be able to comment, but I rarely did that anyway since it's still impossible to follow. Hopefully they don't make any changes.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information