Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reed apologizes to teammates

sjdrewk

Default Reed apologizes to teammates

Reed apologizes to teammates
    Comment Email Print Share
    Associated Press
    PITTSBURGH -- Steelers kicker Jeff Reed is saying he's sorry. Again.

The question is whether the Steelers will tire of a dependable but distraction-causing player who constantly keeps needing to apologize.

AFC North blog
    ESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC North in his division blog.

• Blog network: NFL Nation

Reed said he's unhappy at focusing unwanted attention on the organization by becoming involved in a run-in with Pittsburgh police, several hours after kicking two field goals during a 27-14 victory against Cleveland on Sunday.

"I apologize for being a distraction to this team," Reed said. "For me, now I can move on. There are other players that have done this and played well, so it's not an excuse."

The incident was the second involving Reed this year and led to talks with team president Art Rooney II, director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin, none of whom was pleased with Reed's actions.

Earlier this year, Reed paid $543 in fines and restitution after pleading guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief for damaging a paper towel dispenser in a Pittsburgh-area convenience store bathroom in February, a few weeks after the Steelers won the Super Bowl.

The NFL is investigating Reed's latest off-field problem, in which he was cited for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness after allegedly scuffling with police officers outside a bar near Heinz Field.

Reed will play Sunday against unbeaten Minnesota (6-0), but Tomlin had no options other than bringing in an unfamiliar kicker for his team's biggest game of the season so far.

"When you're talking about pulling people out of lineups and so forth, it's not conducive to winning," Tomlin said.

While the Steelers aren't punishing him for now, Reed is unsigned past this season, and the off-field incidents aren't helping persuade the Steelers (4-2) to bring him back.

"I was very shocked to hear people ask if I was going to play or not," Reed said. "Stuff like this, you've just got to deal with. It makes you tougher. I'm a [special teams] captain of this team. It may not sound like it when something like this comes up, but I like to represent this team as well as I can."

Steelers backup tight end Matt Spaeth, issued a citation for disorderly conduct for urinating in a parking lot during the post-game incident, also apologized. He said the matter was being resolved internally.

Reed expects the investigation to take some time, but is certain he won't be suspended. He also told his agent, Don Henderson, not to comment on the case. Henderson has said Reed will fight the charges.

"I told my agent to keep his mouth shut because he doesn't know what's going on," Reed said.

Reed's teammates told him "to keep my head up, don't worry about it, we need you." He also received numerous well wishes from fans while attending the Blues-Penguins game on Tuesday night.

"It's been embarrassing to be in the news like that, but at the same time my job is to kick field goals and extra points and kick off for this team, and I will."

The 30-year-old Reed had two costly field goal misses during the Steelers' 17-14 loss at Chicago on Sept. 20, but is 7 for 10 for the season. He made a winner in overtime against Tennessee on Sept. 10, and is 12th in NFL history in field goal accuracy, making 169 of 206 (82 percent).

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Reed apologizes to teammates

This bizzaro look at me **** is getting real old Mr Reed. You act more like a Bengal member of Ocho's posse' than a Steeler.

Threads : 27

He's gone after this year...for sure. I'm sure there are other kickers that can handle the mush at Heinz Field. Janikowski is a FA after this year.

Threads : 407

Lord have mercy, cut the dude some slack, it ain't like he's been accused some raping some chick or something!!!!

Threads : 58

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's gone after this year...for sure. I'm sure there are other kickers that can handle the mush at Heinz Field. Janikowski is a FA after this year.
    Sweet. Swipe out an immature drunk for a GHB head.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mr. Reed, Don't be sorry...be better.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 135

Im sorry...but he's a kicker.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 215

Is Norm still available?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey cross, did you ever get the Legursky pics?

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    Is Norm still available?

Sadly at the top the prospects for kickers in this coming draft dont look too appealing.

The major issue, too, is that Reed has in general been one of the better accuracy kickers for the Steelers for many year...and certainly clutch too. He's kicked pretty well at a tough stadium and has NORMALLY been there when we need him...although in a contract year he's falling apart
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Maybe the team should just bury teams by scoring 40 points and playin' college ball.....RUN IT UP BOYS...and not worry about late-game situations and thus save a roster spot by not having a kicker. Just have a punter kick the PAT.
    Hidden Content

If he keeps getting into these types of situations, he could be resigned cheaper. Go gettem Jeffrey!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    If he keeps getting into these types of situations, he could be resigned cheaper. Go gettem Jeffrey!!!
    Maybe civil disobedience would have been more successful for him than assault? Next time he should just whip it out and start pee'in right next to Spaeth...right?

*The author of this post is not responsible for any implications made therein...he does not condone nor promote such vile degradations of the law...Thank you*
    Hidden Content

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    He's gone after this year...for sure. I'm sure there are other kickers that can handle the mush at Heinz Field.
    I was backing Reed constantly during camp and the start of the season while listening to all the talk about him being gone.... But at this point, I gotta agree with you. Enough is enough... Whether he's actually hurt or not (reasoning for missing a few FGs and shorter than his average short KOs) doesn't change the fact that he's just too far out there and is getting into trouble... Granted, a towel dispenser is funny, but this one is not, IMO.

Man, I like the guy, but he needs to keep a lower profile if he wants a raise.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Reed focused on getting his job done
    Thursday, October 22, 2009
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Kicker Jeff Reed declined Wednesday to discuss an incident which resulted in Reed receiving multiple citations, instead deferring any questions to Coach Mike Tomlin.

Reed did say he had a good meeting with Tomlin, as well as team President Art Rooney, II and director of football operations Kevin Colbert regarding the chargers against him of simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness after a run-in with police outside McFadden’s following the team’s 27-14 win over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday.

“I would like to say that I have the utmost respect for this community, for this team, for this organization,” said Reed. “I have talked to Mr. Rooney, Kevin and Coach Tomlin. They told me what they thought and it was not negative. There is a lot more investigating to do with this so I am not going to talk about it.”

Reed said he was satisfied with how the team handled things so far, and was surprised to hear the subject of whether he would be able to play or not brought up in Tomlin’s press conference this week.

“I was kind of shocked to hear people ask if I was going to play or not,” said Reed. “Stuff like this you have to deal with and it makes you stronger. I am a captain of this team. It may not sound like it when something like this comes up, but I like to represent this team as well as I can. You know that through all of the charity stuff I do and events like that.”

Reed showed his commitment to the community when he attended Bid For Hope VIII to benefit breast cancer research the night after the incident, not backing out in any way on a promise he made to teammate Heath Miller that he would be there.

“All of them told me to keep my head up, don’t worry about it, we need you,” said Reed of the reaction from his teammates. “Stuff like that keeps me going.”

At the same time he understands that such things can be a distraction and he is comfortable saying it won’t impact his play at all.

“I apologize for it being a distraction for the team,” said Reed. “For me, I can move on. There are other players who have done this and played well, so that is no excuse. My job is to make points, kick field goals, kickoffs for this team and I will always do my best.”
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

• Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information