Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27

Thread: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

      
  1. #1
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    It is killing me inside.

    The lack of fundamentals is really killing me.

    I have counted at least 5 if not 6 runs that could have been prevented today if the Buccos make the easy and smart play.

    Not to mention the runs we continue to lose on the base paths...

  2. #2
    rbilak's Avatar
    Status : rbilak is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Nov 24, 2009
    Location : Shreveport LA
    Posts : 299
    Threads : 40
    Last Online : Jul-17-2010 @ 10:52 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is killing me inside.

    The lack of fundamentals is really killing me.

    I have counted at least 5 if not 6 runs that could have been prevented today if the Buccos make the easy and smart play.

    Not to mention the runs we continue to lose on the base paths...
    It is hard to watch, even the normally excuse making announcers have had it. Aki Iwaruma sucks! Again I would like to know who the hell scouted him and allowed us to dump Chavez for this turd of a player. The double play he failed to turn today was single A level, the steal last night was stupid. What sense did it make to trade for a guy with one year on a contract, a position Laroche should have been groomed for with Pedro coming up? Now Donnelly is hurt also, I am watching Bass, who is another in the long list of Ryan Van Bensong type pitchers we continuously bring up. WVkeeper when you are getting upset I know things are bad. Lup where are you, we need some faith brother!

  3. #3
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Another crappy inning.

    Killing me guys...

    Another thing at least Wehner and Walkie are willing to call these guys out. Wehner said LaRoche had no business arguing the call at first when he should not have gotten himself in the position in the first place.

  4. #4
    tocchet92's Avatar
    Status : tocchet92 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 138
    Last Online : Jul-14-2012 @ 11:09 AM

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aki Iwaruma sucks! Again I would like to know who the hell scouted him and allowed us to dump Chavez for this turd of a player.
    $$$$$$$$$$

    He is awful. He's fat, has no range, and turns the double-play like a little girl. Is there another major-league second baseman who turns a double the way he does? He steps on the bag and then backs up and falls away towards left center as he tries to make the throw to first. How can he get anything on that throw?

    Any second baseman that I have seen will come across the bag moving toward the pitcher's mound and fire it to first often jumping over the slide. Even Elf (Will Ferrell) did this with a snowball. Why can't Chunky Iwamura do this?

    I wonder if Neil Walker can turn a double play. He has been playing a lot of 2B lately.
    Last edited by tocchet92; May-02-2010 at 06:17 PM.

  5. #5
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    I think this is why Neil has been playing 2B...

    Remember Craig Biggio started out as a Catcher...

  6. #6
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    We've been saying that we are beginning to have some options. Time to start showing them.

  7. #7
    GeoPittsburghFan's Avatar
    Status : GeoPittsburghFan is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Posts : 1,030
    Threads : 5
    Last Online : Mar-04-2016 @ 08:57 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    $$$$$$$$$$

    He is awful. He's fat, has no range, and turns the double-play like a little girl. [HIGH-LIGHT]Is there another major-league second baseman who turns a double the way he does? He steps on the bag and then backs up and falls away towards left center as he tries to make the throw to first. How can he get anything on that throw? [/HIGH-LIGHT]

    Any second baseman that I have seen will come across the bag moving toward the pitcher's mound and fire it to first often jumping over the slide. Even Elf (Will Ferrell) did this with a snowball. Why can't Chunky Iwamura do this?

    I wonder if Neil Walker can turn a double play. He has been playing a lot of 2B lately.
    I'm thinking he's still a little shell shocked from having his knee blown out last year. Last year he was turning a double play and did step into the throw and wasn't able to jump over the slide and was put on the DL for the remainder of the season. While not a good excuse, the falling away while throwing could be in his head.


    Besides, I think Iwamura will be here this season only. Once Pedro is called up, I expect to see Laroche at both 2nd and 3rd base.

  8. #8
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm thinking he's still a little shell shocked from having his knee blown out last year. Last year he was turning a double play and did step into the throw and wasn't able to jump over the slide and was put on the DL for the remainder of the season. While not a good excuse, the falling away while throwing could be in his head.

    Besides, I think Iwamura will be here this season only. Once Pedro is called up, I expect to see Laroche at both 2nd and 3rd base.
    The knee is definitely a big reason he's a little ginger on the feet this season. Prior to that, the guy was always considered an above average 2B both offensively and defensively, so if the Pirates scouts are bad, so is most of baseball for having the same opinion of Aki. The question mark with him was how he was going to rebound from the injury. It's been slow thusfar
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  9. #9
    buccoman's Avatar
    Status : buccoman is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 29, 2009
    Posts : 521
    Threads : 24
    Last Online : Aug-14-2014 @ 07:33 PM

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Is the losing "worth it?" Hard to say, but the Pirate major league baseball product, from about the trading deadline last year, until now, has been some of the most unwatchable baseball I have observed in over 30 years as a fan. However, I am going to give them time to show me that their plan is workable. If a couple guys, like Clement and Milledge, can find their stride, it would really help move the ball forward. I think both of those guys are athletic and talented, and I am willing to be patient with them. The starting pitching, on the other hand, is a mess. No real prosepcts in the upper minors and little talent in the majors. That worries me, and could ultimately make this losing NOT worth it...

  10. #10
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Ultimately losing never feels or seems "worth it" until the winning comes and then all of the sudden it was "worth it". Watching the Pittsburgh Penguins from the time Jaromir Jagr was traded for a bag of pucks and cash up until 2006-07 was more unbearable to watch than the Pirates are right now but it's tough for people to even remember how dreadfully bad those Pens teams were because now they are a Stanley Cup Championship team. The losing and the bad tend to feel like they were ages ago... When the Pens finally turned it around and had a winning season in 2006-07 most everyone would say "the losing was worth it" because all you wanted to see was a winning product.

    Basically it's far too early to tell. Remember it wasn't too long ago (just a few seasons) when the Pirates finished out a year .500 or started off a season at .500 and what was the end result? Something like 68-72 wins. Last year the Pirates started off 11-7. That team was nowhere near that good. This team is 10-15 with a .400 winning percentage. Remember that 2008 team that most fans cried and *****ed about being broken up that had Bay, Nady, McLouth, Wilson, Sanchez, Gorzelanny, Capps, Marte, Torres etc....? 12-18 with a .400 winning percentage at this point
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  11. #11
    tocchet92's Avatar
    Status : tocchet92 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 138
    Last Online : Jul-14-2012 @ 11:09 AM

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The knee is definitely a big reason he's a little ginger on the feet this season. Prior to that, the guy was always considered an above average 2B both offensively and defensively, so if the Pirates scouts are bad, so is most of baseball for having the same opinion of Aki. The question mark with him was how he was going to rebound from the injury. It's been slow thusfar
    He's not just "a little ginger" in the field. He's awful.

    The Pirates scouts failed to see that Iwamura was no longer capable of playing second base after the injury.

  12. #12
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's not just "a little ginger" in the field. He's awful.

    The Pirates scouts failed to see that Iwamura was no longer capable of playing second base after the injury.
    Awful is Delwyn Young.

    Aki wasn't terribly bad after his injury. There were questions just like EVERY player has after an injury about how they would rebound. Not going to fault the scouts for this. You need to go make some other guess on what you want to "blame" today instead of reaching for straws to cpmplain
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  13. #13
    rbilak's Avatar
    Status : rbilak is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Nov 24, 2009
    Location : Shreveport LA
    Posts : 299
    Threads : 40
    Last Online : Jul-17-2010 @ 10:52 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Awful is Delwyn Young.

    Aki wasn't terribly bad after his injury. There were questions just like EVERY player has after an injury about how they would rebound. Not going to fault the scouts for this. You need to go make some other guess on what you want to "blame" today instead of reaching for straws to cpmplain

    Kip, come on man, this guy is as bad as Young. If not the scouts fault then Huntington himself. Again what logic did it make to trade for the guy? One year on a contract, coming off an injury, trading a pitcher who you control, playing him at a position where Laroche will move. Sorry I don't get it. I am seeing a track record on Huntington and his MLB evaluation skills. This guy (AKI) is overweight and below average as a fielder. Why trade for the guy with one year left and Pedro coming up. If Laroche ends up at second then it was a joke. Yes I am looking for someone to "blame" That is the job of the GM and scouts to ensure a guy is capable of playing. Look at the team, Milledge has zero power, Cedeno is benched and they (pirates) complain about his lack of attention, Clement is overmatched, Morton is doing his best Kip Wells imitation, so yeah I see a track record of a GM who if he continues on with trades will have take a very bad team and made it even worse. It is year 3 of Huntington, so extend him and JR now or fire them and we start over yet again. He has to be better than 50/50 on trades, he has been overmatched on almost everyone of them.

  14. #14
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    He's nowhere near as bad as Delwyn Young. ANYONE making those comments knows absolutely nothing about what they are seeing defensively. ust people making complaints to make complaints. Akinori Iwamura is light years better defensively than Delwyn Young. Tere's not a single Scout or GM in baseball that would agree with you or tocchet.

    Is Aki playing well? no. Then again, nobody is playing well defensively. Is Aki's injury playing a part in mobility? I wouldn't doubt it. Is that the scouts fault like tocchet erroneously claims? No. Simply because Aki played decently defensively when he came back from his injury in late august last season. At times he's played a little worse than expected but this entire team hasn't per4formed up to their abilities defensively. We needed a 2B that was better than Delwyn Young and the Rays wanted to unload Aki's salary. Deal was made and IMO at the time it was a good trade just like most people made it out to be. Let's not go and whine about the trades and decisions now and act like YOU or someone else knew they were bad all along

    I'm not in disagreement that right now Huntington's trades don't look very good, the talent evaluations, the scouting, Greg Smith in particular look really shotty and the results aren't there.

    It's also early in the season. It's retarded to whine hard right now just as it would be to get overly optimistic after an 11-7 start (like last season) or being the 2008 team, was 2 ior 3 pitchers short of making the playoffs or Tike Redman, Chris Duffy and Nate Mclouth were as good as people though they were.

    Pirates fans are good for one thing - over reacting.

    Let's save the drama. There's a lot of baseball left. I'm not feeling optimistic about well... everyone on the roster from Andrew McCutchen to Garrett Jones right now, it doesn't take much for one to turn a .200 bating average into a .270+ batting average at this point in the season.


    Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kip, come on man, this guy is as bad as Young. If not the scouts fault then Huntington himself. Again what logic did it make to trade for the guy? One year on a contract, coming off an injury, trading a pitcher who you control, playing him at a position where Laroche will move. Sorry I don't get it. I am seeing a track record on Huntington and his MLB evaluation skills. This guy (AKI) is overweight and below average as a fielder. Why trade for the guy with one year left and Pedro coming up. If Laroche ends up at second then it was a joke. Yes I am looking for someone to "blame" That is the job of the GM and scouts to ensure a guy is capable of playing. Look at the team, Milledge has zero power, Cedeno is benched and they (pirates) complain about his lack of attention, Clement is overmatched, Morton is doing his best Kip Wells imitation, so yeah I see a track record of a GM who if he continues on with trades will have take a very bad team and made it even worse. It is year 3 of Huntington, so extend him and JR now or fire them and we start over yet again. He has to be better than 50/50 on trades, he has been overmatched on almost everyone of them.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  15. #15
    tocchet92's Avatar
    Status : tocchet92 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 138
    Last Online : Jul-14-2012 @ 11:09 AM

    Default Re: This Losing Better Be Worth It.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's nowhere near as bad as Delwyn Young. ANYONE making those comments knows absolutely nothing about what they are seeing defensively. ust people making complaints to make complaints. Akinori Iwamura is light years better defensively than Delwyn Young. Tere's not a single Scout or GM in baseball that would agree with you or tocchet.

    Is Aki playing well? no. Then again, nobody is playing well defensively. Is Aki's injury playing a part in mobility? I wouldn't doubt it. Is that the scouts fault like tocchet erroneously claims? No. Simply because Aki played decently defensively when he came back from his injury in late august last season. At times he's played a little worse than expected but this entire team hasn't per4formed up to their abilities defensively. We needed a 2B that was better than Delwyn Young and the Rays wanted to unload Aki's salary. Deal was made and IMO at the time it was a good trade just like most people made it out to be. Let's not go and whine about the trades and decisions now and act like YOU or someone else knew they were bad all along

    I'm not in disagreement that right now Huntington's trades don't look very good, the talent evaluations, the scouting, Greg Smith in particular look really shotty and the results aren't there.

    It's also early in the season. It's retarded to whine hard right now just as it would be to get overly optimistic after an 11-7 start (like last season) or being the 2008 team, was 2 ior 3 pitchers short of making the playoffs or Tike Redman, Chris Duffy and Nate Mclouth were as good as people though they were.

    Pirates fans are good for one thing - over reacting.

    Let's save the drama. There's a lot of baseball left. I'm not feeling optimistic about well... everyone on the roster from Andrew McCutchen to Garrett Jones right now, it doesn't take much for one to turn a .200 bating average into a .270+ batting average at this point in the season.
    You're full of yourself Kipper. You keep talkin' smack... How can you claim that scouts back your opinion? Have you talked to all of the scouts you blowhard? You can defend Aki and the Pirate scouts all you like but save the hollow BS.

    Criticizing the Aki trade does not mean I or anyone else "knew it was bad all along." It means the people who are paid to evaluate these things made a mistake. Look, I can use a rolly-eyes emticon too ->

    Iwamura has been awful so far. He may start to hit a little but he appears to be severely a and probably permanently hindered in the field.
    Last edited by tocchet92; May-03-2010 at 12:50 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •