Thread: Will We be Mixin With Dixon?

Threads : 440

Default Will We be Mixin With Dixon?

Will We be Mixin With Dixon?

By Harvey “Mr. Steeler” Aronson

Is Charlie Batch even in the discussion? By that meaning who fills in for Big Ben Roethlisberger until he returns from suspension. It appears that it boils down to either Byron Leftwich or Dennis Dixon. Batch is a serviceable option but I honestly believe he won’t stand a chance against the youth and mobility of Dixon or the cannon arm and heart and winning attitude of Leftwich. The coaching staff has a difficult decision to make given Dixon’s performance in a losing overtime effort against Baltimore last season. Looking back at Byron’s one game wearing Black and Gold against the Washington Redskins, he too was very impressive. But in Tampa last year he fell backwards big time. So who is the real Byron Leftwich? When he was wearing the black and teal of the Jacksonville Jaguars, he always played the Steelers tough. But he was run out of town there although in my opinion he got a bad rap. Many critics believe his slow delivery and slow feet make him not a very good qb. But I say, give him protection and a solid running game and the man can do damage. After all, he can wing it. But like in 2009, he now faces a quarterback competition against a young quarterback. Until he got hurt at the University of Oregon, Dennis Dixon was a hot commodity and a front-runner for the Heisman Trophy. Now it comes down to OTAs and this summer’s training camp to decide whom steps under center at Heinz Field in the season opener against the Atlanta Falcons. Hines Ward says it’s not a given that the veteran Leftwich wins the job:

“If he gets outside the pocket, he's more of a threat than anybody on our team. He's just as fast and explosive as a lot of defensive backs that probably wouldn't know how to attack him because they're not used to defending somebody like that. He does remind me of Kordell Stewart. You take a Vince Young, and you see the type of season he had toward the end of last year, and Dixon is really hitting all those molds. If he gets another opportunity, guys are going to compete for him. The interception (against Baltimore), the last-minute mistake, we can't fault him for that. He saw something he tried to take advantage of. Whoever they decide to be the starter, we'll move forward from there. He won over a lot of guys. You get named the starting quarterback the day before the game, going down to the lion's den in Baltimore - it's not an easy task for any quarterback. He held his own. We couldn't run certain plays because he didn't get all the proper reps he needed throughout the week - he only got 30 percent of the plays. That was the frustration with a lot of guys. Considering the circumstances, Dennis played his tail off. And he's getting better and better.'”

As for Dixon, he seems prepared.

“Seeing that was my first start, I wanted to put my team in the best situation. As things go along, yes, I want to go all out. I wouldn't say anyone is solidified as No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3. We're getting quality reps between all three of us and making the most of it.”

http://steelershotline.com/coverstory.html

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Will We be Mixin With Dixon?

Hey, what do we got to lose? Throw the kid in there. He looked good againts the Gayvens. But then again, he looked best on the run.

With that evidence, I'm sure BA will keep his *** snug in the pocket. ****ing Arians.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey, what do we got to lose?
    Games................

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Games................
    oh yeah. great point! lol

no but really, our star qb is out due to his suspension. Charlie ain't gonna get it done. I don/'t like Leftwich, so give Dixon a shot.

jmo as always
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information