Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Goligoski/Mckee Article

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_648702.html

Goligoski, McKee a formidable duo for Pens
    By Josh Yohe, Daily News Staff Writer
    Monday, October 19, 2009

One is young, one is a veteran.

One has significant offensive potential, one has never scored more than five goals in a season.

Penguins defensemen Alex Goligoski and Jay McKee have very little in common but are proving that opposites attract by quickly becoming a dynamic pairing.

Goligoski's plus-8 rating leads the team while McKee's plus-6 mark is good for second.

"Things have really fallen into place quickly for us," Goligoski said. "Jay's an easy guy to play with, and I feel like we've been clicking together pretty well."

Their styles couldn't be at more opposite ends of the spectrum.

Goligoski is a slick skater who likes to jump into rushes. McKee, meanwhile, is an understated veteran whose trademark is a unique ability and willingness to block shots.

"They are completely different hockey players," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said, "but they're making a nice pair right now. In the last three games especially, they have played very well."

McKee has been steady in the season's first eight games and was at his best Saturday against Tampa Bay when he blocked seven shots.

Goligoski couldn't believe what he was watching.

"He has a pretty incredible gift for blocking shots," he said. "You've got to respect that."

While McKee handles most of the dirty work in front of goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, Goligoski uses his wheels to a distinct advantage. The second-year defenseman has a goal and five assists so far and has turned many heads by his surprisingly strong play in the Penguins zone.

McKee suggested that his previous work with similar defensemen may be enhancing the duo's chemistry. In particular, McKee is reminded of Brian Campbell, the star defenseman who once was his linemate in Buffalo.

"The sky is the limit for Alex," McKee said. "I've really been very impressed with him. He's just got a ton of talent and you can see him getting better and better. I have played with guys like him before, and he's been easy to play with."

There was a significant amount of concern before the season that the Penguins would badly miss Rob Scuderi and Hal Gill, both of whom left via free agency this summer.

So far, however, the Penguins blue line actually has performed better than last season's.

Incidentally, Gill is a minus-4 in Montreal while Scuderi is a minus-3 in Los Angeles.

"I think we all feel good about how we're playing right now," Goligoski said. "I think, as a defense, we're all playing very well right now."

Sergei Gonchar, Brooks Orpik, Kris Letang and Marc Eaton have all played well this season. Those four, however, are proven commodities.

McKee and Goligoski entered the season a big question mark, but are quickly answering any concerns.

"Jay with his shot blocking and Alex with his skating ability," Bylsma said. "They've both been very good."

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Goligoski/Mckee Article

Unfortunately this article came out before Gonch got injured which means this pairing will break up but...

when it was together it was gelling really nice. McKee has been an excellent pick up. I remember him being someone that people really wanted us to pick up at the trade deadline a couple years ago and then in free agency. He's been a solid addition and has made losing Gill not even something anyone has thought about since McKee can actually skate

Goligoski has looked really good as well. Very confident, more poised... like the extra time in WBS did for him what was wanted like it did for Letang a season earlier.

Sucks seeing Gonchar go down but it's nice to know that we have 2 capable offensive defensemen on the defense instead of just 1 like a year ago when it was just Letang

Threads : 6

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Goligoski has looked really good as well. Very confident, more poised... like the extra time in WBS did for him what was wanted like it did for Letang a season earlier.
    Anyone else but me notice he's gone down a few times while skating laterally? I'm not sure what the problem is, but he's starting to look like Malkin. It's gonna bite him in the *** sooner or later.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    Anyone else but me notice he's gone down a few times while skating laterally? I'm not sure what the problem is, [HIGH-LIGHT]but he's starting to look like Malkin.[/HIGH-LIGHT] It's gonna bite him in the *** sooner or later.
    Wow...if he can only look more like the Con Smythe trophy winner.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 6

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Wow...if he can only look more like the Con Smythe trophy winner.
    Ah hell, you know what I meant...

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    Ah hell, you know what I meant...

Yeah...but had to say it
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information