Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sano Gets U.S. Visa

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Sano Gets U.S. Visa

Sports Illustrated is reporting that Mr. Sano has been issued a work visa to enter the U.S. I, for one, will be anxious to see how Sano may develop over the next few years. Still hoping that Gayo found a few gems in latin america this year. The article follows:

Top Dominican prospect Miguel Angel Sano cleared what could have been the most daunting obstacle in his path to the major leagues on Tuesday when the United States government issued him a work visa, SI.com has learned.

The work visa, usually a critical but secondary concern to talent and ability when signing international prospects, allows Sano to play baseball in the United States. The Minnesota Twins signed Sano, who played shorstop in the Dominican but could switch positions stateside, in September to a club-record $3.15 million signing bonus. According to some scouts, Sano possesses the best tools for a prospect in at least a decade.

While Sano's talent was abundant, so too were questions about his age and identity. His 6-foot-3, 190-pound frame and precocious skills on the field fueled questions about whether Sano was really the 16-year-old he claimed to be. Those concerns echoed louder when Major League Baseball, which conducts extensive investigations to help prevent teams from being defrauded, issued a report concluding that Sano's identity was verified but his age was "undetermined."

The Dominican Republic, particularly Sano's hometown in San Pedro de Macoris, has been the epicenter for age and identity fraud. Some players and their handlers cut years off their age in order to increase their market value. Most infamously, the Washington Nationals learned that Esmailyn Gonzalez, a supposed 16-year-old to whom they issued a club-record $1.4 million signing bonus in 2006, was actually four years older and named Carlos Daniel Alvarez Lugo.

The age and identity investigations done by Major League Baseball often serve as a road map for the United States consulate, the agency which issues the work visas players need to play stateside. MLB's age "undetermined" verdict, coupled with a post-9/11 crackdown by the United States government when issuing visas, made many teams nervous about signing Sano, particularly with his multimillion-dollar price tag. The doubts over his age caused many teams to withdraw from negotiations. [HIGH-LIGHT]"He lost over $1 million," said Rob Plummer, Sano's agent. [/HIGH-LIGHT]Plummer says the Baltimore Orioles, for example, backed out of the negotiations.

The Twins, however, stayed the course. "Because of all the speculation, everyone had some doubt [whether he'd get his visa]," said Mike Radcliff, Minnesota's vice president of player personnel. "I guess we just had fewer doubts."

The Twins, now knowing they can bring Sano to the U.S., will outline a player development plan. Radcliff says the Twins will bring him to the U.S. sometime next spring. The team, often cited as one of the best in developing young talent, is still hashing out its strategy for Sano. "The journey," Radcliff says, "is about to begin."

------------

Yeah... shut the **** up, Plummer. If you were really concerned about your client losing or making money you'd have contacted the Pirates like you had told Neal you would.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Sano Gets U.S. Visa

Not to be too forward...but about the topic.......................Good for Minnesota...I've moved on.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 197

One extremely under-reported consequence lost in Sano-mania is that the Pirates were the preferred destination of Nicaraguan 3B Cheslor Cuthbert, who most sources had as one of the top 10-15 players available this year. At one point Baseball Prospectus even reported that a deal was basically done for $750,000, but the Royals eventually came back with a significantly higher "final offer" at $1.2 million. The Pirates were given the chance to match it, but backed down because they were already planning on going well over budget on Sano. Of course at that point they had no reason to believe they weren't the favorites for Sano. Still, banking on Sano eventually signing proved costly on more than just the surface level. Part of the Pirates Latin American plan was to establish Nicaragua as one of their strongholds. Signing Cuthbert would have made pretty significant progress in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One extremely under-reported consequence lost in Sano-mania is that the Pirates were the preferred destination of Nicaraguan 3B Cheslor Cuthbert, who most sources had as one of the top 10-15 players available this year. At one point Baseball Prospectus even reported that a deal was basically done for $750,000, but the Royals eventually came back with a significantly higher "final offer" at $1.2 million. The Pirates were given the chance to match it, but backed down because they were already planning on going well over budget on Sano. Of course at that point they had no reason to believe they weren't the favorites for Sano. Still, banking on Sano eventually signing proved costly on more than just the surface level. Part of the Pirates Latin American plan was to establish Nicaragua as one of their strongholds. Signing Cuthbert would have made pretty significant progress in that regard.
    I didn't know that...thanks for the information.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I remember reading really briefly about our interest in Cuthbert but that disappeared quickly with all of the Sano talk.

Man, what a disaster this all was. If anything, hopefully, this was a learned from type of experience. Kind of sucks that all of those years of ignoring Latin America and the bigger name signings has cast the Pirates as basically amateurs or rookies with LA and the "How Do's"

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I remember reading really briefly about our interest in Cuthbert but that disappeared quickly with all of the Sano talk.

Man, what a disaster this all was. If anything, hopefully, this was a learned from type of experience. Kind of sucks that all of those years of ignoring Latin America and the bigger name signings has cast the Pirates as basically amateurs or rookies with LA and the "How Do's"
    I will admit it is a little disappointing that we had all that hype around the new academy and have yet to sign a major prospect from there. Its a little frustrating. I mean...I understand having a problem getting free agents up here b/c they all know we suck...isn't it Gayo's job to make the prospects think they will be playing for a professional team instead of a constant AAAA team? Dang.
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    I will admit it is a little disappointing that we had all that hype around the new academy and have yet to sign a major prospect from there. Its a little frustrating. I mean...I understand having a problem getting free agents up here b/c they all know we suck...isn't it Gayo's job to make the prospects think they will be playing for a professional team instead of a constant AAAA team? Dang.
    I don't think it had anything to do with the player thinking the Pirates were this or that. In the end it came down to some extremely strange negotiation tactics by an agent that ignored one team and granted another team in which he was close friends with a GM practically an exclusive chance.

I wouldn't doubt one bit that Plummer and the Twins GM had talked the entire time and this was a plan from the onset. They probably got together for a nice game of golf as they are rumored to play golf together and discussed how to get Sano in the Twins organization.

It's a conspiracy theory but with the way everything went down, it really wouldn't even shock me

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I don't think it had anything to do with the player thinking the Pirates were this or that. In the end it came down to some extremely strange negotiation tactics by an agent that ignored one team and granted another team in which he was close friends with a GM practically an exclusive chance.

I wouldn't doubt one bit that Plummer and the Twins GM had talked the entire time and this was a plan from the onset. They probably got together for a nice game of golf as they are rumored to play golf together and discussed how to get Sano in the Twins organization.

It's a conspiracy theory but with the way everything went down, it really wouldn't even shock me
    I was partly being sarcastic...but I do have to agree with you about how strange it is that it went down this way. From what the Pirates offered to what he signed for really wasn't a huge difference...and if the reports are true about how upset he was when he found out it WASN'T the Pirates who had signed him...you have to wonder if the kid was taken advantage of by an agent just looking to make some money...certainly didn't seem to have the kid's wishes at heart. Who knows...that could be wrong though.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 197

John Sickels ranked Sano as the Twins 10th best prospect
    http://www.minorleagueball.com/2009/...wins-prospects

So much inconsistency in these things. Wouldn't be surprised to see Baseball America or Baseball Prospectus rank him as high as 2.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We did sign Starling Marte, who was highly sought after as well. The Buccos will have success down there when NH figures out how the game is played. The new facility is proof of the Pirates commitment in the Dominican. Sano may or may not live up to the hype, but the Pirates will get their share out of the talent pool there.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    We did sign Starling Marte, who was highly sought after as well. The Buccos will have success down there when NH figures out how the game is played. The new facility is proof of the Pirates commitment in the Dominican. Sano may or may not live up to the hype, but the Pirates will get their share out of the talent pool there.
    We'd had Starling.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 22

I think the facility is one aspect down there that helps us play, but, like Steel said, I think it is just that NH and the boys need to figure out how to play the game better. And, we were up against what seems like a strange situation with Plummer and the Twins.

On the bright side - we were actually HAVING discussions about being in the mix for top talent. Very rarely did we even hear that in the past.

One step at a time forward is better than all steps backwards.

Threads : 45

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Not to be too forward...but about the topic.......................Good for Minnesota...I've moved on.
    I'll second that!

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I knew we had Marte, but now that we have a shiny new facility, we will sign more quality talent.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I knew we had Marte, but now that we have a shiny new facility, we will sign more quality talent.
    Hopefully. However, if Plummer represents a good amount of the elite talent we may have some issues.
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information