Thread: Bevy of LBs has Steelers' Butler beaming

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Bevy of LBs has Steelers' Butler beaming

Bevy of LBs has Steelers' Butler beaming
    By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010

[IMGL]http://i40.tinypic.com/szwnef.jpg[/IMGL]No one was happier with the Steelers' bounty from the recent NFL Draft than linebackers coach Keith Butler.

The Steelers selected three linebackers, including two outside 'backers Jason Worilds and Thaddeus Gibson among their top four selections.

"Glory hallelujah!'' Butler joked after the Steelers drafted Stevenson Sylvester in the fifth round, the third linebacker selected for Butler to coach.

Even before the draft, the Steelers were well-stocked at linebacker. There are veterans James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley and Andre Frazier on the outside, and James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote and Keyaron Fox inside.

But where the majority of those linebackers, with the exception of Timmons, are better known for their smarts and positioning on the field, Worilds, Gibson and Sylvester offer an element the Steelers have been lacking speed.

"Speed, but more than anything else he was fluid,'' Butler said in describing Worilds, whose 4.51 time in the 40-yard dash at Virginia Tech's pro day makes him the fastest outside linebacker on the Steelers' roster.

"He's a fast, fast-playing, aggressive, play-hard kid,'' Butler said about Stevenson, who's being asked to make the transition from college outside linebacker to inside 'backer in the pros.

Butler's ability to instruct and fit young linebackers into defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's complicated schemes ranks him among the league's top assistants.

"A lot of times guys like (Worilds) have played defensive end all these years (in college), and all they've done is put their hand on the ground and looked at offensive tackles and tight ends are not seeing the whole picture,'' said Butler, who joined the Steelers staff in 2003.

"The thing that's hardest for these guys is to adjust to formations and number counts we use in terms of how we cover receivers figuring out where they line up. The NFL is getting more creative with its formations, with all the unbalanced stuff. I think there's going to be even more of an emphasis to where you line up.''

Butler and coach Mike Tomlin previously worked together at Memphis in 1996, where Butler was the linebackers/defensive end/special teams coach and Tomlin was the defensive backs coach.

A linebacker with the Seattle Seahawks from 1978-87, where he still ranks second in franchise history in career tackles, Butler is viewed as more than a coach by his players because of his ability to relate to them.

It's what endears Butler to Farrior, a co-captain who makes the defensive calls.

"The thing about him is he was a ballplayer he played linebacker,'' Farrior said. "He usually knows why we make mistakes. He's able to relate on a totally different level than another coach would because he's been in every situation we've been in.''

Farrior said players were concerned when Butler received an opportunity in January to become the Miami Dolphins' defensive coordinator. Butler turned down the offer to remain with the Steelers.

"I was keeping up real close with that situation. It was going to be a big change for us. I know his ultimate goal is probably one day to be a head coach. We definitely didn't want him to leave, but we understood,'' Farrior said.

"We all work well together because he has a good understanding of everything that we're going through and everything that goes on on the football field. That gives us a different level of respect over a coach that didn't play the game.''

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_679538.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Bevy of LBs has Steelers' Butler beaming

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bevy of LBs has Steelers' Butler beaming
    By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Even before the draft, the Steelers were well-stocked at linebacker.
    Did we not bemoan the aging of Farrior and question the existence in the ranks of and solid replacement/backup? Just wondering if I woke up in the correct universe this morning.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 29

I like how they list Andre Frazier as part of our "well stocked" LB corp.

Threads : 413

Farrior said players were concerned when Butler received an opportunity in January to become the Miami Dolphins' defensive coordinator. Butler turned down the offer to remain with the Steelers.
    Say hello to Uncle Dick's replacement.

Wonder if Foote makes the team? Frazier most likely not. I can see Farrior sticking around for 1 more year if only to be a mentor. They really seem to like Worilds (he needs a nickname) and Stevenson, but there may be a period of learning the game at this level. Hope they catch on quicker that Timmons did.

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Say hello to Uncle Dick's replacement.

Wonder if Foote makes the team? Frazier most likely not. I can see Farrior sticking around for 1 more year if only to be a mentor. They really seem to like Worilds (he needs a nickname) and Stevenson, but there may be a period of learning the game at this level. Hope they catch on quicker that Timmons did.
    All

No need to thank me...

Papillon

Threads : 29

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    They really seem to like Worilds (he needs a nickname) and Stevenson, but there may be a period of learning the game at this level. Hope they catch on quicker that Timmons did.
    It takes all the LBs we've drafted a year to "get it". Or at least half a season. That's why they have to plan ahead so much with LBs.

Hopefully Worilds and Gibson can, at the minimum, help in pass rush situations this year. Keep Woodley and Harrison fresher. Them playing so many snaps last year did not help our 4th quarter pass D.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Keith Butler will make a nice DC for us one day, I can't wait to see how the LBer situation plays out. I really can't see Frazier on the roster coming out of camp or Bailey either. Jason "war of the" Worilds is going to be the next OLB stud.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information