Thread: Wheez Kids WS Bound!

sjdrewk

Default Wheez Kids WS Bound!

Phillies win tonight, they are back to back NL Champions! You are witnessing Phillies baseball in it's hey day. I have to go back to the early 80's before I can recall this franchise for anything remotely resembling this good of a Phils team. This current club is really good.

Phillies beat Dodgers 10-4, return to World Series
    By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer
    23 minutes ago
    Buzz up! 2
    Print
    PHILADELPHIA (AP)—Powered by Ryan Howard(notes), Jayson Werth(notes) and all those other big bats, the Philadelphia Phillies are headed back to the World Series.

Werth hit two home runs, Shane Victorino(notes) and Pedro Feliz(notes) also connected and the defending champions beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 10-4 in Game 5 on Wednesday night to win their second straight NL pennant.

Philadelphia Phillies pitcher …
    AP - Oct 21, 11:34 pm EDT
    1 of 76MLB Gallery
    Brad Lidge(notes) closed it out and the Phillies became the first team to reach consecutive World Series since the New York Yankees in 2000-01.

Now, Jimmy Rollins(notes) and crew wait for their next opponent. They’ll go for their third World Series title beginning next Wednesday night at New York or Los Angeles. The Yankees lead the Angels 3-1 in the ALCS, which resumes Thursday night at Angel Stadium.
    Last edited by sjdrewk; Oct-21-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wheez Kids WS Bound!

It seemed like the Dodgers peaked in late August and went downhill from there. If it wasn't for their large lead in the NL West, Colorado would have faced St.Louis and the Dodgers would have gone to Philly first.

It seemed like the Dodgers played uninspired ball in late September/early October. Whereas the Phillies are playing with a purpose and possibly peaking at the right time. If they play the Yankees (which they probably will), it should be one heck of a good series. Plus it will be on at reasonable times so we'll be able to watch the games.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seemed like the Dodgers peaked in late August and went downhill from there. If it wasn't for their large lead in the NL West, Colorado would have faced St.Louis and the Dodgers would have gone to Philly first.

It seemed like the Dodgers played uninspired ball in late September/early October. Whereas the Phillies are playing with a purpose and possibly peaking at the right time. If they play the Yankees (which they probably will), it should be one heck of a good series. Plus it will be on at reasonable times so we'll be able to watch the games.
    I can see where you're coming from. But I thought Philly was going to win this thing once the brought aboard Lee and Pedro Martinez. I always thought their offense was better than the Dogs so I guess people just looked at one thing, the Phils bullpen being a detriment and just went with that.

Threads : 5

I have to agree with you on that. Philly's offensive power is probably one of the best in the MLB this season. I was just wondering if the NLCS was in August, the Phillies would have caught the Dodgers around their peak. Would LA have won the series? Don't think they would have, but I think they would have at least made it more competitive.

sjdrewk

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    I have to agree with you on that. Philly's offensive power is probably one of the best in the MLB this season. I was just wondering if the NLCS was in August, the Phillies would have caught the Dodgers around their peak. Would LA have won the series? Don't think they would have, but I think they would have at least made it more competitive.
    That's a very good point. Sometimes teams peak way too early and just fizzle out. It would have been probably a series that went 7 ....I think Philly has a recipe to beat LA and just has their number right now.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Phillies have it all. Offense that can hit and hit for mucho power, strong starting rotation, strong bullpen.

Outside of a meltdown I cant see the Yankees beating them. I don't think the Yanks have the pitching

Threads : 27

Every time I see Jayson Werth's name I think to when we were offered him in a trade and DL said 'No.' 2005....Dave Williams for Jayson Werth. Yeah...glad that didn't happen.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    Every time I see Jayson Werth's name I think to when we were offered him in a trade and DL said 'No.' 2005....Dave Williams for Jayson Werth. Yeah...glad that didn't happen.
    Don't forget Littlefield turning down Ryan Howard too

Threads : 197

It's kind of funny how much the guys on that Phillies team who were developed by the Dodgers came back to hurt the Dodgers this year. That has to hurt.

Shane Victorino (who the Dodgers let go in the Rule 5 twice, had him offered back both times, and turned him down the second time) hits .368 with 2 HR, 1 3B, and 1 2B.

Jayson Werth (who the Dodgers completely gave up on due to injury shortly after trading a pretty decent reliever to get him) hits 3 HRs.

Pedro Martinez (who the Dodgers inexplicably traded for Delino DeSheilds at age 21) 2 hits them over 7 innings.

Probably extra sweet for Jayson Werth who also got to knock around Jim Tracy's Rockies the previous round.

Threads : 197

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Don't forget Littlefield turning down Ryan Howard too
    It's kind of weird when you consider how much luck was involved in constructing that Phillies offense. Not only did they try to give away Howard for Kris Benson, they also offered him and Madsen for Barry Zito. Somehow the Phillies were the ones offering those trades and were turned down both times. They got Victorino through the Rule 5, and decided not to carry him in the majors, but the Dodgers turned them down when they offered him back. They got to keep him in the minors, and didn't even have to work out a trade. Werth was a guy who the Dodgers had released at age 26 and came to Philadelphia on a 1 year $800,000 contract. I'm convinced that no GMs (at least not with either the Dodgers or the Phillies) actually know what they're doing. It seems like it's all luck.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information