Miroslav Satan BOS GP 9 5+5 = 10 points +5 - Salary = 0.7 Million$
    Mark Recchi BOS GP 9 4+3 = 7 points +3 - Salary = 1 Million$

VS

Alexei Ponikarovsky PIT GP 9 1+3 = 4 points -1 - Salary = 2.105 Million$
    Ruslan Fedotenko PIT GP 5 0+0 = 0 points -3 - Salary = 1.8 Million$

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ponikarovsky/Fedetenko Vs Satan/Recchi

I was thinking this same thing last night.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've liked Ray Shero's ability and mindset to fill 3rd and 4th lines, especially compared to Craig Patrick who thought 3rd and 4th lines should be guys not good enouugh to play on the top 2 lines (Christensen etc...) who lacked the 3rd and 4th line type of style and skill.

Outside of that though, Shero IMO hasn't been that stellar. You could go out there and read around on Al Gore's Internet and I'm willing to bet that a good 90% of Pens fans blindly support any decision and move that Ray shero makes. When we traded for Ponikarovsky Twitter lit up like a big gigantic "oral support" for Shero. Suddenly a player like Ponikarovsky who until he became a Pen was regarded by most as SOFF, lazy and not very productive, suddenly was a great pickup and what we needed. I mean, there was even excuses made up to throw Luca Caputi under the bus to justify the trade.

Look at what Ray Shero has done to fill in holes on the Top 2 lines ...

Nils Ekman
    Petr Sykora
    Miroslav Satan
    Alexei Ponikarovasky
    Ruslan Fedotenko
    Billy Guerin
    Chris Kunitz
    Ryan Malone (inherited)
    Michel Oullet (inherited)
    Mark Recchi (inherited)
    John LeClair (inherited) *cut very early into Shero's first season
    Colby Armstrong (inherited) *briefly play Top 6 under Shero
    Erik Christensen (inherited) *briefly played Top 6 under Shero
    Marian Hossa *good idea by Ray that went wrong 'cause HJossa is a dickbag

Sure, Shero's hands are tied by Crosby, Malkin and Fleury's contracts which are musts but we're talking about a guy (Ray shero) who has been dealiong prospects and picks yearly to improve the Top 6 winger issue and the above is the best that he has been able to do. I apologize if I'm not one to jump up and down with every move that Shero makes. His Top 6 construction since 2006-07 hasn't been impressive at all. It's more of a credit to Crosby and Malkin that they have been able to produce points wise the way they have yearly.

Of course there's the argument that "The Pens have gone to the Finals 2 years in a row and won a Stanley cup. Ray Shero is God". Tough to argue with success. Then again look at what he inherited...

Sidney Crosby (2005 draft | 1st Round)
    Evgeni Malkin (2004 draft | 1st Round)
    Maxime Talbot (2002 draft | LATE pick)
    Marc-Andre Fleury (2003 draft | 1st Round)
    Sergei Gonchar
    Kris Letang (2005 draft | 3rd Round)
    Alex Goligoski (2004 draft | 2nd Round)
    Brooks Orpik (2000 draft | 1st Round)
    Tyler Kennedy (2004 | 4th Round)
    Rob Scuderi (1998 | 5th Round)

That is 4 of 6 defenseman inherited. Ray Shero is responsible for the following on defense since 2006-07 ....

Jordan Leopold (trade)
    Mark Eaton
    Hal Gill
    Joel Kwiatkowski (trade)
    Daryl Sydor
    Phillipe Boucher

Ray Shero inherited a lot of really good talent. More talent than most GM's ever walk into. A lot of YOUNG talent that was going to get better. To his credit, Ray has done an excellent job yearly, creating 3rd and 4th lines which are very important to a team but he's done a **** poor job constructing the top 2 lines around Malkin and Crosby. He's also gotten rid of young talent that could be those plugs for those lines like a Luca Caputi or a guy that is already producing and one of the Islanders best scoring wingers - Matt Moulson
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 70

Satan was hardly visible and the Bruins were looking for a warm body winger...so every other team had a chance at him. Recchi looked washed up here. In watching them I still have to do a double take because they were floundering with their last stint with the Pens. Oh well

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Satan was hardly visible and the Bruins were looking for a warm body winger...so every other team had a chance at him. Recchi looked washed up here. In watching them I still have to do a double take because they were floundering with their last stint with the Pens. Oh well
    Sometimes it is all about scheme, style and team mates. Some guys gel better with certain players, some don't. some players excel in certain systems and schemes, some don't. I'm not sure exactly what the Bruins system and schemes are but they might just be what work for those guys skillset and abilities

Threads : 413

Speaking of which, I forget who they traded for when Andrew Ferrence left. Boy he's looked tough in the Bruins series.

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Speaking of which, I forget who they traded for when Andrew Ferrence left. Boy he's looked tough in the Bruins series.
    I wanna say that trade was in 2002 or 2003 by Craig Patrick. I don't remember what the condituional pick was, by Ference was traded to Calgary for a draft pick

Threads : 29

He should have never been traded.

Ancient history now but definitely not a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    He should have never been traded.

Ancient history now but definitely not a good move.
    I never particularly cared for Ference. Always thought he was SOFF. He has improved a lot as a Defenseman over the years, I'll give him that but at the time of when he was traded it was tough to gauge. the issue that could be taken up though is that Ference was practically given away. he had more talent than to be given away like he was

Threads : 34

I liked Ference, but he was an average defenseman on a below average team, so he looked a lot better than he was simply because everyone around him was horrible. However, I am still baffled by his trade, there really was no reason to get rid of him.

Ponikarovski...Sucks. I was kinda excited to get him because I thought he would mesh well with Geno and give Geno another russian speaking player to bond with, but Ponikarovski just plain blows, I don't think we will have to worry about him much longer though, he is most likely gone after the season.

Losing Caputi doesn't really bother me though, because he was never going to get a fair shot here...which brings up a bigger issue I have with Shero and this team...WHY aren't these prospects being given a chance to shine on the big club? IMO Nick Johnson should have been plugged in on Geno's line and just left there to sink or swim...He couldn't have been any worse than Fedotenko.
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Threads : 40

Quote Originally Posted by DrKnow View Post

Agree on both points, although I thought Satan really did well vs. the Caps last year, it would be hard to justify keeping him. Having gone down to the minors and come back showed me something because I always thought he was a "soft" player. As for Poni, he is my most major dissapointment. Sometimes he shows everything you want in a player and uses his size, other times he is invisable. Recchi expected to be on the powerplay with the Pens and did not produce and looked like he did not enjoy his return here. As for Fedetenko, I wish he wold turn it on like Talbot has, his play has been far less than expected and I really liked how Letestu played last game and if Staal returns I hope Fed's is back on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    Agree on both points, although I thought Satan really did well vs. the Caps last year, it would be hard to justify keeping him. Having gone down to the minors and come back showed me something because I always thought he was a "soft" player. As for Poni, he is my most major dissapointment. Sometimes he shows everything you want in a player and uses his size, other times he is invisable. Recchi expected to be on the powerplay with the Pens and did not produce and looked like he did not enjoy his return here. As for Fedetenko, I wish he wold turn it on like Talbot has, his play has been far less than expected and I really liked how Letestu played last game and if Staal returns I hope Fed's is back on the bench.
    Problem with Recchi is that he couldn't keep up with Sid. He lost quickness both with his feet and with his stick and was just too slow to keep up with Sid... Therrien absolutely refused to play Recchi on the 3rd line where be belonged to utilize his gritty forechecking game.

Recchi playing with another center that's not as quick or requires you to be quick, would work for Recchi

Threads : 29

In regards to Ference, IIRC it was mentioned mulitple times in print that someone (Brooks, Kehoe, etc........) within the organization at the time thought he was basically worthless. Thus the dumping of him.

I've officially given up on Poni. About 3 times last night he had chances to drive the net hard when Sid or Geno had the puck and just flat didn't. It appeared to me if he drove the net hard they could have fired a pass his way and maybe something happens but he just lazily hung about 10-12 feet from the goalie. F him.

As for Recchi, didn't he have some personality confict with Sid? I'm sure his lack of speed was a factor but he isn't any slower than Guerin.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Sometimes it is all about scheme, style and team mates. Some guys gel better with certain players, some don't. some players excel in certain systems and schemes, some don't. I'm not sure exactly what the Bruins system and schemes are but they might just be what work for those guys skillset and abilities
    I agree with ya Kip and will add that's there's more to hockey than scoring!

Sure... we expect more out of Poni and Feds!

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    Sure... we expect more out of Poni and Feds!
    I had my doubts about Feds in the playoffs, based on his regular season performance, and he's still a dud.

Poni just ****es my off. I thought the chance to play with Geno would really spark him. He doesn't seem like he gives a **** - and he's even a free agent after the season. That can't help his payday. What a ****ing waste of talent.

As for Recchi and Satan, they had outlived their usefulness here. I seem to recall no one cared when they were not retained. Satan didn't even have a job until January, so there you go.
    Last edited by Crosby Clan; May-08-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information