Thread: happy to have him back

Threads : 67
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default happy to have him back

Everybody's happy that Troy is back
    Wednesday, October 21, 2009

By BOB LABRIOLA
    Steelers.com
    After every Steelers game, there is always discussion about what happened and why, and sometimes those discussions involve differences of opinion. After the Steelers defeated the Browns last Sunday at Heinz Field, there was resounding agreement on one thing.

It was great to have Troy Polamalu back on the field.

Polamalu had missed four full games after spraining his knee in the first half of the Sept. 10 opener against the Tennessee Titans, and there was an undeniable impact on the Steelers defense.

Ranked No. 1 in the NFL in virtually every significant statistical category last season, the Steelers defense was a culprit in the come-from-ahead losses in Chicago and Cincinnati. But he was back on the field on Oct. 18 – about five calendar weeks after the injury – and the Steelers were happy to have him back.

“Troy [Polamalu] seems to be progressing relatively well in his march back to full participation,” said Coach Mike Tomlin during his Tuesday news conference. “I may limit him at the early portion of this week, but we just want to keep that arrow pointed up on his participation, specifically the quality of that. I like where we are in terms of getting him started, getting him back in the fold and getting out there and making plays for us. I want to keep that arrow moving up. I may exercise a little caution here at the beginning of the week in terms of his participation to make sure he’s ready to go for us on Sunday.”

Detailing Polamalu’s many contributions to the defense and the complications those pose for the opposing offense could get way too football-technical, but here’s a simple statistic that somewhat puts it into perspective:

The unit that drove its team to the Super Bowl last season by making big plays at critical times, including plays that directly put points on the scoreboard, had two interceptions through its first five games – and one of those, a spectacular one at that – was turned in by Polamalu in the opener before he was injured.

After the first game of his “march back to full participation,” Polamalu judged himself to be somewhat tentative, which Tomlin saw as a natural part of the process.

“I think everybody who plays this game at this level goes through some, ‘man vs. himself,’ battles in regards to being tentative, aggressive or cautious, particularly when your body’s betraying you at times,” said Tomlin. “That’s something that comes with this game, particularly in the National Football League. Troy Polamalu won’t be the only guy out there on the field with aches and pains and things that bother him physically during the course of the game, and all of those men will be making those judgments and decisions about whether to let their hair down or proceed with caution. That’s something that happens on every play, every weekend.”

What happened on one play during a Browns game that was still tied, 0-0, when it happened spoke volumes about Polamalu’s value.

The Browns were having some success with Joshua Cribbs running their version of the Wildcat and had moved into scoring position by utilizing it, when someone on the Cleveland sideline decided it was a good time to have Cribbs throw a pass from the formation. But Polamalu read Cribbs’ eyes, broke on the ball and made the interception that started a series of events ultimately ending in a 27-14 Steelers win.

The joy of that moment for Steelers fans quickly switched to apprehension when Polamalu stayed on the turf for a time in obvious pain, before getting up and hobbling to the sideline.

“What happened is that when he intercepted that ball down there in the red zone – good to have Troy Polamalu back by the way – he banged his knee on the ground,” said Tomlin. “So it’s really something separate and different from the injury he sustained weeks ago. That created a situation where he hobbled a little bit around for the rest of the day.”

And so the week of preparations begins for the undefeated Minnesota Vikings, who will be in town for a 1 p.m. game this Sunday at Heinz Field, and the Steelers will have their All-Pro safety one more week along in his comeback from injury.

“It wasn’t done with any mind in terms of the schedule,” said Tomlin. “When he was ready to go medically, we were going to allow him to go. We don’t put any more emphasis on this Minnesota Vikings game than we did on the Cleveland game a week ago. We don’t live in that world, we don’t approach it in that way. Every game’s a big game. This is the biggest game of the year for us because we’re staring at it. It’s Tuesday and it’s on Sunday, so we got all eyes pointed toward that opportunity.”

When the Steelers get there, they will have Polamalu with them.

“His presence is significant,” said Tomlin, “and we’re glad to have him back out there.”
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: happy to have him back

His presense definitely had a positive effect on the defense. The Psychological impact of Troy's return had a tremendous effect on me as a fan.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are some players that teams simply need to have from a psychological perspective...and Troy surely is that just as much as he is a physical presence.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

It makes a big difference on opposing teams too. Now they know that they have to plan for him again. He's a force to be reckoned with
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Agreed with the above comments.... BUT.... We all saw him come up gimpy after the pick last week, and he hasn't practiced at all this week.... I know I'm gonna catch flack for saying this, but it may be a decent idea to sit him... He'll get a bye next week, and be able to come back closer to full strength against Denver... We are gonna need him big-time for the second half of the season.... If he can't practice, he shouldn't play. What if it happens against Minn, and he can't recover?
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Don't most of the "veterans" sit out on Wednesday's? And I think he was just limited in practice but I could be wrong. But with that said I want a Troy thats 100% on the field. No need to risk a more serious injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't most of the "veterans" sit out on Wednesday's? And I think he was just limited in practice but I could be wrong. But with that said I want a Troy thats 100% on the field. No need to risk a more serious injury.
    If it was just Wednesday, then I may think differently, but I thought it has been all week... But I could be wrong (again).

... All I know is that I was cursing at the tv profusely when he hobbled off the field last week... I know he came back in, but I really wonder how effective he can be later in the year if not properly healed.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I get texts from NFL mobile everyday about who is practicing and who is not. The only day I got anything about Troy was Wednesday. But idk. We could both be wrong

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Agreed with the above comments.... BUT.... We all saw him come up gimpy after the pick last week, and he hasn't practiced at all this week.... I know I'm gonna catch flack for saying this, but it may be a decent idea to sit him... He'll get a bye next week, and be able to come back closer to full strength against Denver... We are gonna need him big-time for the second half of the season.... If he can't practice, he shouldn't play. What if it happens against Minn, and he can't recover?
    No offense,NKy,but that could happen in any game at any point in the season.What if it happened against Denver,or the Raiders,or the Gayvens??A loss is a loss no matter when it is.I say let the dude get out there to do what he does best and let the chips fall where they may.

Threads : 10

I'm with Nky on this one...

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    No offense,NKy,but that could happen in any game at any point in the season.What if it happened against Denver,or the Raiders,or the Gayvens??A loss is a loss no matter when it is.I say let the dude get out there to do what he does best and let the chips fall where they may.
    Yea, it could.... But it is more possible if it is still somewhat not "recovered", which is what I was getting at... While I want him in there against Minn, I would still sacrifice this game (him playing, that is) in order to have him for the 2nd half of the season with a stronger liklihood of being healthy.

Threads : 60

I don't know about sitting him but I would certainly limit his production. I would make the Vikings game plan for him and leave them guessing when he will be on the field. This will force Favre to look for him and it may also force him to change plays on the fly based on whether or not he will be out there. I think the confusion of him being there not being there might be enough for us to confuse the Vikings into some mistakes. To take him totally out of the game makes it easy on the Vikings.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    I agree with you about that man...let him play and we'll see what happens.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 58

Safety Troy Polamalu did not practice today for the second straight time as the Steelers prepare to play the unbeaten Minnesota Vikings Sunday.

Polamalu, who returned to play for the first time last Sunday since the opening game, declined to predict whether he will make his second straight start.

"I don't think it benefits anybody to not practice, but I think regarding injuries it's a benefit."

Polamalu's MCL in his left knee was sprained in the opener, causing him to miss four straight games. He injured it again Sunday playing against the Browns when his knee struck the ground, but coach Mike Tomlin indicated that would be no problem.

"I feel pretty good right now,'' Polamalu said.

Normally, players who do not practice by Friday do not play on Sunday for the Steelers.
    Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09295...#ixzz0UhPW4gTO

Threads : 48

Yea, it could.... But it is more possible if it is still somewhat not "recovered", which is what I was getting at... While I want him in there against Minn, I would still sacrifice this game (him playing, that is) in order to have him for the 2nd half of the season with a stronger liklihood of being healthy.
    Duely noted,but an injury can still happen at ANY TIME..................especially with Troy who has been known to be a tad injury prone.BesidesI don't think Troy would have even bothered to dress if he knew he wasn't in "game" condition.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information