Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default AFC North post-draft holes

Thursday, May 6, 2010
    AFC North post-draft holes
    By James Walker
    ESPN.com

Baltimore Ravens

Post-draft hole: Cornerback

Analysis: Unless the Ravens' brass knows for sure that cornerbacks Lardarius Webb and Fabian Washington will be ready for Week 1 following knee surgeries, the team may want to explore the free-agent market to see what's out there. If the season started today, Baltimore would be down to its fourth cornerback -- presumably Chris Carr -- in the starting lineup opposite Domonique Foxworth. The nickel and dime roles are even more uncertain. Players like Dre' Bly and Ken Lucas are still available. Perhaps Baltimore is biding its time for now. Because if just one of the Ravens' injured cornerbacks returned in time for training camp or the regular season, that would be a solid boost towards the secondary.

Cincinnati Bengals

Post-draft hole: Secondary depth

Analysis: One of the few weaknesses in Cincinnati's stout defense last season was defending slot receivers and tight ends over the middle. The nickel cornerback, in particular, was a problem area and the Bengals may have addressed that with third-round pick Brandon Ghee. Cincinnati also is in the process of working out a contract with controversial cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones, who is a former first-round pick that was out of football last year. Jones could be a wild card for Cincinnati if he gets his act together. The Bengals also have been looking at free-agent safeties like Ken Hamlin and Gibril Wilson.

Cleveland Browns

Post-draft hole: Wide receiver

Analysis: There are still various question marks on Cleveland's roster. But the biggest glaring need right now is at wide receiver. New team president Mike Holmgren and general manager Tom Heckert have been diligent to patch up certain areas on the roster. But the one spot the pair failed to really address was receiver, only drafting sixth-round pick Carlton Mitchell. Last year's second-round pick, Mohamed Massaquoi is the only (somewhat) proven commodity on the roster. The cupboard was extremely bare coming into the offseason, so it's understandable that everything couldn't be fixed in one year. But if veteran quarterback Jake Delhomme is going to have a bounce-back season, someone has to step up and catch his passes.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Pittsburgh Steelers

Post-draft hole: Quarterback

Analysis: This is somewhat of a trick answer. But through the first six games, quarterback will be the biggest weakness of the Steelers. Star quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will serve a conditional six-game suspension to start the season that could be reduced to four games. Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch will try to keep the team afloat in the meantime. Besides, perhaps, some depth issues at wide receiver, Pittsburgh doesn't have many holes on its 2010 roster. The front office did a solid job this offseason of patching up questions at offensive line (Maurkice Pouncey) and cornerback (Bryant McFadden).[/HIGH-LIGHT]

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: AFC North post-draft holes

Pre-draft there were so many holes, it's a bit tricky to evaluate still-extant gaps (especially prior to training camp).

CB and S seem to be positions that need reinforcement on a lot of team's rosters (either starters or back-ups). I guess we'll find out what the perceived progress of the additions is come the first round of cuts.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    CB and S seem to be positions that need reinforcement on a lot of team's rosters (either starters or back-ups). I guess we'll find out what the perceived progress of the additions is come the first round of cuts.
    Very true... It's suprising that Walker didn't mention this area with our squad... I guess he values the re-signing of McFadden as enough to counter our deficiencies last season.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 3263

Walker just posted this to his blog about 20 minutes ago... Not sure I agree with it at all...
    ----------------
    How I See It: AFC North Stock Watch
    May, 6, 2010
    By James Walker

Falling

Pittsburgh Steelers' WR depth: Just weeks after trading former starter Santonio Holmes, the Steelers suffered another blow to their depth at receiver when Limas Sweed tore his Achilles last weekend at veteran minicamp. Sweed, a backup who was due to compete for the third or fourth spot at receiver, had surgery as soon as possible. The team hasn't said for sure whether the former second-round pick will miss the entire 2010 season. But at the very least, Sweed will be absent for a significant portion of the year at a time when it seems the Steelers cannot catch a break. Without Holmes and Sweed, Pittsburgh cannot afford to suffer any additional injuries at wide receiver.

Rising

Adam "Pacman" Jones: Out of work in 2009, Jones has suddenly gained a buzz this offseason to where it appears the controversial free-agent cornerback is very close to making his return to the NFL. The Cincinnati Bengals are the favorites to sign Jones. Reportedly they are in contract negotiations with his representation this week. Cincinnati was the first team to invite Jones to a tryout in February and worked him out again Tuesday. The Bengals are searching for cornerback depth and, because of his off-field track record, Jones would be a cheap option. The Detroit Lions are also interested.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...stock-watch-24

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Without Holmes and Sweed, Pittsburgh cannot afford to suffer any additional injuries at wide receiver.
    Ward, Randle-El, Wallace, Emmanuel (if he works out and survives camp). I think I might detect a slight flaw in the chap's logic.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 277

I would have said DL and WR.

The Skins cut two "young veterans," WR Marko Mitchell (6'4" back up) and DT/DE Anthony Motgomery, 6'6" and 330, who might make decent backups for us.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information