Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing Well...

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Playing Well...

...and coming off a sweep of the Cubs.

Now we have another team we've been ****ty against. The snake to our mongoose, or is it the mongoose to our snake? I don't know animals, but it's bad.

The Cards roll in to town as one of the best teams in baseball.

My question, is it a good 'moral victory' if we simply take one out of three from them in the series?

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Playing Well...

Looks like the Cards rotation is going to be:
    ----------------W L ERA
    5/7-Carpenter---4 0 2.84
    5/8-Garcia------3 1 1.13
    5/9-TBD (I'm thinking Wainwright will be here since he last pitched in Philly on 5/4). If this is the case, Wainwright is 4-1 w/ 1.96 ERA.

We have:
    ----------------W L ERA
    5/7-Duke--------2 3 6.09
    5/8-Karstens-----0 1 6.17
    5/9-Malholm-----2 2 4.06

Malholm should give us his usual 4 runs for the game. It's up to our offense to help provide the help he needs. Duke is due for a decent outing. His last 2 games have over a 6+ ERA. Karstens, if he wants to remain as the 5th starter (with Burres' outing last night and Ohlendorf's return that might not be attainable).

Hopefully we can take the recent Cubs sweep and keep the offense going. If our offense produces runs, I think we should be able to take 2 games form them. However, I think realistically if we take one game.

On a side note, if we sweep the Cards, we're back over .500 and 1.5 GB the Cards.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, I mean personally I wouldn't be expecting to win a series against the Cards, so to take 1 of 3 is about right. Reality and logic shows that the Cards have the better, more experienced and mroe proven lineup.

but, there's 1 thing going into this series of interest..

1. The Cards are on a 3 game skid. Could we get lucky and catch them in the middle of a cold spell or are the Pirates just what the doctor ordered for the cards?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

Unfortunately the pitching matchups look like mismatches every day, but hey, so did yesterday's game. So far this year Jaime Garcia has gotten 65% groundballs. It's not even really out of line with what he did in the minors. He was up over 60% last year, and is right around 60% for his career. It's crazy. Maholm is a big ground ball guy and he usually sits around 53%.

For some reason Fangraphs has a little preview piece up that talks about the Pirates offense and gives the numbers on the St. Louis pitchers:
    http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...what-the-bucs/

Threads : 122

Our bats seem to be awaking a little bit. If we get decent starting pitching we got a shot against anyone on any given night. Just don't pitch to Pujols for heaven's sake. Dude mashes our pitching like its BP.

Another question....if Aki keeps hitting like a pile of dung.....do we put DY at 2nd again or do we stick with Aki until Pedro might be ready and move Andy to 2B?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our bats seem to be awaking a little bit. If we get decent starting pitching we got a shot against anyone on any given night. Just don't pitch to Pujols for heaven's sake. Dude mashes our pitching like its BP.

Another question....if Aki keeps hitting like a pile of dung.....do we put DY at 2nd again or do we stick with Aki until Pedro might be ready and move Andy to 2B?
    1. Delwyn Young as a starter can't hit either and his defense is far worse than Akinori's.
    2. They aren't moving Andy Laroche to 2B in the middle of a season. I'll have to see that to believe it.
    3. They will stick with Aki as they should considering we're only a little over month into the season. The guy has proven to be a good hitter his career and it's not like the organization makes knee-jerk reactions with vets who have bad starts to seasons (SeeaRoche,Andy).

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Need to take two and for God's sake knock Pujulous off the plate a few times or walk his *** everytime. The guy kills us no matter who pitches for us and has nearly a .400 average vs Pirates. Don't let him beat you. Carpenter has been pretty good against us to. If the only win one then hopefully they play close games.

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    1. Delwyn Young as a starter can't hit either and his defense is far worse than Akinori's.
    2. They aren't moving Andy Laroche to 2B in the middle of a season. I'll have to see that to believe it.
    3. They will stick with Aki as they should considering we're only a little over month into the season. The guy has proven to be a good hitter his career and it's not like the organization makes knee-jerk reactions with vets who have bad starts to seasons (SeeaRoche,Andy).
    Kip, don't you mean LaRoche's brother, Adam? He was notorius for having slow starts. He went almost 0 for XXX until they played the buccos, and then his bat woke up. With Andy's glove and a warmer bat than Iwamura, I'd hate to see LaRoche get the short end of the stick if/when Pedro gets called up. He is an upgrade? Probably not, but it seems that is what is being projected when Pedro gets called up.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    Kip, don't you mean LaRoche's brother, Adam? He was notorius for having slow starts. He went almost 0 for XXX until they played the buccos, and then his bat woke up. With Andy's glove and a warmer bat than Iwamura, I'd hate to see LaRoche get the short end of the stick if/when Pedro gets called up. He is an upgrade? Probably not, but it seems that is what is being projected when Pedro gets called up.
    Oops... yup... Meant Adam

The ONLY place it is being projected that Andy is going to definitely move to 2B is by a few Pirates fans 2 breaths short of having a stroke going into panic mode a month into the season. Neil Huntington isn't saying a thing about it, Kyle Starks isn't saying anything. There's not even been a mention of Pedro even coming up anytime soon...

Maybe it happens down the road. Akinori was signed as a short term solution so we didn't have to punch ourselves in the nuts watching Delwyn Young try to ground a ball and pivot to make a throw. I'd have to see it to believe it at this point (a move of Andy to 2B during the season)

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    Need to take two and for God's sake knock Pujulous off the plate a few times or walk his *** everytime. The guy kills us no matter who pitches for us and has nearly a .400 average vs Pirates. Don't let him beat you. Carpenter has been pretty good against us to. If the only win one then hopefully they play close games.
    Carpenter himself is going to be a reason we could lose. I'm not worried about Pujols when you can't generate runs. Carpenter is good. One day, I can't wait until we have that "ace" that you can reply on against any team

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post

I remember the Pirates last season seemed to have a some success against higher quality pitchers and struggle more against the journeyman. Maybe that can happen vs the Cards...

Unlike other guys such as Andy Laroche last season (and even Clement this season) Iwamura is not a prospect and is not a guy the Pirates just play to see if he will develop. He's already seeing some reduction in playing time. Crosby is the most likely one to replace him in the lineup, IMO. Neil Walker may be a possibility later in the season as well. I have not seen him play second but have read positive reviews.

Threads : 21

Andy himself said he is fine with a move to 2nd. He looks foward to the when Aleverez and him are in the same lineup. He played 2nd in the Fall League and in the Dogers farm system.

Aki is a rental player nothing more, he will be gone at the deadline the only question is will we get better return then Jessie Chavez or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
    Andy himself said he is fine with a move to 2nd. He looks foward to the when Aleverez and him are in the same lineup. He played 2nd in the Fall League and in the Dogers farm system.

Aki is a rental player nothing more, he will be gone at the deadline the only question is will we get better return then Jessie Chavez or not.
    Andy has always been fine with the notion of a move to 2nd. It's job security for him to be fine with it. Problem here is that there's not been a real serious move to get him working at 2B. Maybe they throw him into the wolves den like they did Delwyn last season. I'll have to see it to believe it.

It's also no guarantee Pedro comes up the first chance he's eligible and if it doesn't happen, the usual whiners are going to sound like sexless house wives . Pedro's defense and that .260 AVG. need to come up. no need to rush him.

Threads : 18

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Andy has always been fine with the notion of a move to 2nd. It's job security for him to be fine with it. Problem here is that there's not been a real serious move to get him working at 2B. Maybe they throw him into the wolves den like they did Delwyn last season. I'll have to see it to believe it.

It's also no guarantee Pedro comes up the first chance he's eligible and if it doesn't happen, the usual whiners are going to sound like sexless house wives . Pedro's defense and that .260 AVG. need to come up. no need to rush him.
    Pedro's not being promoted because BN's a cheap ****, 'nuff said!

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well, Pedro is hitting .260 so I don't see how you can say that. If he was dominating the league you could make that argument, but he's not so you can't.
    Even if he were, I'd want him in the minors to get the bucs an extra year of control. Other teams do it, it's hardly unique to the Pirates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information