Thread: Worth the wait

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Worth the wait

Worth the wait
    By Teresa Varley Steelers.com
    5-10-2010
    Posted 14 hours ago

The new NFL Draft format, going from two days to three days, meant just one thing to rookie running back Jonathan Dwyer. He would have to wait a bit longer than expected to find out where he would start his NFL career.

It was more stressful on my family than me, said Dwyer, who was taken in the sixth round. Some guys know whats going to happen when they go in. Me, I didnt know what was going to happen. I could have been gone the first day, the second day, but fortunately it was the third day.

While the wait was longer than he initially had hoped, it was certainly worthwhile.

Its kind of unreal. It just happens, said Dwyer. A lot of guys get worried, and then the call automatically comes. When I saw that 412 area code I didnt know who it was. I answered it, heard it was Coach (Mike) Tomlin and I was just ecstatic. Even though the situation I was in, where I slipped down into later rounds, I was going into a great opportunity with this organization.

Its a blessing to have the ability play this game at this high of a level. Guys dream of playing at this level. Living up to those dreams and going on to newer and bigger goals is a blessing from God.

Dwyer will have a lot of work ahead of him, coming from Georgia Tech where he played in a triple-option offense. His responsibilities in the Steelers offense will be different, where he will be asked to make reads and line up differently.

Hes like most running backs, said running backs coach Kirby Wilson. Hell have to learn the passing game and the protections and blitz pickups and things of that nature. Hes going to have to learn a two-point stance all over again. Hes been down for so long. I think I went back over a two-year span and hes got six snaps where hes lined up in an I-formation. So, its going to be relearning for him. Its like getting back on a bicycle and starting all over again.

He is ready to roll with it, though.

Thats all I have been doing since I was five years old, running the ball, said Dwyer. Thats all we did at Georgia Tech. I am in the mindset of being able to do it, I am excited and ready to compete and have some playing time.

To get that playing time, though, he knows he is going to have to prove himself to his coaches and others along the way.

I want to prove to everybody what I can do, said Dwyer. I just want to win games and win a championship. I won a college championship and now its an opportunity to win at the professional level. I am coming in excited, hungry and ready to compete and ready to give my best for this team and organization.

I am happy coming to a winning team. You dont want to go to a losing team. Not just me, but all of these guys that are here we are coming into a great situation, the fact that we are on a winning organization, every year we have the chance to play in the big game. Who wouldnt want to play in the big game?

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...d-746ed63d3ed7
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Worth the wait

I hope this kid can run with some power. I've really missed Bettis and how the power run game could control the clock when we had a lead. I think that's a big deal. Both resting the dee and limiting the other teams opportunities.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information