Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 47

Thread: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

      
  1. #1
    tocchet92's Avatar
    Status : tocchet92 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 138
    Last Online : Jul-14-2012 @ 11:09 AM

    Default Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    "BY TIM WILLIAMS ON 5/09/2010 COMMENT NOW
    With Ross Ohlendorf set to return from the disabled list tomorrow, the Pittsburgh Pirates had to make a choice between Brian Burres and Jeff Karstens for the final spot in the rotation. (Anyone remember about a month ago when they were choosing between Daniel McCutchen and Kevin Hart for the same role?) The Pirates today picked Burres to remain in the rotation, with Karstens going to the bullpen.

    Neither Burres nor Karstens is anything more than what you'd expect from a fifth starter, although both have been good in their time in the rotation this year, which made the decision somewhat complicated. Burres has three starts this year, with a 3.31 ERA, a 5.0 K/9, and a 1.0 K/BB ratio. The K/BB ratio is disappointing, as Burres is allowing too many walks, and benefitting from a high 75.8% strand rate. His FIP this season is 4.68, which is up from his 4.09 ERA on the season.

    Karstens meanwhile has a 4.08 ERA in his three starts, with a 5.6 K/9, and a 1.57 K/BB ratio. Karstens benefitted from an even luckier strand rate (78.5%), but had a 4.50 FIP, which ranks better than Burres. Most likely Burres will have about a month in the rotation until Brad Lincoln is ready, although Lincoln's 4.19 ERA at the AAA level, with a 6.6 K/9 and a 2.27 K/BB ratio, isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

    Since Ohlendorf will come off the disabled list tomorrow, the Pirates will have to clear a space for him. My guess is that Brian Bass will be sent down, especially with Karstens moving to the bullpen. There's no need to have Bass and Karstens in the pen, especially with D.J. Carrasco also available for multiple inning appearances. I don't think Burres' grip on the rotation is very secure, especially with the way Karstens pitched in his three starts. If Burres starts to struggle, I could see Karstens taking over right away."


    Read more: http://www.buccofans.com/#ixzz0nXchbcFX

  2. #2
    wvkeeper's Avatar
    Status : wvkeeper is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 17, 2009
    Location : Right There
    Posts : 1,367
    Threads : 158
    Last Online : Nov-03-2016 @ 07:14 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Did Karstens do something to someone? Dude gets passed over every time.

  3. #3
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "BY TIM WILLIAMS ON 5/09/2010 COMMENT NOW
    With Ross Ohlendorf set to return from the disabled list tomorrow, the Pittsburgh Pirates had to make a choice between Brian Burres and Jeff Karstens for the final spot in the rotation. (Anyone remember about a month ago when they were choosing between Daniel McCutchen and Kevin Hart for the same role?) The Pirates today picked Burres to remain in the rotation, with Karstens going to the bullpen.

    Neither Burres nor Karstens is anything more than what you'd expect from a fifth starter, although both have been good in their time in the rotation this year, which made the decision somewhat complicated. Burres has three starts this year, with a 3.31 ERA, a 5.0 K/9, and a 1.0 K/BB ratio. The K/BB ratio is disappointing, as Burres is allowing too many walks, and benefitting from a high 75.8% strand rate. His FIP this season is 4.68, which is up from his 4.09 ERA on the season.

    Karstens meanwhile has a 4.08 ERA in his three starts, with a 5.6 K/9, and a 1.57 K/BB ratio. Karstens benefitted from an even luckier strand rate (78.5%), but had a 4.50 FIP, which ranks better than Burres. Most likely Burres will have about a month in the rotation until Brad Lincoln is ready, although Lincoln's 4.19 ERA at the AAA level, with a 6.6 K/9 and a 2.27 K/BB ratio, isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

    Since Ohlendorf will come off the disabled list tomorrow, the Pirates will have to clear a space for him. My guess is that Brian Bass will be sent down, especially with Karstens moving to the bullpen. There's no need to have Bass and Karstens in the pen, especially with D.J. Carrasco also available for multiple inning appearances. I don't think Burres' grip on the rotation is very secure, especially with the way Karstens pitched in his three starts. If Burres starts to struggle, I could see Karstens taking over right away."

    All of the credible news and emdia sources had this going the other day.

    A lot of useless stats in there considering both pitchers mimmick each other with their numbers and style. Burress is just a little hotter right now with his string of shut out innings. You have to go with that hot hand while it's there
    Last edited by Kipper; May-10-2010 at 11:42 AM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  4. #4
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did Karstens do something to someone? Dude gets passed over every time.
    Not really Karstens has been given chances longer term and usually fails miserably. He's been good in spot shots like recently
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  5. #5
    tocchet92's Avatar
    Status : tocchet92 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 138
    Last Online : Jul-14-2012 @ 11:09 AM

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A lot of useless stats in there considering both pitchers mimmick each other with their numbers and style. Burress is just a little hotter right now with his string of shut out innings. You have to go with that hot hand while it's there
    Burress is a lefty...

  6. #6
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burress is a lefty...
    Doesn't matter
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  7. #7
    rbilak's Avatar
    Status : rbilak is offline
    Rank : Bench Warmer
    Join Date : Nov 24, 2009
    Location : Shreveport LA
    Posts : 299
    Threads : 40
    Last Online : Jul-17-2010 @ 10:52 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burress is a lefty...
    I think that (lefty) coupled with Karstens having pitched in relief before are a good reason. Look at least for once it is between two guys doing well and not the lesser of two evils. It beats the Virgil Vasquez option. Plus I think the competition keeps them producing.

  8. #8
    exNCite's Avatar
    Status : exNCite is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : Wall, New Jersey, United States
    Posts : 5,589
    Threads : 413
    Last Online : Jul-14-2017 @ 06:36 PM

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    But I thought that lefties were grossly overrated.

  9. #9
    tocchet92's Avatar
    Status : tocchet92 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 138
    Last Online : Jul-14-2012 @ 11:09 AM

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Doesn't matter
    You're wrong.

  10. #10
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're wrong.
    We have 2 righties and 2 lefties without figuring in a decision between Burres or Karstens.

    Burres has gone his last 2 games without giving up a single run.

    It's not complex or complicated
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  11. #11
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that (lefty) coupled with Karstens having pitched in relief before are a good reason. Look at least for once it is between two guys doing well and not the lesser of two evils. It beats the Virgil Vasquez option. Plus I think the competition keeps them producing.
    lefty has nothing to do with it. using this logic you'd think the lefty going into a righty dominate pen would make more sense.

    Burress is pitching the better between the 2. It's that simple
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  12. #12
    tocchet92's Avatar
    Status : tocchet92 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 138
    Last Online : Jul-14-2012 @ 11:09 AM

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have 2 righties and 2 lefties without figuring in a decision between Burres or Karstens.

    Burres has gone his last 2 games without giving up a single run.

    It's not complex or complicated
    In Major-League baseball, a successful LHP is a more valuable commodity than a successful RHP. It's not complex or complicated.

    That is a factor in why Burress gets first crack at this opportunity.

  13. #13
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Major-League baseball, a successful LHP is a more valuable commodity than a successful RHP. It's not complex or complicated.

    That is a factor in why Burress gets first crack at this opportunity.
    Burress has thrown 2 straight games of shutout ball, Karstens hasn't. They are sticking with the hotter hand regardless of what arm he throws from. Maybe in your world you want to complicate things more, but in the real world the hotter hand means the hotter hand.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


  14. #14
    tocchet92's Avatar
    Status : tocchet92 is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 19, 2009
    Posts : 1,383
    Threads : 138
    Last Online : Jul-14-2012 @ 11:09 AM

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Burress has thrown 2 straight games of shutout ball, Karstens hasn't. They are sticking with the hotter hand regardless of what arm he throws from. Maybe in your world you want to complicate things more, but in the real world the hotter hand means the hotter hand.

    In the real world a LHP is a more valuable commodity than a RHP. That may not be true on planet Kipper, but in the real world of major league baseball it is a well known, long-standing fact.

  15. #15
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Pirates Pick Burres over Karstens

    Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    In the real world a LHP is a more valuable commodity than a RHP. That may not be true on planet Kipper, but in the real world of major league baseball it is a well known, long-standing fact.
    If your team lacks left handed pitchers sure... you might weigh some of the lefty-righty decision there. For a #5 pitcher on a starting rotation already with 2 lefties, they are going with the arm doing the best right now out of the 2 which was Burres. They weren't looking at lefty or righty in this situation. In other situations like you mentioned? sure but this isn't a rotation building situation
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •