Thread: CSUF SS Christian Colon: This Year's Tony Sanchez?

Threads : 138

Default CSUF SS Christian Colon: This Year's Tony Sanchez?

"In Christian Colon's bio with Cal state Fullerton, he says that he models his game after that of Derek Jeter. After reading a good bit about Colon, I can see that there are some comparisons to be made there. While perhaps not near the prospect that Jeter is, he does have the same kind of skill set.

Colon was considered one of the top collegiate players in the country, until he broke his leg last summer playing for Team USA. Despite that broken leg, many still think rather highly of this shortstop.

Colon has many skills that old scouts would simply drool over. He has the baseball instincts at the plate and in the field. He has above average range in the field and many think that he can stick at shortstop in the pros.

At the plate he is a solid contact hitter, with some gap power that comes and goes. He will not blow anyone away with his power, but it is there. Mainly he is the more higher contact, get on base type of guy.

On the basepaths, he is not blazing fast, but is fast enough to be a threat. Again it is his baseball IQ that many point to when he is on the basepaths.

In the World Baseball Challenge last season for Team USA, Colon led the team in hitting at .362 and in home runs, with 5. For good measure he had 37 RBI as well. His performance made Baseball America name him the number two prospect on the US team.

Colon has been one of the premier shorstops in NCAA baseball the past few seasons. He has a very broad skill set that many would like to have on their team. He does many things well, but not one that jumps out at you. In all he is a very well rounded baseball player.

Sitting at second in the draft, the Pirates might look to Christian Colon as this year's Tony Sanchez. He is a safe pick with some upside, but not a ton. He probably would be a fast mover through the system if he were to be selected and could get to Pittsburgh quickly. If Huntington and Smith are again looking to a safe, quick prospect, that plays in the field, Colon will be their man."
    http://hyzduhq.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhpZ83ASj8E
    Last edited by tocchet92; May-11-2010 at 04:30 PM.

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: CSUF SS Christian Colon: This Year's Tony Sanchez?

I think Manny Machado is their guy. Don't mind if he is either.
    Still, thanks for posting this.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "In Christian Colon's bio with Cal state Fullerton, he says that he models his game after that of Derek Jeter. After reading a good bit about Colon, I can see that there are some comparisons to be made there. While perhaps not near the prospect that Jeter is, he does have the same kind of skill set.

Colon was considered one of the top collegiate players in the country, until he broke his leg last summer playing for Team USA. Despite that broken leg, many still think rather highly of this shortstop.

Colon has many skills that old scouts would simply drool over. He has the baseball instincts at the plate and in the field. He has above average range in the field and many think that he can stick at shortstop in the pros.

At the plate he is a solid contact hitter, with some gap power that comes and goes. He will not blow anyone away with his power, but it is there. Mainly he is the more higher contact, get on base type of guy.

On the basepaths, he is not blazing fast, but is fast enough to be a threat. Again it is his baseball IQ that many point to when he is on the basepaths.

In the World Baseball Challenge last season for Team USA, Colon led the team in hitting at .362 and in home runs, with 5. For good measure he had 37 RBI as well. His performance made Baseball America name him the number two prospect on the US team.

Colon has been one of the premier shorstops in NCAA baseball the past few seasons. He has a very broad skill set that many would like to have on their team. He does many things well, but not one that jumps out at you. In all he is a very well rounded baseball player.

Sitting at second in the draft, the Pirates might look to Christian Colon as this year's Tony Sanchez. He is a safe pick with some upside, but not a ton. He probably would be a fast mover through the system if he were to be selected and could get to Pittsburgh quickly. If Huntington and Smith are again looking to a safe, quick prospect, that plays in the field, Colon will be their man."
    http://hyzduhq.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhpZ83ASj8E
    If he shares the same skill set as Jeter that means he should win gold gloves despite having zero range?

Colon is likely a faster track guy but Machado IMO has the longer term upside. Both serve purposes.

Was Machado the guy Pfiv liked?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 197

Everyone always throws out the "This year's Tony Sanchez" label on just about everyone, but it's not realistic for most of them. Colon was very highly regarded coming into this year and was a disappointment early on, but really turned things around and is hitting for more power than he had previously. I'm sure if he's the #2 pick Boras will spend up until the last minute arguing about being paid like the #2 pick.

I wouldn't mind a fairly safe pick like this in round 1, but I'd really like to see them just take a chance on a position player in round 2. Some interesting guys could be out there. High school guys like Kris Bryant or Reggie Golden would be pretty interesting to me. Huge bust potential, but potentially huge impact bats.

I don't have the patience to wait for a HS player anymore even if Machado is the best player available.

I want a college, non-pitcher... I don't mind if we "reach" to get one.

One of Bryce Brentz, Zack Cox, Christian Colon, or Michael Choice works for me.

I don't have the patience to wait for a HS player anymore even if Machado is the best player available.

I want a college, non-pitcher... I don't mind if we "reach" to get one.

One of Bryce Brentz, Zack Cox, Christian Colon, or Michael Choice works for me.
    Sorry, I 120% disagree with you. I have the patience for a HS pitcher therefor I wouldn't mind them drafting one at all especially if he's the better long term talent.

If you don't have patience with this team and organization, it's time to find a new team the Pirates are all about Patience especially during a big *** rebuilding like this. Let's do **** right instead of rush jobs to please a fan bases impatience

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Sorry, I 120% disagree with you. I have the patience for a HS pitcher therefor I wouldn't mind them drafting one at all especially if he's the better long term talent.

If you don't have patience with this team and organization, it's time to find a new team the Pirates are all about Patience especially during a big *** rebuilding like this. Let's do **** right instead of rush jobs to please a fan bases impatience
    A HS pitcher? Really? After all the rants about the failure rates of the pitchers selected this high, I am surprised at this Kipper. I will also be surprised if Huntington opts for a pitcher, let alone a HS arm.

I could see NH picking Machado though.

Bryce Brentz, Zack Cox, Christian Colon, or Michael Choice... That's my story and I'm sticking to it (unless there are some other college positions players that come on the radar)
    Last edited by tocchet92; May-13-2010 at 02:57 PM.

A HS pitcher? Really? After all the rants about the failure rates of the pitchers selected this high, I am surprised at this Kipper. I will also be surprised if Huntington opts for a pitcher, let alone a HS arm.

I could see NH picking Machado though.
    I like HS pitchers actually mainly because most arm issues from pitchers come from coaches in College that abuse them. HS arms aren't abused yet most times. It's that arm abuse that kills potential pitchers down the road so if I had a choice between the 2, 'd take a HS pitcher every day of the week over a College pitcher.

I'm with you in that I'm most likely taking the best bat that's not Harper at #2 but my point was that I have problems with drafting a Highschool guy because you have to wait longer.

Threads : 197

Keith Law's projected top 5 picks:

Nationals - Bryce Harper C/OF
    Pirates - Manny Machado SS
    Orioles - Jameson Taillon RHP
    Royals - Yasmani Grandal C or Chris Sale LHP
    Indians - Drew Pomeranz LHP

Early on he had the Pirates with Pomeranz, but he seems to think they've eased off there.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Keith Law's projected top 5 picks:

Nationals - Bryce Harper C/OF
    Pirates - Manny Machado SS
    Orioles - Jameson Taillon RHP
    Royals - Yasmani Grandal C or Chris Sale LHP
    Indians - Drew Pomeranz LHP

Early on he had the Pirates with Pomeranz, but he seems to think they've eased off there.
    I can really see Huntington going with Machado like tocchet said. Out of all of those guys, Machado is the only one I can see him going with.

Here's a Baseball America page with picks by position.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...10/269936.html

Machado is going to be an overslot guy. How much is anyone
    s guess. He's given a verbal committment to a college

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information