Thread: Hank Blalock

onemanrevival

Default Hank Blalock

Hey guys!

OK, I am throwing out an idea. If Hank Blalock decides that in the next week to kill his deal with the Rays, do the Pirates pursue him?

The biggest negatives surrounding this move are the following two items. First, he is a Boras client. Dealing with Boras almost always means that he will try to get more money than Blalock deserves at first glance. The second factor is that Pedro Alvarez is knocking on the door at Indy.

The biggest positives are based on a few items I've read here this morning. The first is that Andy Laroche is moveable. We could move him to second and rest Iwamura to give him time to lose that 25 pounds and regain confidence in his range and motion. Also, we could end the farce that is Jeff Clement and put him on the bench. This would put Blalock at third and Laroche at either second or first or leave Laroche at third and put Blalock at first until Pedro comes up, then move Laroche to second then.

So do we go after Hank or do we let him pass?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Hank Blalock

I highly doubt it. Actually, I completely doubt it. Blalock is pretty much a 3B and with Pedro in AAA and Andy LaRoche not exactly hitting poorly (better than Blalock) I can't see the Pirates wasting a player/prospect to acquire a guy like Blalock
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 21

Well if the Rays dont call him up by next week, he can opt out and become a fA again. We could get him for free.
    We could bite the bullet and waive Aki we can afford it cause he has no trade value anyway.

Threads : 18

Didn't everyone agree that Matt Capps had no trade value at the end of last season?

Go ask now if it was ok to 'just release' him.

Ok if someone is willing to give a pack of gum for a guy who has 2 hits in his last 30 ab. He has bad knees and little range plus he cost 4 mill, I would take it.

I dount think anyone gives us something for him, I think he is just like Vaquez and Frank will have to eat the money. he has no business having the 2nd most Ab for us. i wish they would IR him.

Threads : 138

Here is what Dejan had to say about Aki and his trade "value":

"There are exactly 29 general managers who would not take on Iwamura’s $4.85 million salary after having even a cursory glance at how he is performing offensively or defensively. Thus, you would be looking at either a benching or a release. With Matt Morris and Ramon Vazquez, this management team has shown that it prefers to just remove the player altogether to a benching or reduced role.

But again, that’s one-seventh of the payroll. And if one adds Iwamura’s money to Ramon Vazquez’s, now we’re talking about $7 million down the drain. That’s one-fifth of the payroll."
    http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-walker-vs-aki

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by onemanrevival View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey guys!

OK, I am throwing out an idea. If Hank Blalock decides that in the next week to kill his deal with the Rays, do the Pirates pursue him?
    For me, losing with declining veterans that have no future with the team is more painful than losing with the unproven guys.

Signing Blaylock is like bringing in Jeremy Burnitz, Joe Randa, Will Cordero etc. They were serviceable players but really had no purpose in our lineup. We can lose without 'em and (hopefully) build for the future with the guys we have.

Hank is till 28 so we could sign him for a couple of years.
    Alverez is the 3rd baseman of the futyre and i think andy gets moved to 2nd. Jones can still Rf and Hank could play 1st for a couple of years.

Tabata is good enough to take over LF. He is a ounger morgan

Threads : 158

I hear Chris Stynes is available.

Threads : 3

It runs counter to the plan (more of a DL move). I say no way in hell. As others have mentioned, lets lose with prospects instead of with washed up has-beens.

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here is what Dejan had to say about Aki and his trade "value":

"There are exactly 29 general managers who would not take on Iwamura’s $4.85 million salary after having even a cursory glance at how he is performing offensively or defensively. Thus, you would be looking at either a benching or a release. With Matt Morris and Ramon Vazquez, this management team has shown that it prefers to just remove the player altogether to a benching or reduced role.

But again, that’s one-seventh of the payroll. And if one adds Iwamura’s money to Ramon Vazquez’s, now we’re talking about $7 million down the drain. That’s one-fifth of the payroll."
    http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...-walker-vs-aki
    That's an interesting quote... add in the money that we had to pay to get rid of Hinske and Snell (I swear we had to eat some of Snell's contract) and ... Huntington has eaten a lot of money in his short stint. The Bob Nutting conspiracy theorists could use this as a reason for why Huntington hasn't gotten his contract extension... he's eating Bob's money
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 215

..........Let's see.......Cutch, Ledge, Jaramillo, LaRoche, Young, Karstens all could be contributors to a winning team......yeah, maybe some others. This Pirate ship has sunk again!

I did buy 4 decent Pirates jerseys at wally world......and a pens too!

What could Hank improve on this team?
    Last edited by CROSSBONES; May-14-2010 at 02:01 PM.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information