Thread: Can the Pens Please Start Playing Physical!!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Can the Pens Please Start Playing Physical!!

This really started to annoy me heavily in the last game against Montreal but it's something I've complained about all series...

Can the Pens start HITTING?

This isn't about winning the Hits battle either. It doesn't really matter who wins, it's the amount that matters most. When you play physical you are creating time and space on the forecheck, you are forcing the opponent out of position even if it's for a second or two, that's all you need to feed a pass for a shot. There are so many benefits to playing a tight checking, physical game. It's half of the reason why a team like Washington continues to fail in the playoffs. You also don't want to be too physical because you start looking for hits and then you are the one getting drawn out of position. That's a good reason why a team like Philadelphia continues to fail in the playoffs.

[IMGL]http://i42.tinypic.com/1z3qqgx.jpg[/IMGL]Montreal has found a way to effectively shut down Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin. Some can question whether it's blatant interference/clutch and grabbing on Montreal's behalf but the bottom line is that it's continued this entire series and isn't going to stop so you need to find ways to be successful while dealing with those issues. When you shut down Sid and Geno, you shut down the Top 2 lines since Billy Guerin and Kris Kunitz are more role guys, not control guys. Malkin has seen both wingers he had logged a lot of time with in Ruslan Fedotenko and Alexei Ponikarovsky find themselves riding the pine. It's not difficult to shut down the 2nd line once you get Geno out of the way.

[IMGR]http://i41.tinypic.com/24zhwrl.jpg[/IMGR]One of the problems with the Pens in this series is that Montreal is allowing quantity of shots, not quality of shots and are keeping the Pens pegged to the perimeter while collapsing into a tight box around Halak. What the Pens are doing very little of are getting pucks deep and playing real physical on the forecheck, playing real physical in the Neutral zone to open up the transition game into the Habs zone. By playing Soff the Pens have played right into Montreal's game plan and preferred style. It's why they were effective in stopping Washington.

This isn't to suggest that we substitute the word "Physical" with "Aggressive". There's that fine line there were too much aggressiveness can hurt you more than benefit you. We've seen guys like Orpik and Letang get a little too aggressive along the boards and end up chasing. there's just been no excuse for the Penguins to be playing this unphysical against a Montreal team that lacks anyone that is physical. The Pens should be physically dominating and intimidating Montreal and they aren't.

Here's a look at the Hits per game...

Compare that to the Series against Ottawa...

Against Ottawa who was a more physical team, the Pens averaged 42 Hits per game. Against Montreal the Pens are averaging 30.3 Hits per game. A difference of 12 hits per game. That's completely unacceptable. Just because Ottawa was a more physical team doesn't mean that you have to play down to Montreal's physical standard or lack-of.

It's Game 7. All is on the line against a team that should've been eliminated in 5 games at the most. It's time for the Pens to lay the boom physically and send Montreal to the Golf Course bruised and battered after Game 7 in the Igloo
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Can the Pens Please Start Playing Physical!!

The Problem is with Hitting Guys, It takes a toll on the Hitter too!!Both guys involved in the hit take Punishment !! & I think that the Pens are emotionally & Mentally Tired, Even more so than Physically tired, They just can't up that physical game every game !!

Threads : 2

I think maybe they thought all they had to do was finesse them. But with the stifling d and hot goalie, it hasn't worked.

I'd love for them to come out tonight and hit everything in sight, certainly for the first period, and set the tone.

Threads : 2

I dunno. I feel like this is nitpicking.

When it comes down to it, if Halak doesn't get hot and Letang doesn't give the Habs 2 goals...we've already won this series.

Threads : 206

Little, fast guys are hard to hit!

Thats my opinion!

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Cammalari must go down and go down hard. Same thing with P.K. Suppan who Verus shows every 5 seconds. Hard to do in a game 7, but they should have had the **** knocked out of them early. I want to see a classic Cooke hit on both of them. We need a repeat of Orpik just taking out every one who touches the puck. Tonight we have the last change, please put somebody on "Wayne" Cammalari. Please. Oh and Gogo's new name should be "fumblestick". I have never seen a guy have so many problems settling down a puck. Never been a fan as to me he is too small and can't handle the puck. Watch tonight how many times he can't shoot or has to settle the puck down. He even admitted in Montreal that the game there seemed faster.

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

The problem is that we can't seem to stop Subban from successfully rushing the puck with reasons you stated above. And the second thing is what rbilak said about Cammalleri. This guy is not big, but he's allowed space with the puck. We need to get physical on him and make him pay for every play he makes. They virtually have no scorers beyond Cammalleri and Gionta. And look at them. We have to clamp down and start playing Penguins hockey. A successful forecheck, their penalties and the important last change will benefit us IF we can make good on the forecheck. That has to be key against a team that knows how to defend. Get them tired, get them scrambling.

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Xterratu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is that we can't seem to stop Subban from successfully rushing the puck with reasons you stated above. And the second thing is what rbilak said about Cammalleri. This guy is not big, but he's allowed space with the puck. We need to get physical on him and make him pay for every play he makes. They virtually have no scorers beyond Cammalleri and Gionta. And look at them. We have to clamp down and start playing Penguins hockey. A successful forecheck, their penalties and the important last change will benefit us IF we can make good on the forecheck. That has to be key against a team that knows how to defend. Get them tired, get them scrambling.
    I say throw the puck in on his side and have Rupp and Cooke pound him into the boards. I agree throw Gomez in with Camm and Gionta and we should be able to shut them down easily. Even grabbing the lead doesn't seem to help us. MAF must be on top of his game tonight, no ****ty goals. Hopefully we don't hit ten posts tonight either.

Quote Originally Posted by Evilpens View Post
    The Problem is with Hitting Guys, It takes a toll on the Hitter too!!Both guys involved in the hit take Punishment !! & I think that the Pens are emotionally & Mentally Tired, Even more so than Physically tired, They just can't up that physical game every game !!
    I'm not asking for 53 hits per game... but if you find a putrid 20-30 hits per game acceptable, that's your opinion. That's cool. 20 hits in a game to me is way too low and that's about where we have been in a few games with Montreal

Quote Originally Posted by russwbeck View Post
    I dunno. I feel like this is nitpicking.

When it comes down to it, if Halak doesn't get hot and Letang doesn't give the Habs 2 goals...we've already won this series.
    If only everything were that simple

Quote Originally Posted by Xterratu View Post
    There it is!

You get physical with some of these runts and they are now thinking before they react. When you play them soff, they are reacting with ease because you are allowing them to. we're making it easy on them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information