Thread: Your the GM

Threads : 21

Default Your the GM

Breaking News:
    After a disappointing exit in the Second Round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs, the Pittsburgh Penguins announce the resignation of General Manager Ray Shero, who will be replaced by YOU. You have your work cut out for you. The salary cap for the next season is approximately $57.7million dollars. Currently we have 45.1 Million dollars locked up in the core.

1) We need you to resign any unrestricted free agents that you feel will help the team win the cup next year.
    We have 14 Ufa's this offseason, between the NHL and the AHL clubs. It's your choice who we keep.
    Ufa's: Bill Guerin, Ruslan Fedotenko, Matt Cooke, Alexei Ponikarovsky, Ryan Bayda, Sergei Gonchar, Mark Eaton, Jordan Leopold, Jay McKee, Ben Lovejoy, Deryk Engelland, and Chris Lee.

2) We need you to sign other free agents from across the league on July 1st.
    Here are some helpful lists for reference. Please disregard the rankings and only sign players who will help this team out and fill a need.
    UFA Forwards: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=28144
    UFA Dman: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=28177
    RFA Forwards: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=28264

3) Also, feel free to make any trades or any other legal transactions to help gear up this team for its next run to the cup and remember, try to keep this realistic with years and numbers included.

Thank You and Good Luck.

Default Re: Your the GM

We need more defensive defensemen.

We need to upgrade on the wings. Just at first, I'd think about dealing Tyler Kennedy + a pick/prospect to Chicago for Patrick Sharp. Chicago needs cheap players next year. We need to upgrade on the wings. Sharp is a tremendous PKer and on the PP and gives 100%. He'd probably pot 30+ with Sid. LW would be set with Sharp, Kunitz, Cooke...

I'd look at making a deal with Edmonton for Gilbert Brule and sticking him with Sid as his RWer. Not sure what Edmonton would want. Brule is a RFA this offseason. Not sure what he's going to make either (likely around $2m-$2.5m). He gives 110% hustle and has a great shot. He got the crap end of the stick as a high prospect for the BJ's and Hitchcock almost killed his career.

Forwards

First line: Sharp - Sid - Brule

This may or may not be popular but I'll base it on Shero's tendency to bring in veterans. Shero signs Owen Nolan to a 1 year deal for something like $1.5m.

Second line: Kunitz - Malkin - Nolan

The third line will consist of current Penguins and the re-signing of Cooke.

Third line: Cooke - Staal - Dupuis/Talbot

The Pens 4th line will consist of current Penguins and possibly bringing up Tangradi. If you don't bring Tangradi up, keep Rupp as the 4th line LW.

Fourth line: Tangradi/Rupp - Adams - Dupuis/Talbot

Sharp: $3.9m
    Sid: $8.7m
    Brule: $2m
    Kunitz: $3.725m
    Malkin: $8.7m
    Nolan: $1.5m
    Cooke: $1.2m
    Staal: $4m
    Dupuis: $1.4m
    Talbot: $1.050m
    Rupp: $.825k
    Adams: $.550k
    Tangradi: $.846k (may not be needed though and may stay in the minors)

At this point, we've spent $37.55m on the forwards (without Tangradi). $38.396 with Tangradi. For the sake of the cap and the team, we'll likely start the season without Tangradi and may use him as a call up here and there.

With the Pens having guys like Nolan/Rupp on the team, I deal Godard for a pick to someone who wants an enforcer. No need to tie up almost $1m per season for a guy who won't even play a playoff game for us. Tangradi can come up and replace him if we need someone big in a pinch.

Defensemen

Offer Eaton $2m.

Deal a mid-level prospect or mid-round pick to Minnesota for Greg Zanon. Time for Shero to call in a favor from Fletcher. Zanon blocks a ton of shots and plays solid D.

Sign Engelland as the 7th d-man.

Letang: $3.5m
    Orpik: $3.75m
    Goligoski: $1.833m
    Eaton: $2m
    Zanon: $1.933m
    Lovejoy: $.600k (Hard to say what he's going to get since he's a Group 4 UFA)
    Engelland: $.600k

Defensive Pairing #1:

Orpik - Letang

Defensive Pairing #2:

Zanon/Eaton - Goligoski

Defensive Pairing #3:

Zanon/Eaton - Lovejoy

Engelland as the 7th d-man

At this point, we've spent $14.216 on the defensemen.

Forwards + Defensemen: $51.766

Goaltenders: Fleury ($5m), Johnson (.600k) - $5.6m

Total: $57.366 with a few hundred grand leftover for callups.

Shero and Botterill have their work cut out for them

Regardless, I upgrade the wings to fit Bylsma and Shero type teams. Guys that are hard to play against and give 110%. Sharp and Staal on the PK would just be sick nasty. The Pens don't miss a beat by dealing Kennedy and have Dupuis/Talbot to step right in. The Pens get their wiley old man in Owen Nolan, who is more Gary Roberts like than Guerin was. Nolan signs with us on the cheap so he gets a shot at the cup and plays along Malkin. Malkin now has a guy that can keep up with him in Kunitz to play along his side and clear space for him.

Looks like we can't afford Volchenkov (Wah). I just hope Washington doesn't get him but I have a feeling that's where he's going to end up.
    Gonch - it's been a real pleasure knowing you. Thanks for all the memories. I'm sure you'll do well in Columbus next season as their #1 defenseman.

That's what I got for now guys...

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Zannon? No Thanks. He's 30 and locked in long term. His value is nowhere near what we'd have to trade to get him.

Eaton @ $2 million still? Hell no

Kennedy and any of our prospects isn't getting Sharp who is locked up for a reasonable $3.9 million through 2010

Instead of continuiing on with Ray Shero's failure of trading prospects for guys like Zanon and Ponikarovsky and pipe dreams of landing Sharp... anyone have any idea what the Free Agency list looks like or have one?
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Here are some helpful lists for reference. Please disregard the rankings and only sign players who will help this team out and fill a need.

The Black hawks are in cap hell next year they need cheap players.

Eaton and or Leopold should be brought back.
    I would love to get Andy Sutton as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Zannon? No Thanks. He's 30 and locked in long term. His value is nowhere near what we'd have to trade to get him.

Eaton @ $2 million still? Hell no

Kennedy and any of our prospects isn't getting Sharp who is locked up for a reasonable $3.9 million through 2010

Instead of continuiing on with Ray Shero's failure of trading prospects for guys like Zanon and Ponikarovsky and pipe dreams of landing Sharp... anyone have any idea what the Free Agency list looks like or have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
    Awesome!

Thanks.

That's what we all need to be locking at. Combine that with Hockey Buzz's Caop Central since the better cap site (Nhl Numbers) seems to have some sort of virus on it) and get ideas to throw around (that Shero likely won't pick...lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
    The Black hawks are in cap hell next year they need cheap players.

Eaton and or Leopold should be brought back.
    I would love to get Andy Sutton as well.
    Eaton and Leopold stink. Neither are good at anything and with Goligoski and perhaps Lovejoy you need better than 2 guys that aren't strong defensively like Leopold and Eaton. That will be a collosal waste of 4 million between those 2. they aren't the type of defensemen we need, not for that money

Andy Sutton is a big dumb, slow, liability. He's the opposite of what we or any team needs. I didn't want him or Hannon a couple years ago when hafl of the Pens fan base wanted him and don't want him now. Sutton stinks. He stunk in that series against us.

Sutton is going to make at least $3 million next year. I'd kick Ray Shero straight in the ****ing nuts if he signed a pylon like Sutton at that price or anything more than around $1.5 (the value of a bum like Sutton)

Threads : 35

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Eaton and Leopold stink[/HIGH-LIGHT]. Neither are good at anything and with Goligoski and perhaps Lovejoy you need better than 2 guys that aren't strong defensively like Leopold and Eaton. That will be a collosal waste of 4 million between those 2. they aren't the type of defensemen we need, not for that money

Andy Sutton is a big dumb, slow, liability. He's the opposite of what we or any team needs. I didn't want him or Hannon a couple years ago when hafl of the Pens fan base wanted him and don't want him now. Sutton stinks. He stunk in that series against us.

Sutton is going to make at least $3 million next year. I'd kick Ray Shero straight in the ****ing nuts if he signed a pylon like Sutton at that price or anything more than around $1.5 (the value of a bum like Sutton)
    But yet McKee kept ridin the pine pony and he was a lot better to have instead of them out there, could of really used him this series IMO
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 77
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

You don't do this:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...de-Malkin.html

I just had a good enough meal and am about ready to hit the toilet. Needed a good boost

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have Now Heard that Short Bus Window Licking Retard Interviewed twice on 93.7 The Fan in Pgh. & either this Guy is the Typical Canuck who HATES Russians or He HATES the Pens!! He Argued on whether or NOT Geno was one of the 5 Best Players in the League UMMM Didn't Geno win the Scoring Title & wasn't He Named Conn Smythe Trophy award winner ??? & then Said that a retard who texted Moron Starkey & Seibel about Trading Gneo to Buffalo for Vanek & Tyler Myers & Laughed & said that is a "Fantasy Trade" I don't Want Vanek !!!!! 7 Mill for a TURD ?? NO THANKS !!!! Myers Now there is a Starting Point

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information