Thread: Final Thoughts

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Final Thoughts

1. MAF is Waaaay too inconsistent to be paid "elite" goaltender money, no matter how much hot air the organization and its minion reporters blow up our asses about him.

2. Dan Bylsma - I don't know what his demeanor is in the locker room, but if it is the same as it is on the bench, then he needs to show some more emotion. This team came out flat in the biggest game of the year...that is unacceptable.

3. Gonchar appeared to quit after the 2nd Montreal goal, and it was pretty obvious. Unfortunately that will be how I remember him...See ya later Gonch.

4. Malkin HAS to be hurt. Otherwise, I fear that he has developed some very bad habits off the ice. Malkin was getting beat to pucks all year long, and it was never more apparent than last night. I don't remember him being this SLOW last year.

5. Ponikarovski Sucks

6. There isn't a top 6 winger on this team.

7. at some point, you HAVE to give Sid and Geno each a linemate who can maximize their skills. You can only do so much with dead weight on your lines.

8. Jordan Staal may be the best 3rd line center to ever play the game, but this team needs to SCORE, and we can't do that with guys like Chris Kunitz and alex Ponikarovski on our top 2 lines. Sid and Geno can only create so much, but without a finisher on their lines it is all for nothing.

9. If you are going to create a defense filled with offensive minded players and puck movers, you better have guys on your top 2 lines who can outscore the other team every night, because you can't win a defensive game with a soft defense like we have.

10. Sid- I blame Sid and Bylsma equally for this team coming out flat. Also, Sid should have been able to put this team on his back to beat the Canadiens...Malkin did it last year, this should have been Sid's coming out year, and he choked...let's hope this doesn't become a habit.

11. I said it before the series started that I was nervous about playing a Hot team with tons of momentum and a hot goaltender...Does this Montreal team remind anyone else of the '96 Florida Panthers.

Have a great summer everyone, Go Buccos!!!!!!!
    The only player in the NHL more overpaid than MAF is Jordan Staal

Default Re: Final Thoughts

Oh, one more thing...I think Malkin's future might need to be at winger. He can't win faceoffs, and if there is nothign wrong with him, and he is as slow as he showed us last night, then Center might not be the best spot for him.

ps- it pains me to say this, because Malkin is my favorite player...at least he was, I may need to revisit that thought after this year.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Along with thread and others, there's too many "emotional: posts and beliefs and other things going around now. That's normal. We were just booted from the playoffs by a team who isn't really that good.

'Tis why I'm with holding any of these threads of picking apart individuals on an entire team that was booted because they are generally more emotional than rational and I don't want to be editing my **** left and right .

I'll say this though... this entire team wasn't good enough. Not a player on this team played up to their potential. I don't care what players do in the Regular Season. I watched a bunch of Pens teams during the 90's look great in the Regular Season until they had to provide the "extra" and strap on their helmet. Washington is probably much of the same in this era/generation. Whatever your accomplishments are in the Regular Season if you can't perform to those same standards in the Playoffs then . That is a for Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin, Marc-Andre Fleury, Sergei Gonchar, Jordan Staal, Kris Letang, Alex Goligoski, Kris Kunitz, Billy Guerin, Alexei Ponikarovsky ....
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

nah, not emotional, Ive been thinking this for a long time...most of these thoughts I have been harping on on these boards for a long time.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by BGK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thats what sucks...It has been nice having the season go into the second week of June. It made the dogs days of summer shorter. The Succos blow chunks and offer no hope. At least the Pens/Steelers offer fans hope. Steeler camps starts in August, the Pens in September.

It will be interesting for the Pens to see who stays/goes and who is signed. They still have a solid young core and give hope for the Fans. This earlier than expected exit from the playoffs hurts but is not like the Islanders in 93 or the Steelers losing to the Chargers at the end of the 94 season.

Lets Go Pens!

Well, at least they won't have the excuse of a "short" offseason next year.

I agree, the loss to the Islanders in '93 was more devastating than this loss. That team should have EASILY won the Cup that year. I didnt have much hope for this Penguins team this year, they just werent playing very good hockey this season. Although I do admit to thinking it was possible when the Craps and Devils lost.

Threads : 29

Although I do admit to thinking it was possible when the Craps and Devils lost.
    That's what got my hopes up. I honestly thought we would cruise into the finals with who was left. Wasn't real confident we'd beat the west entry but thought we'd win the east.

We stunk last night but we had leads in all 3 other losses. Whether is be shaky goaltending, bad turnovers, or missed scoring opportunities this thing should have NEVER went to game 7. Game 4 really grinds my gears.

Threads : 2
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

1. MAF is Waaaay too inconsistent to be paid "elite" goaltender money, no matter how much hot air the organization and its minion reporters blow up our asses about him.

Agree. You want elite status, play like it. Consistently.

2. Dan Bylsma - I don't know what his demeanor is in the locker room, but if it is the same as it is on the bench, then he needs to show some more emotion. This team came out flat in the biggest game of the year...that is unacceptable.

He does seem Tomlinesque, and it's starting to scare me. I'm also starting to question his strategy, or lack thereof.

3. Gonchar appeared to quit after the 2nd Montreal goal, and it was pretty obvious. Unfortunately that will be how I remember him...See ya later Gonch.

Yep.

4. Malkin HAS to be hurt. Otherwise, I fear that he has developed some very bad habits off the ice. Malkin was getting beat to pucks all year long, and it was never more apparent than last night. I don't remember him being this SLOW last year.

He seems to have lost his fire, like a few others.

5. Ponikarovski Sucks

Oh yeah.

6. There isn't a top 6 winger on this team.

Nope.

7. at some point, you HAVE to give Sid and Geno each a linemate who can maximize their skills. You can only do so much with dead weight on your lines.

A major problem, imo.

8. Jordan Staal may be the best 3rd line center to ever play the game, but this team needs to SCORE, and we can't do that with guys like Chris Kunitz and alex Ponikarovski on our top 2 lines. Sid and Geno can only create so much, but without a finisher on their lines it is all for nothing.

Letestu might be a good fit, for a lot less money.

9. If you are going to create a defense filled with offensive minded players and puck movers, you better have guys on your top 2 lines who can outscore the other team every night, because you can't win a defensive game with a soft defense like we have.

We need at least one guy that can play solid d, and I'd like to see two.

10. Sid- I blame Sid and Bylsma equally for this team coming out flat. Also, Sid should have been able to put this team on his back to beat the Canadiens...Malkin did it last year, this should have been Sid's coming out year, and he choked...let's hope this doesn't become a habit.

I really feel the number of games played the last three years, including the Olympics, caught up to them, especially Sid, Geno, Gonch, Orpik and MAF. They looked flat-out tired.

11. I said it before the series started that I was nervous about playing a Hot team with tons of momentum and a hot goaltender...Does this Montreal team remind anyone else of the '96 Florida Panthers.

No. Their slipper will fall off shortly, if not the next round then against San Jose or Chicago. They're simply not a good team, and that's not sour grapes. That's the sad part - losing to these pretenders.

Last edited by Crosby Clan; May-13-2010 at 12:33 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information