Thread: Smizik

Threads : 215

Default Smizik

I used to disagree with most of his opinions. His observations today are good.

Do the Pirates wait until they are 15 games under, before they adjust the roster? Or is this it?

The pitchers have been blown out, but so have the batters and the few baserunners!

So far Iwamura is a typical, washed up Pirates desparate move. Jones/Clement is not better than LaRoche, just cheaper. I will read the Walker thread after I type this.

Someone has to hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trade Doumit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Threads : 21

Default Re: Smizik

jones is beeing pitched around almost every game. He would be more effective if someone was hitting behind him.

Duke more than likley will be traded, teams like the Philles and Dogers could use a cheap innings eater.

This year was a flux year anyway. Pre June was plugs guys in and hope for the best. Post june is about watching Alverez,Tabata,Walker,Lincoln and seeing how they devolpe.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I used to disagree with most of his opinions. His observations today are good.

Do the Pirates wait until they are 15 games under, before they adjust the roster? Or is this it?

The pitchers have been blown out, but so have the batters and the few baserunners!

So far Iwamura is a typical, washed up Pirates desparate move. Jones/Clement is not better than LaRoche, just cheaper. I will read the Walker thread after I type this.

Someone has to hit!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Trade Doumit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Some of the pitching (SP at least) has been getting better. Burres, Ohlendorf and Morton all had decent recent starts. Maholm pitched like we should expect him to (around a 4+ era and 1.4+ WHIP). Duke had a stinker the last game out... Pitching seems to be alright.

Hitting isn't working right now, but 15 games under, 6games under, 25 games under... doesn't matter to me. this team wasn't going to sniff .500, compete for a division or make the playoffs. Some of these young struggling guys need more of a chance, (time) to prove themselves before bringing in the next set of young unproven and inexperienced players who will likely struggle too
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Hittman View Post
    jones is beeing pitched around almost every game. He would be more effective if someone was hitting behind him.

He would be more effective if he wasn't hitting .235 with just 4 HR's a month and a half into the season. Don't blame others for Jones' inability to hit near how he did last season thusfar. He's slowly hitting himself out of a starting role at his age if he doesn't bringing that BA up quickly and start hitting some balls over the wall.

The guys that hit around him (Doumit and McCutchen) both have higher batting averages with McCutchen sharing the same number of HR's and Doumit with 3. Seems like Garrett Jones is the problem

Duke more than likley will be traded, teams like the Philles and Dogers could use a cheap innings eater.

Or not. Have to see it first to believe it. It's not out of the realm that one of Duke or Maholm goes, but it's far from definite that duke will definitely be the one gone

This year was a flux year anyway. Pre June was plugs guys in and hope for the best. Post june is about watching Alverez,Tabata,Walker,Lincoln and seeing how they devolpe.

Neil Walker who everyone wanted to run out of town for being a bust last year? Boy, hindsight is great. This season has nothing to do with Neil Walker and the MLB roster. He's a future utility player.

Threads : 158

I cannot believe people are still bringing up Jermaine Dye in the comments section.

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    I cannot believe people are still bringing up Jermaine Dye in the comments section.
    That's why I avoid comments sections of any blog attached to a media site. It's where the stupid flocks to

Threads : 36

I read some of those blogs. They are an absolute joke. I actually don't know who is worse the posters or Smizik.

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    I read some of those blogs. They are an absolute joke. I actually don't know who is worse the posters or Smizik.
    They're a match... thats for sure

Neil Walker who everyone wanted to run out of town for being a bust last year? Boy, hindsight is great. This season has nothing to do with Neil Walker and the MLB roster. He's a future utility player.

Well, he looks good now! I read that Pearce is hurt. Give him a shot. Iwamura has stunk up the joint worse than our version of early season Adam LaRoche.

That's why I avoid comments sections of any blog attached to a media site. It's where the stupid flocks to.

I generally do the same, but have been known to comment on occasion. Smizik is an opinion writer. Some will like that, others will hate it. I like the local flavor and opinions that he writes, without being a homer.
    Last edited by CROSSBONES; May-15-2010 at 04:14 PM.

Threads : 0

Yeah, Smizik serves a purpose. While his niche is as narrow as his view, I think he does a valuable service in Pittsburgh by reminding everyone of a very basic fact that many seem to have forgotten: namely, that the goal in professional sports is to win championships. Period. All other considerations, important though they may be, are secondary.

Because of the long term economic distress in and around Pittsburgh, and because of the threat (however real it was or was not) connected with that economic distress that the Pirates might actually leave the city, many fans and even media types have been loathe to criticize the team and its actual performance on the field over the past 18 years. Smizik, to his credit, was never in that camp.

So, while he says some things that really aren't that well-informed, and while his perspective is monotonous at times, in my view he's still an important voice in the Pittsburgh media who is making an important point.

Well, he looks good now! I read that Pearce is hurt. Give him a shot. Iwamura has stunk up the joint worse than our version of early season Adam LaRoche.

That's why I avoid comments sections of any blog attached to a media site. It's where the stupid flocks to.

I generally do the same, but have been known to comment on occasion. Smizik is an opinion writer. Some will like that, others will hate it. I like the local flavor and opinions that he writes, without being a homer.
    If and when Neil Walker gets called him he'll get called up to play 2B where he's spent most of his time recently defensively at Indy. Steve Pearce and Jeff clement have nothing to do with Neil Walker and Pearce has been playing since he had that little injury anyways.

Smzik is a moron. 100%. The guy serves no purpose except to make others look smarter because his opinion is garbage. That someone pays that blistering bag of anal puss money to spew forth unintelligent, uneducated, half retarded opinions is a shame. Not that Smizik is the first person in any form of media that's being paid to create a reaction and not provide anything resembling intellect. The guy is a Grade A ******bag and one of the reasons why Pittsburgh sports media is so **** awful. Trash like him, Cook, Collier representing a proud, deep and historic sports city like Pittsburgh is like a kick in the nuts to every single fan of a Pittsburgh sports team. We deserve better as fans, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    If and when Neil Walker gets called him he'll get called up to play 2B where he's spent most of his time recently defensively at Indy. Steve Pearce and Jeff clement have nothing to do with Neil Walker and Pearce has been playing since he had that little injury anyways.

Smzik is a moron. 100%. The guy serves no purpose except to make others look smarter because his opinion is garbage. That someone pays that blistering bag of anal puss money to spew forth unintelligent, uneducated, half retarded opinions is a shame. Not that Smizik is the first person in any form of media that's being paid to create a reaction and not provide anything resembling intellect. The guy is a Grade A ******bag and one of the reasons why Pittsburgh sports media is so **** awful. Trash like him, Cook, Collier representing a proud, deep and historic sports city like Pittsburgh is like a kick in the nuts to every single fan of a Pittsburgh sports team. We deserve better as fans, much better.
    Who do you consider better? I liked Ellis Cannon and even liked the Thor guy when he didn't yell like an idiot. Rocco is good.....I can't get used to the new guys at The Fan. If I'm working where I can listen to the radio, the station is too repetitive, they talk over each other and don't seem to be creative. All are hard to overcome on straight talk. Look at the non sports talk show host to see what I mean.

This could be a good poll.

Steve Pearce and Jeff clement have nothing to do with Neil Walker

With the other players available, it would be a matter of roster space.

Clement has shown signs of hitting lately, but should have been sent down for a while, Pearce can be replaced by many ( I still have hope that he does well), so can Iwamura. I would bring Walker up while he's hitting. There are many interchangeable pieces. There are many things to look at, until the next guys come up, ya gotta see who's gonna stick.

Steve Pearce and Jeff clement have nothing to do with Neil Walker

With the other players available, it would be a matter of roster space.

Clement has shown signs of hitting lately, but should have been sent down for a while, Pearce can be replaced by many ( I still have hope that he does well), so can Iwamura. I would bring Walker up while he's hitting. There are many interchangeable pieces. There are many things to look at, until the next guys come up, ya gotta see who's gonna stick.
    That's a good point with regards to roster space but I would try to move someone else first if room definitely needs to be cleared. If Walker were a sure thing prospect like McCutchen, Alvarez etc... getting called up, then I'm getting rid of a logjam of bench infielders in which case Iwamura goes. Walker is far from being that.

Personally I'd demote Pearce right now. I think he's got 1 option left (same with Clement) but with all of the work Clement is doing with Don Long, I'd choose him to stay. We don't need 2 backup 1B's.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information