Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Prospect: Jeff Clement's swing

Threads : 197

Default Project Prospect: Jeff Clement's swing

As part of their look back at the 2005 draft class (Justin Upton, Ryan Zimmermann, Ryan Braun, Ricky Romero, Troy Tulowitzki, Mike Pelfrey, Andrew McCutchen, and Jay Bruce in the top 12 picks) Project Prospect looked at the MLB struggles of #2 and #3 overall picks Alex Gordon and Jeff Clement. Their Clement article focuses on the issues with his swing and how they're contributing to his struggles. Total nerd alert through much of it, but it has some good GIFs to explain everything and a comparison with the swing of Brian Roberts. The summary of everything comes at the end here:

Roberts is the very definition of "hips and hands", while Clement is of the "hips, shoulders, chest, arms, and exaggerated upper body twist" mold. One is extremely efficient, one takes a much longer time to execute. Since Roberts is a "hips and hands hitter", he does a much better job of staying square to the plate and maintaining true angles to the ball and hitting zone than Clement. Since Clement coils up around behind him, his body's movements and the laws of physics and kinesiology force him to uncoil/unload in a long, slow, grooved plane.

Conclusions

Jeff Clement's swing length and reliance on his big muscles to power his swing helped him dominate pitching less advanced than his talent and make him the No. 3 overall pick in 2005, but it has ended up hurting his ability to translate his tremendous raw power consistently at the Major League level. Clement is simply lacking the quickness and efficiency needed to succeed at the game's highest level.

If he can learn to do less with the big muscles and more with the small muscles along with keeping his barrel in a good launch position, Clement would be a far more consistent hitter. Or at least one with a far more consistent swing plane. Should Clement adjust his rhythm into timing, his ability to adjust at the plate would be improved even more. Then he would be able to unleash his huge raw power on a consistent basis. The strength and power is there to hit 30+ home runs, but it's the technique that is holding him back right now.

http://projectprospect.com/article/2...-draft-part-ii

It's an interesting piece. I wonder if this is something he can fix. It seems like coaching staffs should have been working with him on this for years now, but it's also possible they were blinded by success at the lower levels, or that he just hasn't been able to change.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Project Prospect: Jeff Clement's swing

Well.... we know that Don Long is spending a lot of time with Clement right now re-tooling that swing. whether it's this or something along the lines of this, it'll be interesting to see the results. Granted, mechanical overhauls generally don't show their results asap
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 215

Line drive home run!

Threads : 122

Shouldn't totally revamping your swing something that should be done at AAA, where he should be, which some of us thought before the season started? Obviously they saw his ****ty swing last year in AAA, so come up with a gameplan on the adjustments and let him work on it down there.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mr Pittsburgh........my sentiments exactly!

Did anyone catch the segment on FSN by any chance where they discussed (I guess) with Clement or the coaches his swing and what they have been doing with it? I caught like the last 2 seconds of it and since it weas on FSN the video probably isn't available anywhere, so I was just wondering if anyone caught it and what was said/explained.

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did anyone catch the segment on FSN by any chance where they discussed (I guess) with Clement or the coaches his swing and what they have been doing with it? I caught like the last 2 seconds of it and since it weas on FSN the video probably isn't available anywhere, so I was just wondering if anyone caught it and what was said/explained.

Last I recall hearing from a couple weeks ago was that one thing they were working on is him reducing the pickup of his front foot in his stride.

As far as Clement in general, I'd much rather win/lose with him at first then Pearce. We've given Pearce a legit long look, Clement has not had that.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Last I recall hearing from a couple weeks ago was that one thing they were working on is him reducing the pickup of his front foot in his stride.

As far as Clement in general, I'd much rather win/lose with him at first then Pearce. We've given Pearce a legit long look, Clement has not had that.
    Pearce is proven garbage. I'm with you. I'm done with him. He's a bench guy and nothing more.

I do remember the part about his foot. I think they were discussing that during a game? They said that the leg lift slowed his swing and jacked up his hips or something like that (just trying to think of what too much of a leg lift or early of a leg lift can do to a swing)..

There qwas something just recently though, within the past week, maybe during the Cubs series where they talked about Clement's swing and I think they had Clement discussing what they had been working on and the major overhaul.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I didn't see it. I did hear him on the radio postgame show Saturday after he hit the HR off Marmol for a minute, but I missed most of it. The part I heard he mentioned that he's seen video of a lot of the good left handed hitters around the league and none of them have the busy upper body he does in their swings. It kind of sounded like he was mentioning some of the same things mentioned in the article, but I tuned in late just as they were wrapping up.

I don't know. I've never been a Pearce fan, and I did like Clement, but looking at the two players I don't know if it's fair to say Pearce got a chance and Clement didn't. Pearce has a total of 399 plate appearances, with the most in any one season being 186 last year. Clement has 343 plate appearances with the most in any one season being 224 in 2008. Total MLB lines for the 2 players:

Steve Pearce: .231/.303/.382 (.685 OPS 81 OPS+)
    Jeff Clement: .225/.289/.379 (.669 OPS 78 OPS+)

It's a pretty similar amount of time and a pretty similar line for both players. Hard to say one has been given a chance and proven he sucks and the other hasn't.

I don't know. I've never been a Pearce fan, and I did like Clement, but looking at the two players I don't know if it's fair to say Pearce got a chance and Clement didn't. Pearce has a total of 399 plate appearances, with the most in any one season being 186 last year. Clement has 343 plate appearances with the most in any one season being 224 in 2008. Total MLB lines for the 2 players:

It's a pretty similar amount of time and a pretty similar line for both players. Hard to say one has been given a chance and proven he sucks and the other hasn't.

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post

Yeah but Pearce's were all last year for the club he would be a possible starter (should he perform) for (the Pirates). Clement's were 2 years ago for a team in the American League.

I guess more to the point is that Pearce was given a chance by the Pirates and hasn't done well. I'd like to see what Clement (who has the better pedigree) can do with the Pirates, not what he did in the past for the Mariners.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post

Personal;ly you could probably throw out any of the AB's with Seattle since Huntington is going to evaluate him only with what he's done at since he's been GM rather than rely on any statistical information gathered from a stint with the Mariners a couple years back... Same thign can be said about Pearce. You could probably ignore what Pearce did in 2007 at the MLB since Huntington wasn't here to evaluate him and Huntington has already sort of touched on how it was a mistake for him to use any of the prior regime's scouting information (Snell's contract being one)

Threads : 277

I don't watch Pirate games (living out odf town and refusing to spend the money for the MLB package) but saw two games on WGN over the weekend.

At bat, Clement looks the part but I saw him swing at three ankle high pitches in a row and strike out, I wondered about his "sense of the plate" and pitch location.

I did a fast math test and it looks like he is striking out in about a third of the outs he makes, along with his sub .200 or so average.

He should be in Indy and replaced by Neil Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    I don't watch Pirate games (living out odf town and refusing to spend the money for the MLB package) but saw two games on WGN over the weekend.

At bat, Clement looks the part but I saw him swing at three ankle high pitches in a row and strike out, I wondered about his "sense of the plate" and pitch location.

I did a fast math test and it looks like he is striking out in about a third of the outs he makes, along with his sub .200 or so average.

He should be in Indy and replaced by Neil Walker.
    Neil Walker isn't a 1st baseman and Neil Walker is most likely playing far over his head for the firsdt time in 3 seasons. He's not a savior. He failed in 17 or so games last year hitting .194

Clement's working on his swing and is currently on pace for 17-22 HR's. The only thing moving him is going to be Tabata coming up and shifting Garrett Jones to 1B

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information