Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger could return next week

Threads : 440

Default Roethlisberger could return next week

Roethlisberger could return next week

By The Sports Exchange
    Posted May 14, 2010

The focus soon will turn again to Ben Roethlisberger, who is expected to rejoin his teammates in OTA practices, perhaps even next week when they resume Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Roethlisberger completed his behavioral evaluation, and both he and the Steelers await word on when he can return to full participation with his teammates in offseason workouts.
    That decision will come from commissioner Roger Goodell once he and staff members review the evaluation results and subsequent recommendations of the professionals who performed them.

Once Goodell is satisfied with the evaluation, he can permit Roethlisberger to practice now and throughout training camp until he must begin serving his 4-6 game suspension at the beginning of the season.

The Steelers renew their practices after taking off since their minicamp ended May 2, a weekend in which Roethlisberger stayed at the NFL-assigned clinic for his evaluation. They conclude their spring practices June 10.

Roethlisberger is said to be working out and in good shape physically and mentally and that he wants to meet the challenge of rebuilding his reputation head-on.

Goodell used the NFL's Personal Conduct Policy to discipline the Steelers' two-time Super Bowl quarterback for incidents that occurred in Milledgeville, Ga., March 4-5. A 20-year-old woman accused Roethlisberger of sexually assault, but after a month investigating the allegations, Georgia prosecutors decided not to charge him with a crime.

Roethlisberger ran with the first team during their first OTA practices April 19-20. That was before Goodell announced a suspension. When he returns to practice, he likely will not be with the first team, maybe not even the second. Coach Mike Tomlin has said he will decide by the opening of training camp who will be his starting quarterback to open the season.

"In all likelihood, I won't say it, but the decision will be made," Tomlin said.

Byron Leftwich ran the first-team offense in the Steelers' three-day minicamp and Dennis Dixon ran with the second team. Charlie Batch was No. 3.

"We got a long process here for the rest of the offseason," said Tomlin, who has 12 OTA days remaining. "We're looking forward to watching those guys work and find rhythm with receivers and so forth, and just continuing to grow."

NOTES, QUOTES

* The Steelers placed wide receiver Limas Sweed on their injured reserve list after he cleared waivers. They signed another player to replace him on a roster that stands at 90. Sweed had surgery on his Achilles tendon after it was ruptured on the final day of the team's minicamp May 2.

They signed first-year WR Isaiah Williams, who signed with the Baltimore Rats as an undrafted rookie from Maryland last year and was released before the season.

* Starting C Justin Hartwig should see more and more time as OTA practices resume. He had shoulder cleanup surgery after the season. He practiced at minicamp but did not participate in 11-on-11 drills. "It was a prescribed part of his process coming off of his surgery," coach Mike Tomlin said. "As the offseason continues to roll on, we will continue to just work him more and more, and get him up to speed. He's done a nice job with the rehabilitation. He's starting to get his weight back; he's really doing well."

* There will be an adjustment for the wide receivers to make as they switch back and forth between Ben Roethlisberger and Byron Leftwich.

"It's different because they throw so much different," WR Mike Wallace said. "Ben's is just soft. Byron has a canon, he's letting it rip. It's different how their balls come out spinning."

"Regardless of the quarterback situation, I've caught balls from all of them so I feel comfortable with whoever's in the ballgame," said Hines Ward

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Ask me on the 18th. Matter of fact, just see if he's here or not." -- Coach Mike Tomlin on whether S Troy Polamalu will continue to work out with the team when OTAs continue Tuesday.

MEDICAL WATCH: WR Limas Sweed was placed on IR after having surgery May 3 to repair a ruptured Achilles tendon.

http://pit.scout.com/2/969973.html

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Roethlisberger could return next week

Clearance for Ben Roethlisberger to return to Steelers camp is not imminent
    NFL.com
    May 11, 2010

Ben Roethlisberger has completed the first steps in his NFL-ordered behavioral evaluation, but there is no expectation that the Steelers QB will be allowed back to offseason workouts anytime soon, NFL.com reported.

Roethlisberger, suspended six games by commissioner Roger Goodell for violating the league's personal-conduct policy, has been undergoing a series of evaluations that Goodell mandated. He was banned from participating in offseason workouts until Goodell clears him.

More tests may still be ordered, NFL.com reported, as the league awaits more feedback on Roethlisberger's tests. The site also added that Goodell "will move in a reasoned and measured pace" when determining when Roethlisberger can rejoin his teammates.

The Steelers have three days of OTAs scheduled for next week, from May 18-20. -- Sean Leahy

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...not-imminent/1
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I really don't care if Big Ego ever comes back.

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

you might change your mind after 4 games of watching Byron Leftwich...

Threads : 6

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    you might change your mind after 4 games of watching Byron Leftwich...
    I doubt it.
    You may be right, but I think we go 3-1, no worse than 2-2 without the Man who jerked a knot out of the *** of the Steeler Nation.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

you really dont care if the best qb we have had in years doesn,t come back.

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    you really dont care if the best qb we have had in years doesn,t come back.
    That's right. This is the first time in my life I haven't been excited about the upcoming season. I even took the Steeler sticker off my SUV. Slam me all you like, I'm not the only one who feels this way. Been a hard core Steeler fan all my life and I'm 53. But I can't support a freakin' egotistical sex fiend drunkard. Sorry...

Sports Logo

That's right. This is the first time in my life I haven't been excited about the upcoming season. I even took the Steeler sticker off my SUV. Slam me all you like, I'm not the only one who feels this way. Been a hard core Steeler fan all my life and I'm 53. But I can't support a freakin' egotistical sex fiend drunkard. Sorry...
    I think your taking this to hard-who knows what other players have done that never came to light-time to let go and root for the team bud.

Threads : 407

Wow, really taking it personal. Wonder how many people would appreciate being judged by so many others as to how to live their lives. And then not forgive the mistakes made by others and not willing to give another chance. And still, he has yet to ever be charged of a crime.

OK, let's think about this. He goes to a small town to celebrate his birthday, some chick that has the hots for him, who he doesn't know her real age, wants to give him a BJ and then changes her mind. I wish that could happen to me every year on my birthday.

I just want him to come back, get this **** behind him, prove that his is human and play lightsout football for the my team.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    He goes to a small town to celebrate his birthday, some chick that has the hots for him, who he doesn't know her real age, wants to give him a BJ and then changes her mind. I wish that could happen to me every year on my birthday.

so every year on your birthday, you would like some young hottie to want to give you a BJ and then later on change her mind?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Obviously Ben has some serious issues he has to resolve, and what happened in Georgia has brought it to light. He has been professionally and publicly humiliated and embarrassed his family, teammates and fans.
    I wanted him gone when this all broke, if for nothing else than being stupid enough to put himself in the same position again in less than a year.Hanging out in a bar and partying with college co-eds is just asking for trouble and he sure found it.
    Now we get to see how a disgraced 28 year old, $100 million, 2 time Super Bowl Champion QB, can scramble out of this kind of pressure to his biggest comeback yet.
    After watching the Green Bay game the other night, I am sure I don't want anyone else leading my Steelers after game 4 next season. I just hope it's a different Ben with the same competitive fire and more focus.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Obviously Ben has some serious issues he has to resolve, and what happened in Georgia has brought it to light. He has been professionally and publicly humiliated and embarrassed his family, teammates and fans.
    I wanted him gone when this all broke, if for nothing else than being stupid enough to put himself in the same position again in less than a year.Hanging out in a bar and partying with college co-eds is just asking for trouble and he sure found it.
    Now we get to see how a disgraced 28 year old, $100 million, 2 time Super Bowl Champion QB, can scramble out of this kind of pressure to his biggest comeback yet.
    After watching the Green Bay game the other night, I am sure I don't want anyone else leading my Steelers after game 4 next season. I just hope it's a different Ben with the same competitive fire and more focus.

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm ready for him to be back with us. I've forgiven him. Against my better judgement, as I have serious beef with any sex predators. Much less the QB of our Steelers. However, he is jumping thru the hoops they put before him, so i'm gonna let it all play out. Hopefully it's only 4 games, he's righted the ship, he comes back great, and we win the SB.
    Sweet *** sig thanks to Kipper.Hidden Content

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steel City View Post
    I've forgiven him.
    I give you credit, then... He burned his "second chance" in my opinion.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Rumor has it that Ben will have his own reality t.v. show during his suspension. He'll be living in a sorority house on campus at Slippery Rock University. Patron tequila will be the sponsor. Should be one hell of a show.

Drink my shots *****es!
    Last edited by Skeeter; May-16-2010 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information