Thread: Road Trip

puredetroit

Default Road Trip

Hey Guys,

Im new to the site but thought this would be a great place to come for a little insight. Im planning a road trip to PNC for a weekend trip and was wondering what are some of the places I must go to while in town. Things to see, places to eat, etc...

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Road Trip

Places to eat ...

Primanti's (need a Primanti's Sandwich). You can find a Primanti's throughout the city and the city and it's sub city neighborhoods (South Side, north side, Strip, Oakland) are all fairly close.

Place to go ...

Take the Incline up to Mt.Washington and take a stroll along Mt.Washington. some real nice views of the city. Good for photos. A nice GPS system could take you to the Elliot-Overlook which is where all of the head on picture of Pittsburgh are taken from.

I'm not much a of a tourist guy. Living somewhere you've sort of seen it all many times you don't know what would be unique to outsiders Some others here should likely have some good suggestions
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 215

Take a ride through the tunnels, to see Pittsburgh appear out of nowhere. Take a ride on the subway (whatever it's called). Both inclines are unique to the city.The Clark Bar, for a beverage and a meal, get's you around the stadiums. You can park there and walk to either stadium easily. You can stop at the other bars, on the shore, later. The Clark Bar is the best.

Once upon a time, I parked at Station Square, rode the rail to Wood Street, cabbed and/or bussed to the stadium, watched the game and then hopped a waiting boat back to Station Square. I don't know if you can do that now? I once rode the bus next to a lady that was the wife of one of our famous shortstops. He starred while another star shortstop was in the service, I believe, the names have left me, but she used to sit on the third base side for the home games at Three Rivers. I did not follow up on an invitation to her house, to my regret.The bus would drop us off at the Allegheny Club entrance at Three Rivers. The seats closer to home plate or dead center are the very best, but any seats are good seats at PNC.

There is also an amphibious ride company that takes you on a water to land tour.

There is a section of town that's famous for a huge market (the Strip District?). Try the Primanti's located there.

When you are ready for a rest, check out what's playing at City Theater. Relieve yourself well before the play starts, there are no intermissions.

I could vacation in Pittsburgh as easily as I have in other cities. I hope to someday soon.
    Last edited by CROSSBONES; May-15-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

There is also an amphibious ride company that takes you on a water to land tour.
    They're called "Just Ducky" and operate out of Station Square. How many chances do you get to go land-water-land in a genuine 1940's Duck? I took my parents out on the tour when they visited last year. Good fun!

The inclines and a walk on Grandview Avenue (guess why it is thus named!) are always good and there are a few places at either end to grab some refreshments (Shiloh Avenue, if memory serves, has a few bars ans Ice Cream places).
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 271
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Definitely Hit Primanti's In the Strip District, Check out the mellon Arena before it's Torn Down

Check out the Inclines & Mt Washington !!

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In addition to Primanti's in the Strip District, 'ya gotta try Deluca's for breakfast. It's also in the same general area... Both have been featured on the Food Network... A quick jaunt over to Oakland will give you an opportunity to grab a dog & fries at the "O" (The Original Hot Dog Shop). I believe it's on Forbes Ave... You can also check out some of the architecture there on the Pitt campus. The Cathedral of Learning is fairly impressive... The return to the downtown area can be done on Fifth Ave (all the way from the Pitt campus)... It will bring you down past the new arena for the Pens... Jerome Bettis' "Grill 36" is a decent place to grab a bite as well, and it's located right next to Heinz Field.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information