Thread: Tomlin: 'Coaches around the league don't care about my problems'

Threads : 440

Default Tomlin: 'Coaches around the league don't care about my problems'

Steelers' Mike Tomlin: 'Coaches around the league don't care about my problems'

Given Ben Roethlisberger's upcoming suspension, the Pittsburgh coach breaks down his options at quarterback

Sunday, May. 16, 2010 - 4:15 p.m. ET

When the Steelers resume offseason practices Tuesday, the focus will be on the quarterback position. With Ben Roethlisberger suspended for the first six games of the season (it could be reduced to four games by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell), Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon are battling it out to see who will start the season at quarterback. Coach Mike Tomlin talked to Sporting News' Dennis Dillon recently about how the situation will unfold.

Q: How soon after Roethlisberger's suspension was announced did you and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians start mapping out a survival plan?
    Tomlin: We wouldn't necessarily approach it from a survivalist mentality. We're comfortable with the guys we have to work with. We've got experience with all of those guys. All those guys have played winning football for us here in the past. Basically, what we're going to do is spend the remainder of the offseason working with these guys. All these guys are at different phases, if you will, in their careers. We like the group. We're going to work with those guys. We're going to make a decision at the end of the offseason about how we're going to move forward, and then we're going to do it.

Q: How will competition work during spring practices and training camp?
    Tomlin: Setting up reps and giving each guy an opportunity to work with the ones (first-team offense) here in the OTA sessions. Prior to going to training camp, we're going to make some hard and fast decisions. I wouldn't necessarily call it a quarterback competition. I've never seen one of those three-headed quarterback competitions come out favorably. We're going to make decisions and move forward and trust our instincts and go.

Q: How soon would you like to determine the starter?
    Tomlin: We've mapped out a plan of how we're going to approach this thing, determining a pecking order if you will of the guys by the end of the offseason. We'll go into training camp with that plan in mind, put it into action and prepare ourselves to play football.

Q: So you'll know who the starter is going into training camp?
    Tomlin: There aren't enough reps to go around to have a legitimate, three-headed quarterback competition. I've never seen one of those things work out well. We're not going to delve into that. We're going to work with these guys for the remainder of the offseason, make decisions from my gut instinct and move forward.

Q: Could you make cases why each of the three quarterbacks has a chance to be the starter?
    Tomlin: Charlie Batch is a guy who has great experience, has great football intelligence. He requires a minimal number of snaps to be prepared to play. I think that's a distinguishing characteristic when you talk about Charlie Batch. He doesn't require a bunch of physical reps to be ready to play above-the-line football.
    Byron Leftwich is a guy who knows what it's about to be a franchise quarterback. He was that guy in Jacksonville; he was drafted very high (seventh overall in 2003) when he came out of school. He walks around the building with that kind of charismatic presence. Not arrogant in any way. He has charismatic leadership. He's very comfortable in a franchise quarterback's shoes, if you will.
    Dennis Dixon is a talented young man with a tremendous upside. He's not going to do anything but get better with (more) snaps. Of course, he came from a spread offense and operated quite a bit out of the shotgun. He's grown by leaps and bounds in terms of playing underneath the center. Mechanically, the play-action game, reading the coverages he's just grown in just about every area you can name.

Q: The Steelers certainly are in a unique situation. Have you called any other coaches around the league, asking for advice on how to handle it?
    Tomlin: I have not. Chances are other coaches around the league don't care about my problems. Or they're glad that I have them.

Q: If the Steelers are unbeaten when Roethlisberger's suspension ends, would you be wary about disrupting that winning chemistry or would Roethlisberger get the job back immediately?
    Tomlin: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/arti...ut-my-problems

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tomlin: 'Coaches around the league don't care about my problems'

That's a lotta article for an off-handed remark.

Shame on those "journalists".

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by Tomlin
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Q: If the Steelers are unbeaten when Roethlisberger's suspension ends, would you be wary about disrupting that winning chemistry or would Roethlisberger get the job back immediately?
    Tomlin: We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Are you ****ing kidding me, Tomlin? If by some chance we are undefeated it won't be because of stellar play from our quarterback I can guarantee you that. Either the running game is kicking *** or the defense. You sit Ben the first game he is back you are a bigger dumbass then I already think you are.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Are you ****ing kidding me, Tomlin? If by some chance we are undefeated it won't be because of stellar play from our quarterback I can guarantee you that. Either the running game is kicking *** or the defense. You sit Ben the first game he is back you are a bigger dumbass then I already think you are.
    That was a stupid question being treated with disdain. I'm sick this past year of the five-fingered doughnut-punchers that pass themselves off as the press around here. All they do is come across as asinine cretins providing food for that bridge dweller known as Mike Florio.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 60

They already know it's going to be Leftwich.

Tomlin's transcript

MIke Tomlin (AP Photo)
    By SteelCityInsider.com

Posted May 18, 2010

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin fielded questions from the media about Ben Roethlisberger, Troy Polamalu, Hines Ward and more upon the resumption of OTAs on Tuesday.

Mike Tomlin, coach, Pittsburgh Steelers

Good afternoon. Sunny or no, indoor or out, it’s kind of good to be back at work, particularly with some of our draft picks and free agents, some of the young men we haven’t seen here in a couple of weeks. It was a productive day from that standpoint, but really it’s just about moving forward and getting better every day, having a little bit better detail in regards to work every day, little bit better displays of conditioning on a daily basis, really, just the overall development of our football, and it was a good start today. We look forward to getting two more here this week and using it as a springboard for the remainder of the offseason. Questions.

Are there any injuries that you’re dealing with?

No, no injuries to speak of. Hines (Ward) is progressing well with the hamstring injury that he sustained in minicamp. He’s running a little bit. He’s getting treatment. We expect him to continue to get better and join us at some point.

Did Troy Polamalu just take the day off?

I didn’t realize he wasn’t here. Thanks. (Pause) I tend to focus on the guys that are here, and that’s probably a good approach to have with voluntary offseason conditioning and work and so forth. As a coach, you can be a miserable person worrying about the ones that aren’t. You can have a productive day when you focus on the ones that are, and I tend to do that.

Byron Leftwich worked with the first team again. Is he the starting quarterback?

There are going to be opportunities to work with the first group for all three guys. Byron has gotten the bulk of the work to this point. I will acknowledge that.

Will you know by the end of OTAs who the starter’s going to be?

No, I won’t necessarily know who the starter is per se by the end of the OTAs. I did make a comment last week in regards to how I’m approaching it, and this is how I intend on approaching it. I really don’t believe it’s an effective approach to go in with a pure open quarterback competition, if you will. There simply aren’t enough snaps to go around. We’ll go in with a pecking order, if you will, and the opportunities to show what you’re capable of will be based on that pecking order. All three guys will be given an opportunity – not an equal opportunity. That’s just the nature of this game and the nature of this business. I’ll make those judgments based on intuition and knowledge that I have of the men at an appropriate time and we’ll proceed. They’ll understand that and move forward. In general, I think it’s good to go in with a pecking order, if you will, in your mind. I think it’s good information for the men, in terms of where they are. I think it’s good information for a football team. I just think it’s the appropriate way to approach it. I can’t really think of any pure three-headed quarterback battles that have worked out favorably, in recent history or long-term history, in the National Football League.

Does that go for all positions?

I really think it’s exclusive to the position of quarterback. The divvying of snaps, the leadership, the things that the team needs to know in terms of the direction; that’s critical at that position and that’s the approach that I’m taking.

Do you intend to take all four of these quarterbacks to camp?

Absolutely.

When do you expect to see Ben Roethlisberger at OTAs?

I’m just going to wait for word from New York just like everyone else and I’m not going to speculate until I get that word.

Have you talked to Ben in the last few days about the work he’s doing by himself?

I’ve talked to Ben quite frequently about a myriad of things.

Do you have any idea when he might be back? And is it important for him to be here?

I like those loaded questions. Um, I don’t have any idea because I’m not the decision-maker. I could speculate but that would be fruitless. It is important to work; that’s why we work. How important it is is based on the individual. He’s a veteran player. He’s been entrenched in this system for quite some time. I would imagine it’s less critical for him than it is for others. Time will tell.

Are you confident he can get the work he needs outside of this facility?

No.

No?

I’m not confident.

What are the rules about talking to him?

He can’t participate in official offseason activities, which is OTAs, meetings, and such.

Is he allowed to show up here?

No.

Why isn’t Thaddeus Gibson here?

He’s a quarter-school guy. They’re not allowed to participate in the offseason until the work at their individual institution is done. He also is in school himself, so it’s critical that he finish what he started. There’ll be plenty of time for him to get acclimated. Will it require some catch-up? Will he be behind? Yes, in the short term, but that’s just short-term misery. If he’s committed, I think in the long term it’ll be less of an issue.

Could you talk about Jonathan Dwyer? He looks like he has good size and speed and explosion.

(Chuckles) He’s a rookie wearing shorts.

Why are you not confident that Ben won’t get the work that he needs?

I’m trying to sell this Pittsburgh football, this voluntary football. It would be unintelligent of me to say that him being here is not significant when I’m in the process of recruiting others to be here. I’m not going to be stupid.

How many receiving positions does Antwaan Randle El know?

One of the attractive things, if you will, about a veteran player such as Antwaan Randle El, or Arnaz Battle for that matter, is position flexibility, the ability to execute at a high level at multiple positions. Both guys provide that for us and both guys have been and will continue to be challenged in that area.

Have you noticed Leftwich’s loss of weight?

Yeah, he’s been like that since he’s been back from Tampa. I guess that Florida sunshine will do that to you.

Per the starting quarterback situation, is it safe to say that one will be eliminated prior to training camp?

We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it. I know that information’s important to you guys, particularly in regards to the matter. I know that it’s newsworthy. But I’m not going to give you bad information for the sake of providing you information. Some of these things are not decisions that need to be made in the short term, so I’m not going to make them. We’ll address those things at the appropriate time. Decisions, in terms of division of labor, reps, who’s here, who’s not, who’s participating at what level in regards to the preseason and so forth, those decisions will be made. They just won’t be made today.

The LaMarr Woodley contract situation appears to be a difficult one and he’s being asked about it a lot. Do you see him being able to separate that from football?

Absolutely. One of the attractive things about LaMarr Woodley is that, man, he is a football-first guy. Very rarely is he distracted by things other than the game when he’s in a professional environment, when he’s preparing himself, and when he’s playing. That’s a part of being a professional athlete, particularly in today’s NFL with the uncertainty regarding labor. One thing I know is that he has a contract for 2010. He’s committed to working for 2010. That’s our mentality. We haven’t had any discussions and really haven’t pondered a bunch about that. I know he’s going to get asked that question; he knows he’s going to be asked that question. But, really, it’s irrelevant in regards to what we’re doing here today and how we’re approaching what it is we have going on right now. Like a lot of things, those questions will be answered in time, probably not in a timely enough manner for you all. Thank you.

http://pit.scout.com/2/970860.html

Tomlin: 'I don't mind the circus atmosphere'

Wednesday, June 02, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger will continue to run with the Steelers first team offense and Dennis Dixon will get more snaps in practice, coach Mike Tomlin said today.

Byron Leftwich returned after missing Tuesday's practice and no longer ran the first-team offense as he has done since his first practice with the Steelers in minicamp that began April 30. Roethlisberger, who returned to the team Tuesday after being cleared by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, again took all the reins with the first team.

Leftwich and Dixon split snaps with the backup units and Charlie Batch mostly watched during team drills.

"What we want to do is give Ben quality reps so he can get re-acclimated and improve and work on his game," Tomlin said. "And we want to continue to give Dennis reps because he is a young guy. When you're talking about working with four quarterbacks, of course reps are going to be scarce in some instances. For the purposes of this week, if there is going to be a reduction in reps it is going to be at the expense of Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch."

Tomlin had a previous commitment Tuesday and was unavailable for comment after practice until today. He said Roethlisberger will speak soon.

"He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future and continue to move forward."

Tomlin sounded as if he was unconcerned by the distraction that the whole episode with Roethlisberger has caused, beginning with the sexual assault lodged against him by a woman March 5 and continuing with the suspension of four to six games by Goodell.

"I don't mind the circus atmosphere, because I can't control it ... Ultimately, we'll be measured by our ability to win football games. That's what this is about. This is a distraction if we lose, if we don't it's not. I'm committed to making sure that it's not, as I'm sure everyone else is."

The Steelers have four remaining spring practices before they break until the start of training camp July 30 -- one today and three next week.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10153/10 ... z0plGBLyJr

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Steelers' Tomlin moving forward
    Thursday, June 03, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

[IMGR]http://i49.tinypic.com/154wqd3.jpg[/IMGR]There was talk of a juggling act and a circus, and certainly Mike Tomlin has or will encounter everything under the big top as he pilots the Steelers and their unique quarterback position through the rest of June, into and out of training camp and beyond.

It in-cludes the steps taken upon Ben Roethlisberger's return to the team this week and many more ahead in the quarterback's journey back. Wednesday, for example, everyone learned that Roethlisberger would reclaim his spot as the No. 1 quarterback for these spring practices. Tomlin says he has a plan for training camp as well, but he's keeping that private for now.

"I don't mind the circus atmosphere because I can't control it," Tomlin said after practice. "We're trying to focus on the things we can control. We recognize as a professional football team that's trying to be a world championship caliber team that there are certain things that come with being who we are that we have to accept, and we need to stay focused on what it is we are here to do, which is to improve. He will address the media at an appropriate time in the near future and continue to move forward."

Moving forward includes much work off the field and behind the scenes as the rehabilitation of Big Ben takes root. While the quarterback has not yet spoken publicly, he has been pleasant and relaxed with those who have crossed his path at the South Side facility the past two days.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, who allowed Roethlisberger to rejoin the Steelers on Tuesday, will reduce his suspension from six games to four if he determines the quarterback has fulfilled the requirements asked of him. Tomlin and the team are working with him to accomplish what Goodell expects to see.

"We're doing a lot of things with Ben in terms of dealing with this situation, and not for the sole purposes of meeting the criteria so he can participate," Tomlin said. "More than anything it's about making proper corrections and moving forward with football and with his life. That's the spirit in which we're doing the things we're doing with him. We have no control over the commissioner's judgment or when it comes down or how it comes down."

Several teammates said they noticed a change in Roethlisberger since his return, and not just the excellent shape he was in when he reported back. Tomlin took a different approach when asked if he'd seen any changes.

"I'm not necessarily really looking for it. It's less about how we respond to this in the short term and even further less important what we say about it. It's more about how we move forward largely in the long term, knowing that he has a commitment to being what we desire for him to be and what his team needs him to be and that's my focus. I've seen Ben quite a bit and communicated with him quite a bit throughout all of this. So there hasn't been a period of time where I haven't seen Ben where some of his teammates have."

Roethlisberger continued to run with the Steelers' first team offense with Byron Leftwich back after his absence Tuesday.

Leftwich had run the first-team offense since his first minicamp practice April 30, but Wednesday he and Dennis Dixon split snaps with the backup units, and Charlie Batch mostly watched during team drills. Tomlin was asked how he plans to juggle the four through training camp, but he would only spell out his immediate plans.

"What we want to do is give Ben quality reps so he can get reacclimated and improve and work on his game," Tomlin said. "And we want to continue to give Dennis reps because he is a young guy. When you're talking about working with four quarterbacks, of course reps are going to be scarce in some instances. For the purposes of this week, if there is going to be a reduction in reps it is going to be at the expense of Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch."

[HIGH-LIGHT]The Steelers have four remaining spring practices before they break until the start of training camp July 30 -- one today and three next week.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10154/1062808-66.stm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Hey hawaiiansteeler, you get three guesses as to where I found this, and the first two don't count...

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

[QUOTE=NKySteeler;85211]Hey hawaiiansteeler, you get three guesses as to where I found this, and the first two don't count...

okay, let's see...

Guess 1) in a Georgia bathroom stall

Guess 2) in a Tahoe hotel room

Guess 3) on another message board

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Bruce Arians is Tomlin's biggest problem

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    Bruce Arians is Tomlin's biggest problem
    ..... X2!.....

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Hey hawaiiansteeler, you get three guesses as to where I found this, and the first two don't count...

Any chance we can get this on 24 hour replay in LVG's house??

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Any chance we can get this on 24 hour replay in LVG's house??
    I'd thought about e-mailing it to him....

... It's sorta like the "endless loop" of the USC fight song I keep threatening to send to sjdrewk...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information