Thread: What if Ranaudo Falls to the 2nd Round?

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default What if Ranaudo Falls to the 2nd Round?

There's rumors out there suggesting that with the horrible season Ranaudo is having that he could fall all of the way out of the 1st Round. the arm issue has really hurt him.

I'd be willing to wager money right now the Pirates don't draft Taillon and draft Machado if Harper goes #1 overall. So... if Ranaudo would happen to fall to the 2nd round and the Pirates have the chance to draft him... do they? They know about his arm injury, but it also didn't require Dr.Andrews but it might down the road. He could be a kid struggling because of the injury but all fixed up, has Top of the rotation stuff.

Then there's the money. Scott Boras is representing Ranaudo and is going to want Top 10 money for Ranaudo in the 2nd round without question. It'll be Tanner Scheppers all over again in that regard with the possibility that Ranaudo could go to an Independent league like Aaron Crow and Tanner Scheppers, so would Ranaudo be worth the money risk in the 2nd round? I mean, we're probably talking easily over slot by a million
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 45

Default Re: What if Ranaudo Falls to the 2nd Round?

Just like Scheppers, if I'm GM, I'm not paying an injured pitcher top 10 money. Now if Renaudo could come in and demonstrate that his issues are behind him and he can throw like a top 10 pick, that would be different. But they did the right thing with Scheppers, he wasn't healthy and couldn't throw. I think I'd just as soon go in a different direction unless they know they can sign Renaudo.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just like Scheppers, if I'm GM, I'm not paying an injured pitcher top 10 money. Now if Renaudo could come in and demonstrate that his issues are behind him and he can throw like a top 10 pick, that would be different. But they did the right thing with Scheppers, he wasn't healthy and couldn't throw. I think I'd just as soon go in a different direction unless they know they can sign Renaudo.
    That's the difference though. Renaudo is throwing right now where Scheppers was rehabilitating.

but there's something clearly wrong with Ranaudo for him to have that high of an era

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

The problem is that **** supplemental round. We don't pick again until 52. Someone will take him with their second pick. Wish it could be the Bucs, but I can't see it.

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why not?
    He even comes pre-packaged with an arm injury so he won't have to suffer one once he enters the Buccos farm system.
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    The problem is that **** supplemental round. We don't pick again until 52. Someone will take him with their second pick. Wish it could be the Bucs, but I can't see it.
    Cast that aside. Don't worry about whether or not he falls to the Pirates. Just imagine that he's there when the Pirates pick in the 2nd Round...

Do you take him?

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    Why not?
    He even comes pre-packaged with an arm injury so he won't have to suffer one once he enters the Buccos farm system.

Too true. gets the inevitable out of the way early

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    The Pirates would be stupid not to I believe. They made the right choice in drafting Scheppers. They should make the right choice here. However, I am not sure that will happen. I agree with you that with the supplemental round the Pirates are not looking to be in a position to get Ranaudo in the 2nd. I with they were.

Now, I will say that with guys like Workman and Harvey you might see them in the supplemental which would help Ranaudo possibly fall.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

But then again you knew that'd be my answer. Ranaudo if he falls to the 2nd I think would be a steal. If he doesn't suffer that arm injury and pitches like he did last year...we're talking about him going in the top 2-3 picks this draft--that's even before where Scheppers was discussed before his injury.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 21

If I thought he would be healthy I would take him. if i am not 100% sure then i pass him up. This draft needs to be more bats we went pitching heavyu last draft.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    But then again you knew that'd be my answer. Ranaudo if he falls to the 2nd I think would be a steal. If he doesn't suffer that arm injury and pitches like he did last year...we're talking about him going in the top 2-3 picks this draft--that's even before where Scheppers was discussed before his injury.
    It's a tough decision. You're right in that (based on what I remember) Ranaudo was touted higher at one point or later in than Scheppers ever was. Question of importance of course would be the arm injury. Need doctors to check it out, need to make sure you aren't relying on the word of the players, father and "advisor" or they'll bull**** you like Scheppers' clan did and go from there.

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Cast that aside. Don't worry about whether or not he falls to the Pirates. Just imagine that he's there when the Pirates pick in the 2nd Round...

Do you take him?
    Only if you are going to be willing to pay him. Rather waste the money on a high upside guy than pay it to a mediocre free agent like, Hinske, Vasquez, Gomez or one of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rbilak View Post
    Only if you are going to be willing to pay him. Rather waste the money on a high upside guy than pay it to a mediocre free agent like, Hinske, Vasquez, Gomez or one of those guys.
    It all depends though. When you draft players there's still that risk especially where injuries are concerned. I think with Ranaudo though, the scouts will know more than they did with Scheppers who was a near mystery that every MLB team had passed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    It all depends though. When you draft players there's still that risk especially where injuries are concerned. I think with Ranaudo though, the scouts will know more than they did with Scheppers who was a near mystery that every MLB team had passed up.
    The other thing is that the Pirates still have some games to evaluate Ranaudo...he's still pitching...and Scheppers was not either.

It'll be interesting to see what the scouting report is on him after the season.

I have only seen him pitch once after the injury and that was a good outing but it was only I think 2 IP.
    Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information