Thread: Refresh my memory... GM search

Threads : 22

Default Refresh my memory... GM search

As typical with us fans, we like to look back and lament over what we could, should have done in situations (like releasing people, trades, etc)

When the Pirates hired NH... who else was in the mix for the job, who did us fans clamor to sign... and, what if anything have any of those guys we talked about done with their teams?

Yes, like I said, like to ponder over the past sometimes

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Refresh my memory... GM search

I don't remember anyone being in the running for the GM position.Didn't we have to bribe him to take it??

Threads : 22

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't remember anyone being in the running for the GM position.Didn't we have to bribe him to take it??

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wasn't the guy in Toronto a candidate? I know two of the candidates were from Western Pa, I figured a homegrown would appreciate the suffering of fans and would be more inclined to get things done. I gotta say though, I am happy with NH. He is going about things the right way and not trying to pass off the Benny Distafano's of the world as the future He is drafting well and aquiring talent to give us a future
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Jack Zduriencik,the guy that is now the GM for Seattle was a candidate. The Toronto Bluejays guy that is a local that most wanted was Tony LaCava.

I can't remember who else was involved in the mix through all of those rumors off the top of my head

Threads : 197

My favorite candidate was Tony Bernazard, the Mets VP of Player Development, who famously took off his shirt and challenged players on their AA team to a fight. That would have been exciting.

Dodgers Assistant GM Logan White was also a name that was out there, not sure if they ever even talked to him, though.

I'm pretty sure Keith Law is still upset that the Pirates didn't hire Tony LaCava. They worked together in Toronto, and the way he reacts to everything Huntington does I think there was either a job in it for him, or he was just really good friends with the guy. That's one reason to be happy they didn't hire him. Keith Law's a ******.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    My favorite candidate was Tony Bernazard, the Mets VP of Player Development, who famously took off his shirt and challenged players on their AA team to a fight. That would have been exciting.

Dodgers Assistant GM Logan White was also a name that was out there, not sure if they ever even talked to him, though.

I'm pretty sure Keith Law is still upset that the Pirates didn't hire Tony LaCava. They worked together in Toronto, and the way he reacts to everything Huntington does I think there was either a job in it for him, or he was just really good friends with the guy. That's one reason to be happy they didn't hire him. Keith Law's a ******.
    I didn't know about Law and LaCava being close friends. That makes sense when it comes to Law's comments. He's been about 10 times harder on Neal Huntington than he ever was on the incompetent Dave Littlefield. Definitely probably a jealousy type of deal there. You're right, Law is a ******, it's nice to know that he isn't part of the organization

I don't remember Logan White being rumored, then again for a short period of time it seemed like there were a bunch of names just being dropped from rumor mills that most likely weren't even true considerations. I don't remember Tony Bernazard either but I'm happy he wasn't a pick. Guys is too much Lloyd Mcclendon. Good for entertainment value due to their tempers but too much temper that usually leads to an ugly clubhouse

Threads : 197

There were a lot of reports out that the Mets gave the Pirates permission to interview Bernazard, so I'm pretty sure that one was real. He also was one of the finalists for the Seattle job, which was a pretty similar group to the guys who interviewed for the Pirates job.

One other thing I forgot to mention, there were reports out of Cleveland, and one mention in the PG that the Pirates' real first choice for GM was Chris Antonetti, who served as co-assistant GM with Huntington. Huntington was from the scouting side, and Antonetti was their stats guy. Antonetti apparently had his role increased and was somewhat certain that he was going to be the next GM in Cleveland. Antonetti was also the first choice of the Cardinals in 2008 and the Red Sox in 2005, but turned down all three opportunities without even interviewing. He was the main guy involved in designing Cleveland's famous computer system and doesn't want to leave it behind. Apparently there's an agreement that he'll take the Cleveland job when Shapiro leaves.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    There were a lot of reports out that the Mets gave the Pirates permission to interview Bernazard, so I'm pretty sure that one was real. He also was one of the finalists for the Seattle job, which was a pretty similar group to the guys who interviewed for the Pirates job.

One other thing I forgot to mention, there were reports out of Cleveland, and one mention in the PG that the Pirates' real first choice for GM was Chris Antonetti, who served as co-assistant GM with Huntington. Huntington was from the scouting side, and Antonetti was their stats guy. Antonetti apparently had his role increased and was somewhat certain that he was going to be the next GM in Cleveland. Antonetti was also the first choice of the Cardinals in 2008 and the Red Sox in 2005, but turned down all three opportunities without even interviewing. He was the main guy involved in designing Cleveland's famous computer system and doesn't want to leave it behind. Apparently there's an agreement that he'll take the Cleveland job when Shapiro leaves.
    Antonetti was the favorite for the job from our point of view as an organization I believe. He was the guy I wanted as well. However, you are correct he's probably unlikely to leave Cleveland with what he's built there. But they have struggled mightily lately so....(as an FYI...I believe he was upgraded to Assistant GM after not taking/interviewing/etc the Pirates job).
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information