Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perry Hill wants to coach, but not for bucs

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Perry Hill wants to coach, but not for bucs

Oct 21 2009
    Hill does want to coach, but not with Pirates right now

By Chuck Finder | 5:33 p.m. Wednesday

Perry Hill, the infield instructor who recently parted ways with the Pirates, insisted he wants to continue coaching, contrary to a statement made Saturday by general manager Neal Huntington.

"I never said I didn't want to coach," Hill said this afternoon. "I just didn't want to be with Pittsburgh. I definitely want to coach."

In the team's news release Saturday, Huntington said: "We made an aggressive attempt to bring Perry back, including exercising his option for the 2010 season and offering to restructure and extend his contract. Despite these efforts, Perry has decided that he does not want to coach."

Hill and Huntington agreed last week not to discuss their matter through the media, but Hill made an exception upon seeing that part of Huntington's statement.

The Pirates have exercised Hill's option for 2010, thus preventing him from coaching for another team without their permission.
    http://community.post-gazette.com/bl...right-now.aspx
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Default Re: Perry Hill wants to coach, but not for bucs

What is his problem with the organization? The fact that they traded his two favorite proteges maybe?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"I never said I didn't want to coach," Hill said this afternoon. "I just didn't want to be with Pittsburgh. I definitely want to coach."
    Perry

Threads : 158

Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is his problem with the organization? The fact that they traded his two favorite proteges maybe?
    Perry did nice work with Andy LaRoche... but Perry was also the guy behind the awful defense of Dan Uggla, Hanley Ramirez and Miguel Cabrera. Uggla eventually had to be moved cause he was so bad and Ramirez and Cabrera have generally been viewed as weak CF'ers defensively.

Perry comes off to me as a fine tuner. His strength and and desire is to take players that are already average or above average and help push them over the top so that they can win gold gloves under him so he can get that recognition. Perry Hill in the end IMO is all about himself

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Perry
    Yeah,this guy is sounding more like a little ***** evry time he opens his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Yeah,this guy is sounding more like a little ***** evry time he opens his mouth.
    Lack of professionalism annoys me among these people...I mean seriously you coach/play a sport for a living...at least have some professionalism.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 197

I have no idea what the issue was, maybe Hill was misled in some way, but he's definitely in the wrong on this one here. It says they agreed not to talk about the situation publicly, but he felt the need to throw out that he's interested in coaching another team? The thing is Huntington's statement isn't even inaccurate. Since he signed a contract with an option for 2010 he was left with 2 choices: coach the Pirates and not coach at all. He chose not coaching. The statement's true.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I have no idea what the issue was, maybe Hill was misled in some way, but he's definitely in the wrong on this one here. It says they agreed not to talk about the situation publicly, but he felt the need to throw out that he's interested in coaching another team? The thing is Huntington's statement isn't even inaccurate. Since he signed a contract with an option for 2010 he was left with 2 choices: coach the Pirates and not coach at all. He chose not coaching. The statement's true.
    And if he doesn't coach this year I dont think he can come back and coach next year without our permission either...b/c he didn't fulfill his contractual obligations.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 27

I don't feel like searching for what I said in another thread on another board BUT **** this guy. He made overtures of coahing "for a contender." Well Perry ********, make the team you are currently coaching a contender. THAT'S WHY YOU COACH YOU ****ING *******!!!! I could give a **** if CarrotTop coached the infield. These guys are professionals. If they don't perform...they are gone. ****! This **** ****es me off. I'm not saying anything more......except for Perry Hill can get ****ed in the *** along with Jim Tracy.

thanks.

Threads : 197

I don't know all of the details, but I believe something similar happened to Hill with the Marlins. There were additional issues with his wife's health that may have contributed as well, but the rest of the situation sounds very similar, aside from his decision to make it clear that he wants to coach somewhere else this time.

When he was with the Marlins he had Derek Lee, Luis Castillo, Alex Gonzalez, and Mike Lowell for his first several years. They combined to win 4 Gold Gloves. Lee left in 2005 and was replaced by veteran Carlos Delgado, then all 4 infielders left left before the 2006 season. Hill coached a group of young players (Mike Jacobs, Dan Uggla, Hanley Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera) in 2006, then quit during Spring Training before 2007. Here's an MLB.com article on his retirement:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...news&fext=.jsp
    With this quote:
    This offseason, the Red Sox and Orioles both inquired about Hill's availability, but both clubs were denied permission by the Marlins to interview the first-base coach.
    There were family health issues involved at the time, but he was still open to coaching elsewhere, so it kind of seems like he wanted to get away from coaching young players that time as well and was looking at other jobs with a more veteran group, but wasn't allowed out of his contract. The Pirates went after him hard before the 2008 season, but they couldn't lure him in (remember they didn't have a first base coach/infield instructor until near the beginning of Spring Training in 2008). He finally agreed to come in for 2009 with largely a veteran group around him, but then got angry when he wound up with younger players. Seems like he just doesn't want to coach young guys.

Threads : 27

If Hill doesn't wanna coach young guys then he should quit all together.

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    I don't feel like searching for what I said in another thread on another board BUT **** this guy. He made overtures of coahing "for a contender." Well Perry ********, make the team you are currently coaching a contender. THAT'S WHY YOU COACH YOU ****ING *******!!!! I could give a **** if CarrotTop coached the infield. These guys are professionals. If they don't perform...they are gone. ****! This **** ****es me off. I'm not saying anything more......except for Perry Hill can get ****ed in the *** along with Jim Tracy.

thanks.
    I agree...coach or shut.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 85

maybe i should a resume for him or a cover letter.

Dear "Organization Name",

I am looking for a position riding the coattails of defensive minded veteran superstars. My coaching talents include, but are not limited to, whining and *****ing about management making "baseball" decisions, not coaching, accepting credit for accolades won by exceptional players, not coaching, and getting my own way or I walk.
    Thank you for this wonderful opportunity and please dont plan on rebuilding while i let you employ me.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I don't know all of the details, but I believe something similar happened to Hill with the Marlins. There were additional issues with his wife's health that may have contributed as well, but the rest of the situation sounds very similar, aside from his decision to make it clear that he wants to coach somewhere else this time.

When he was with the Marlins he had Derek Lee, Luis Castillo, Alex Gonzalez, and Mike Lowell for his first several years. They combined to win 4 Gold Gloves. Lee left in 2005 and was replaced by veteran Carlos Delgado, then all 4 infielders left left before the 2006 season. Hill coached a group of young players (Mike Jacobs, Dan Uggla, Hanley Ramirez, Miguel Cabrera) in 2006, then quit during Spring Training before 2007. Here's an MLB.com article on his retirement:
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...news&fext=.jsp
    With this quote:

There were family health issues involved at the time, but he was still open to coaching elsewhere, so it kind of seems like he wanted to get away from coaching young players that time as well and was looking at other jobs with a more veteran group, but wasn't allowed out of his contract. The Pirates went after him hard before the 2008 season, but they couldn't lure him in (remember they didn't have a first base coach/infield instructor until near the beginning of Spring Training in 2008). He finally agreed to come in for 2009 with largely a veteran group around him, but then got angry when he wound up with younger players. [HIGH-LIGHT]Seems like he just doesn't want to coach young guys[/HIGH-LIGHT].
    Pretty much. And his key excuse to try and make himself look somewhat innocent when he leaves after he has to actually coach is "family issues" which at this point are nothing but bull****. Family hasn't kept him out, contract obligations elsewhere or having to coach younger raw players instead of riding the coat tails of already established veteran players is what forces him out.

I guess the main question now should be... Who do the Pirates hire to replace Hill? This is a young unexperienced infield both now and will be for some time so it's going to have to be and should be more fo a teacher type/instructor. which case sort of falls in line with the types of guys Huntington has hired as coaches and managers.

Think we might tap Russell's sources with the Phillies organization and snag perhaps the infield coach at AAA there? or go more established...somehow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information