Thread: Cincinnati Cyclones win second ECHL title in 3 years

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Cincinnati Cyclones win second ECHL title in 3 years

CHAMPIONS!
    In April of 2004, the Cincinnati Cyclones suspended operations, with many assuming they'd never return. Just over six years later, this franchise, one written off, has given Cincinnati two championships and rewarded their fans with more bang for the buck than any entity in town. Congrats, 'Clones.

Cyclones win second ECHL title in 3 years
    Defeat Steelheads 2-1 in clincher before record crowd

By Shannon Russell • srussell@enquirer.com • May 21, 2010

[IMGR]http://i45.tinypic.com/1603iib.jpg[/IMGR]The Cincinnati Cyclones are ECHL champions once more.

fter beating the Idaho Steelheads 2-1 Friday at U.S. Bank Arena, the Cyclones claimed a second Kelly Cup in three seasons. The 2008 champions won this best-of-seven series 4-1, avoided a return trip to Boise, and concluded a record streak of 24 playoff games.

What’s more, they denied the Steelheads a third title in seven years.

Pandemonium erupted when time expired. Red and yellow confetti rained from the rafters and a record crowd of 13,483 thundered as the Cyclones celebrated.

Goalkeeper Robert Mayer ripped off his mask and hugged a teammate, and the rest surrounded them.

“Some people counted us out, but we didn’t,” Mayer said.

Players took turns skating around the ice while hoisting the Kelly Cup trophy long after Idaho left the ice.

“We couldn’t ask for more,” center Barret Ehgoetz said. “We really played together. This is a great group of guys.”

[IMGL]http://i47.tinypic.com/2010e37.jpg[/IMGL]Coach Chuck Weber said players “worked their tails off” to clinch the title. He said defense Friday was just as key as the team’s initial play.

“We knew a strong start was imperative,” Weber said.

The Cyclones endured a pair of slow starts in their previous two games but – energized by the crowd and a potential championship clincher at home – they came out firing.

The team out-shot Idaho 4-3 before forward Dustin Sproat slipped the puck past Idaho goalkeeper Rejean Beauchemin with 11:16 left in the first period. Sproat scored his 11th playoff goal on a centered set-up by Brett Motherwell, who benefited from an Ian McKenzie assist.

Cyclones players mobbed each other in their first celebration of the night and the crowd went wild, intensifying an atmosphere fitting for a championship.

Mayor Mark Mallory proclaimed that Friday was “Cincinnati Cyclones Day” and fans paid tribute by pouring into the arena an hour before game time. The Mistics, a local singing group, belted out the National Anthem and University of Cincinnati football coach Butch Jones dropped the ceremonial puck.

The crowd maintained its enthusiasm level throughout the night, even when a body check cracked one of the glass panels 3:50 into play and repairs delayed the action for several minutes.

The Cyclones didn’t skip a beat, either. After matching an ECHL record-low 15 shots Thursday night, they fired seven shots Friday in the first period alone.

Mayer deflected four shots in the first period and five in the second before Idaho’s Matt McKnight broke through. His solo shot with 14:09 left in the second period knotted the game at one.

But Brett Robinson converted a Jason Jozsa assist into a goal about four minutes later, and the Cyclones stayed on top for good.

The Steelheads out-shot the Cyclones 16-12 entering the third period and peppered Mayer with attempts as the last stanza unfolded. The Cyclones’ stingy defense prevented Idaho from capitalizing on a power play at the 13 minute mark, and the momentum remained with the home team.

The Steelheads were held to the lone goal despite out-shooting the Cyclones 23-16 for the game.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...SPT/305210071/
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Cincinnati Cyclones win second ECHL title in 3 years

Bleh... Idaho was going for their third in 6...and botched it.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bleh... Idaho was going for their third in 6...and botched it.
    LoL!.... Sorry about your luck.... ... Mathematically this one is still better, percentage-wise.... But I personally don't give too much of a **** either way.

... Yea, it's the "minor leagues", but folks around here are giving them props beyond compare... Personally, I could take them or leave them... But it's a cheap ticket here in town for a decent product....

Last edited by Palmetto Steel; May-23-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The ECHL in my opinion is better than the AHL in terms of fun/atmosphere, and the market of the teams. Most of the cities that the ECHL has are much bigger than the towns in the AHL. I always have fun at the games.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LoL!.... Sorry about your luck.... ... Mathematically this one is still better, percentage-wise.... But I personally don't give too much of a **** either way.

... Yea, it's the "minor leagues", but folks around here are giving them props beyond compare... Personally, I could take them or leave them... But it's a cheap ticket here in town for a decent product....

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a blast at ECHL games. Though I like Cincy Gardens better than U.S. Bank.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information