Thread: Charlie Morton Is Killing Me!!!

Threads : 55
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Charlie Morton Is Killing Me!!!

Will somebody please explain to me why we keep him???

I certainly will not last the season if I have to drink a beer every time he gives up a run
    or loss...

Threads : 122

Default Re: Charlie Morton Is Killing Me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Keystoner View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I certainly will not last the season if I have to drink a beer every time he gives up a run
    or loss...
    Didn't get to watch the game as it wasn't on TV yesterday, but from the box score it didn't look like he had a bad game yesterday with 6 IP and only 2 ER. Looks more like we had no offensive production with Cedeno and Crosby stranding 9 base runners combined. We have no pop at all. I pray Tabata & Pedro can come up and produce some offense for us in the near future.

Threads : 40
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Keystoner View Post

or loss...
    I am Neal will have some stats to quote about what a great preformance it was and how he is on the brink of breaking out. Really no other options besides possibly a Lincoln call-up at some point. More crazy to me is sending Aki out there batting leadoff. It is time to cut the AKI ties. Can't complaint about offense and put a 150 hitter batting leadoff.

Threads : 5

Morton pitched well our great O did alot of damage again last night. I agree Aki needs to go and bring up Walker and give him a chance to play second. Or start playing Andy there so when pedro comes up he has some experience there.

Threads : 197

I was at the game last night, so I might be the only person who got to watch it here. Morton wasn't at his best, but it wasn't bad at all. The first inning no one hit a ball out of the infield and the Braves ended up with the bases loaded. They scored Heyward's first AB a hit, but it was a slow roller where Crosby made a good play and a good throw and Jones just dropped it. Clearly an error, but scored a hit. Chipper's hit rolled right by Jones who was holding the runner at first, and the Hinske walk was probably just to get to Escobar, the righty. The second inning he gave up the HR, then the second run came in because of a pretty bad error by Cedeno on a likely double play ball. He gave up another leadoff HR after that, but cruised pretty well through the last 12 outs he got. He didn't allow many balls hit out of the infield outside of the two homers. There's no way a third run should have scored, and about half of those base runners never should have reached. I didn't really see much negative to say about it.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    I was at the game last night, so I might be the only person who got to watch it here. Morton wasn't at his best, but it wasn't bad at all. The first inning no one hit a ball out of the infield and the Braves ended up with the bases loaded. They scored Heyward's first AB a hit, but it was a slow roller where Crosby made a good play and a good throw and Jones just dropped it. Clearly an error, but scored a hit. Chipper's hit rolled right by Jones who was holding the runner at first, and the Hinske walk was probably just to get to Escobar, the righty. The second inning he gave up the HR, then the second run came in because of a pretty bad error by Cedeno on a likely double play ball. He gave up another leadoff HR after that, but cruised pretty well through the last 12 outs he got. He didn't allow many balls hit out of the infield outside of the two homers. There's no way a third run should have scored, and about half of those base runners never should have reached. I didn't really see much negative to say about it.
    Good analysis Jnn, I'm in Indiana so I don't get to watch many games. Considering all this team has been through this year, they're not really that bad off. 5 or 6 games under 500 at this point is about as good as can be expected considering how good this team is.

For the sky is falling fan, nothing short of the world series will satisfy them. I personally like that Morton is battling and getting better as he goes. Some guys take a while to truly hit their stride. No sense micro managing it.

Threads : 18

Amen IBF....one of the things I think that's losing fans in baseball is the notion that things are quick fixes...baseball is truly a sport that isn't measured game by game, but over uncertain periods of time. Nolan Ryan, Steve Carleton, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux....they all got rocked from time to time...granted not as much as Kip Wells, but nobody went screaming bloody murder when Nolan got chased in the 3rd inning (granted it was rare).

We've got the double-tough situation of not only having youngsters that need to develop and grow into solid ML contributors, but they have to do it on a losing team. It's much easier to bring someone along in the 5th starter's role when you've got 4 other solid producers in the other slots, both in terms of not having as much pressure to win, but also having veterans to watch, talk to, and emulate.

I'm frustrated with Charlie's ups and downs, but when I remember his age, his 95 mph fastball, and the motion on his pitches....I remember that good things are worth waiting for.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Morton is getting lit to **** tonight too...he's already given up 5 runs and 7 hits and has 41 pitches and he has NO outs in the 2nd!
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 158

Charlie Morton makes JVB look like Doug Drabek.

Threads : 122

I hope he plays guitar and sings better than he pitches, or else he might be helping you pick out tile at Home Depot.

I really think today was his worst start of the season despite the numbers in some of the others. There was just nothing he did well during even a single AB today. He abandoned his changeup completely (except that one that got hit for a HR), and only threw a few sliders. It was pretty predictable when he'd go fastball and when he'd go curve, and everything missed either up or in the dirt. He was Ian Snell-like trying to hit the outside corner on every pitch, shaking off pitches that I assume were called on the inner half, etc. There was also something strange with his velocity where he was throwing 90-92 for the first 14 batters of the game then just suddenly starting hitting 95 and 96 on the gun like he was intentionally holding back then decided to dial it up. Neither of them worked. It was just a complete disaster.

I'm also fascinated by the way the offense shuts down when the team gets behind. It's kind of incredible. In Morton's 10 starts this year they've scored 17 runs. You'd think they'd manage to lose 8-4 or something in one of those games, but they manage to get shut down every time.
    Last edited by jnn123; May-28-2010 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information