Thread: A Good Isaac "Red Zone" Redman Article

Threads : 440

Default A Good Isaac "Red Zone" Redman Article

Q&A: Isaac Redman

Isaac Redman (AP Photo) By Jim Wexell

SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted May 24, 2010

When we last left running back Isaac Redman, he was the toast of training camp. But after a season on the practice squad, Redman says he's adjusted to his asthma and is now "in 10 times better shape." Here's the rest of his story.

Q: How have things gone since those days of stardom?
    A: Everythingís been going real well. Iíve got the playbook down pat, know all my protections, so now Iím just out here working hard, trying to get better, and be in better shape and come in camp ready.

Q: Mike Tomlin said last year that you werenít in good condition. Did he tell you that and what have you done since?

A: Most definitely. Right now Iíd say Iím in 10 times better shape than when I went into camp last year. That says a lot because we've still got this whole summer to go and work until camp. I already know for a fact by the time camp starts being in shape is going to be the least of my worries.

Q: What'll be the most of your worries?

A: Just trying to get on this team (laughs).

Q: How bad of shape were you in last year?

A: I wasnít in terrible shape. It was just all the running and the heat and my asthma. With asthma, youíve got to be above and beyond good shape. You know youíre going to get tired fast. When you get fatigued, when your asthma gets to kicking, thereís nothing you can do.

Q: Was that a problem at camp last year?

A: Yeah, it definitely was. So this year Iíve just been working really hard with Gie (strength coach Garrett Giemont) and so right now Iím in tip-top shape already.

Q: Anyone mention to you that Jerome Bettis had asthma, and have they prescribed some of the same therapies?

A: No, they havenít. They just make sure I have an inhaler, because last camp I didnít bring an inhaler or anything because I donít really like using my inhaler. Sometimes it makes me feel woozy. I just donít like how it makes me feel, so I just figured if I come in in the best shape as possible I should be straight.

Q: How did you get into the best shape possible? Did you do anything different?

A: Last offseason I was working on my own after the OTAs. I was just at home doing my own little stuff. Now that Iíve had the chance to be here full-time, I havenít left. I havenít gone home but maybe a couple of times, but since the season has been over Iíve just been here working out the whole time. The running backs coach, Coach Kirb (Wilson), already said ĎI can tell youíre already in way better shape than what you were at this time last year.í Itís because I was able to stay here the whole time and workout all the way through.

Q: Who do you work out with?

A: Itís been a good group of people here all offseason. Itís been a lot of people. Me and David Johnson workout a lot together. A lot of the second-year players, most of us have been here. Ziggy Hoodís a workout maniac. Weíve all been trying to get better all offseason.

Q: You received a lot of acclaim last camp. Did that go to your head at all? And did any of your teammates resent all the attention for a guy who hadnít proved anything?

A: I know, in my mind, I didnít think I was better than what I really was or anything like that. I tried my best not to let that go to my head, because I knew that no matter what was said Iíve still got to make this team. That goes to show, I was put on the practice squad. Everybody likes to get talked good about, get write-ups and all that, but at the end of the day it did nothing for me.

Q: Did you notice if it bothered any of your teammates?

A: Oh, no, not at all. Itís not like that around here at all.

Q: Whatís the difference in your body? Is it weight?

A: Iím actually about the same weight I was last year. Iím more toned. I just toned it up but Iím about 240 right now and I want to come into camp about 235.

Q: Are you much more comfortable and excited about this camp?

A: Oh, most definitely. I canít wait for this camp to come. Anything I did last year is not even going to be compared to what Iím planning on doing this year.

http://pit.scout.com/

Threads : 60

Default Re: A Good Isaac "Red Zone" Redman Article

Wow, the kid sounds like he is ready to make a staement this season. I have asthma too and it's not fun when it flares up.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information