Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodell clears Roethlisberger to return next week

Threads : 440

Default Goodell clears Roethlisberger to return next week

Goodell clears Roethlisberger to return next week

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2010 6:35 PM ET

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has determined that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger can participate in team activities starting next week.

League spokesman Greg Aiello announced that Goodell made the decision based on reports and recommendations of medical experts who worked with Roethlisberger. Goodell ordered Roethlisberger to undergo a thorough evaluation, and Roethlisberger had been barred from taking part in team activities until the evaluation was complete.

Goodell will continue to monitor Roethlisberger's progress and plans to meet again with Roethlisberger at a later date.

Roethlisberger has been suspended for the first six games of the regular season for violating the league's personal-conduct policy. He will be permitted to participate in organized team activities, training camp and the preseason before serving his suspension at the start of the regular season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...urn-next-week/

Threads : 186

Default Re: Goodell clears Roethlisberger to return next week

Well lets hope the Benelephant in the room gets sorted before the regular season or else this team will eat itself alive.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sooooo....has BB passed all of the "tests" that determine he is a 20-something hornball that has never been charged with a crime? And does this mean the 6 game suspension will be reduced to 4?

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sooooo....has BB passed all of the "tests" that determine he is a 20-something hornball that has never been charged with a crime? And does this mean the 6 game suspension will be reduced to 4?

John Clayton was just saying on ESPN that Ben's behavioral evaluation went well and that Ben's suspension being reduced to 4 games is almost a foregone conclusion once Goodell meets with Ben.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    John Clayton was just saying on ESPN that Ben's behavioral evaluation went well and that Ben's suspension being reduced to 4 games is almost a foregone conclusion once Goodell meets with Ben.
    Cool! I figured this would be the result...BB might be a "couple nugs shy of an eighth," upstairs...but he is not the monster that the media is painting him out to be! He's smart enough to realize that his legacy is already comprimised...and I trust that he has a support system that is capable of adjusting his "playboy" attitude into a 2x SB winning "Champ" attitude!

He has a lot to prove this year!!! And I have faith in "our boy!"

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am curious as to whether Ben has to undergo any further counseling, say for alcohol. Goodell may have said to Ben that "both times you have been accused of a sex crime, you had been consuming beverages of an alcoholic nature, it appears to me that alcohol might be a problem with you".
    I could se his stuffy *** saying that.
    Anyway, I am glad that he can get back with his teammates and that some sense of normalcy can return.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    I am curious as to whether Ben has to undergo any further counseling, say for alcohol. Goodell may have said to Ben that "both times you have been accused of a sex crime, you had been consuming beverages of an alcoholic nature, it appears to me that alcohol might be a problem with you".
    I could se his stuffy *** saying that.
    Anyway, I am glad that he can get back with his teammates and that some sense of normalcy can return.
    I can see your point...but 75% of the league (conservatively-speaking) could easily undergo similar counceling, if that was the "problem!" These are young men with all of the money in the world, big egos, and lots of spare time!!! There are only so many "Tim Tebow's" out there!

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

NEWS FLASH ben is not retarded people!

NFL reinstates Roethlisberger

NFL STATEMENT ON STATUS OF BEN ROETHLISBERGER

Based on the reports and recommendations of our medical experts, Commissioner Goodell advised the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger today that he is cleared to return to team activities beginning next week. The commissioner will continue to monitor Roethlisberger’s progress as he begins the next phase of his recommended plan and will meet with Roethlisberger again at the appropriate time.

There has been no decision on any modification to the length of Roethlisberger’s suspension. In his April 21 disciplinary decision, Commissioner Goodell announced that Roethlisberger is suspended without pay for the first six games of the regular season. The commissioner said he would review Roethlisberger’s progress prior to the start of the regular season and consider whether to reduce the suspension to four games. Failure to cooperate and follow his plan could result in a longer suspension.

Statement from Steelers’ President, Art Rooney II:

“Commissioner Goodell informed us today that based on the information he received from the clinical evaluations, he has cleared Ben Roethlisberger to return to the Steelers’ facility to take part in both meetings and practices. We look forward to having Ben re-join his teammates on the practice field.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...8-44bf1d5310f4

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

His only crime has been that he is a major ****ing ******bag. Hopefully this mess will sort him out. He seems to be doing the right things tho. Golfing and seeing his friends (not being a recluse) instead of being out reliving his college days. Hopefully things remain that way indefinitely. I have been a BB fan since he joined the club and nothing has changed in that regards. Maybe one of these self righteous ticket holders that refuse to root for the team can give their tickets to charity and when I mean charity I mean give them to Beezy because he is so broke he has never had the opportunity to see his favorite club in person

Steelers "look forward to having Ben re-join his teammates"

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2010 7:38 PM ET

Pittsburgh Steelers President Art Rooney II released a statement Thursday saying that the Steelers are ready to welcome quarterback Ben Roethlisberger back to the team, following NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell's decision to permit Roethlisberger to participate in team activities.

"Commissioner Goodell informed us today that based on the information he received from the clinical evaluations, he has cleared Ben Roethlisberger to return to the Steelers' facility to take part in both meetings and practices," Rooney said in the statement. "We look forward to having Ben re-join his teammates on the practice field."

The league's official statement on the matter made clear that the decision to allow Roethlisberger back on the practice field is the result of the thorough examination that the league made Roethlisberger submit to.

"Based on the reports and recommendations of our medical experts, Commissioner Goodell advised the Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger today that he is cleared to return to team activities beginning next week," the league said in its statement. "The commissioner will continue to monitor Roethlisberger's progress as he begins the next phase of his recommended plan and will meet with Roethlisberger again at the appropriate time.

The league also said it's too early to say whether Roethlisberger's six-game suspension could be reduced to four games -- or perhaps lengthened to more than six games.

"There has been no decision on any modification to the length of Roethlisberger's suspension," the league's statement said. "In his April 21 disciplinary decision, Commissioner Goodell announced that Roethlisberger is suspended without pay for the first six games of the regular season. The commissioner said he would review Roethlisberger's progress prior to the start of the regular season and consider whether to reduce the suspension to four games. Failure to cooperate and follow his plan could result in a longer suspension."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...his-teammates/

Threads : 3263

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Goodell talks about Roethlisberger's return

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on May 29, 2010 1:12 PM ET

In Roger Goodell's first televised words on Ben Roethlisberger since the league allowed the Steelers quarterback to re-join his team, the NFL Commissioner expressed confidence Roethlisberger is beginning to "understand his responsibilities."

"Since the time we issued the suspension and asked him to go through the evaluation Ben's been working hard and cooperating fully with all of our medical experts and with the league program," Goodell told Tom Curran of Comcast Sports New England. "I spoke to him earlier and I think he's understanding his responsibilities as an NFL player. He can resume his activities but he still has work to do and he knows that."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ergers-return/

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ben was convicted of no crime.

No arrests, no decisions, yet Goodell sanctioned him - for political reasons.

Now I'm not defending Ben, he's been a ****** throughout his career and those red flags were widely ignored by Steeler fans along the way, but he has every right to live his life they way he wants to live it and I support that.

Having said that, and as I stated before, if Ben wanted to - he has every right to hire a team of lawyers and run Goodell up a ****ing flagpole because Goodell has zero ground to sanction Ben but Ben decided to take the high road. Take his lumps and - AND if that's the road he wants to take, fine. I have no problem with it only if that's the road he commits to - which means no more bull****. No more ****ing bar hopping, no more posse's, no more skank banging. That's what he chose, it's up to him to stick with it.

If he chose the latter - being a dumbass party boy, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Like I stated, Ben has every right to life his life the way he wants to live it, but that's not what he chose.

Time will tell.

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    Having said that, and as I stated before, if Ben wanted to - he has every right to hire a team of lawyers and [HIGH-LIGHT]run Goodell up a ****ing flagpole because Goodell has zero ground to sanction[/HIGH-LIGHT] Ben but Ben decided to take the high road.
    Oh.... This has been debated and debated till the cows have come home.... Sorry, but Ben ****ed up and violated the conduct policy... It was in print, and he knew about it... It isn't a shade of grey... **** Ben because he's an idiot and a sociopath.... Here it is for folks that never saw the actual policy..... Hell, I can't seem to find it all, but here is some of it....

General policy
    Engaging in violent and/or criminal activity is unacceptable and constitutes conduct detrimental to the integrity of and public confidence in the National Football League. Such conduct alienates the fans on whom the success of the League depends and has negative and sometimes tragic consequences for both the victim and the perpetrator.

The League is committed to promoting and encouraging lawful conduct and to providing a safe and professional workplace for its employees.

Persons covered by policy
    The following persons ("Covered Persons") shall be considered subject to this Policy: (i) all players under contract; (ii) all full-time employees of the National Football League, its Member Clubs and related entities; (iii) all rookie players once they are selected in the NFL college draft; and (iv) all undrafted rookie players, unsigned veterans and other prospective employees once they commence negotiations with a Club concerning employment.

Prohibited conduct
    It will be considered conduct detrimental for Covered Persons to engage in (or to aid, abet or conspire to engage in or to incite) violent and/or criminal activity. Examples of such Prohibited Conduct include, without limitation: any crime involving the use or threat of physical violence to a person or persons; the use of a deadly weapon in the commission of a crime; possession or distribution of a weapon in violation of state or federal law; involvement in "hate crimes" or crimes of domestic violence; theft, larceny or other property crimes; sex offenses; racketeering; money laundering; obstruction of justice; resisting arrest; fraud; and violent or threatening conduct. Additionally, Covered Persons shall not by their words or conduct suggest that criminal activity is acceptable or condoned within the NFL.

Persons charged with criminal activity
    Any Covered Person arrested for or charged with conduct prohibited by this policy will be required to undergo a consultation and additional counseling as directed. Failure to comply with the consultation and counseling (including being arrested for or charged with additional criminal activity during the evaluation and counseling period) shall itself be conduct detrimental to the National Football League and shall be punishable by fine or suspension at the discretion of the Commissioner.

Disposition of the criminal proceeding
    Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a criminal violation (including a plea to a lesser included offense; a plea of nolo contendere or no contest; or the acceptance of a diversionary program, deferred adjudication, disposition of supervision, or similar arrangement) will be subject to discipline as determined by the Commissioner. Such discipline may include a fine, suspension without pay and/or banishment from the League. Any Covered Person convicted of or admitting to a second criminal violation will be suspended without pay or banished for a period of time to be determined by the Commissioner.

Persons engaged in violent activity in the workplace
    Every employee is entitled to a safe and professional workplace free of criminal behavior, violence and threats against personal safety. Criminal conduct in the workplace or against other employees is prohibited. Any Covered Person who commits or threatens violent acts against co-workers, regardless of whether an arrest is made or criminal charges are brought, shall be subject to evaluation, counseling and discipline, including termination of employment.

Duty to report prohibited conduct
    To ensure the effective administration of the policy, the League must be advised when a Covered Person engages in Prohibited Conduct. The obligation to report an arrest or criminal charge extends to both the person involved and to the Club or League entity for which he or she works.

When a person subject to this policy is arrested or charged with Prohibited Conduct, that information must be reported to the Club and NFL Security. Failure to report an incident will constitute conduct detrimental and will be taken into consideration in the final determination of discipline under this policy.

Appeal rights
    Any person disciplined under this policy shall have a right of appeal, including a hearing, before the Commissioner or his designee. Except for the enforcement of a suspension, no other requirements set forth in the policy will be stayed pending the completion of the appeal.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information