Thread: Wallace comfortable in offense

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wallace comfortable in offense

I've been off the board the last several days preoccupied with some personal ****, so if this has been posted, just let me know and I'll delete it...
    --------------------------------------------------
    Wallace comfortable in offense
    By Teresa Varley – Steelers.com
    Posted May 26, 2010

With uncertainty as to who will open the season as the starting quarterback, OTAs are a key time for the team’s receivers to get their timing down and establish a comfort level with the quarterbacks.

Mike Wallace, who is in his second season, is especially focused on working with whoever will replace Ben Roethlisberger while he serves a six-game suspension. Wallace worked with Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon during his rookie year and early in the offseason, but is now trying to get accustomed to Byron Leftwich.

“I want to learn how he throws the ball, where it’s going,” said Wallace. “He and Ben throw different, but they are both really good quarterbacks. Being here and learning from him, how he throws and getting the chemistry going is real helpful.

“I have been playing with those guys, except for Byron. But he has a strong arm. There is a little adjustment, but he can get it done. He has a strong arm.”

Wallace’s comfort level this offseason is much greater than a year ago when he was a rookie just getting his feet wet.

“It’s a lot easier to just to go out and play instead of worrying about what is hot, what routes I have, making sure I am in the right formation,” said Wallace. “When I hear a play now, I am going straight to the line and I have the play. It makes everything easier. It seems like I came so far in the offense and learning more about coverage and everything. Just being in the system with Hines (Ward) for a year, he taught me everything. Now looking at it it’s so much easier to just go out and play.”

He can sympathize with rookie wide receivers, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown, who are going through what he did a year ago.

“I tell them don’t worry about it,” said Wallace. “I laugh because I know what they are going through. BA (Bruce Arians) is going to get on them and ask them what they are doing. I have to tell them keep their head up and keep on studying. That’s the main thing. There is going to be a lot on you at first but it gets easier as time goes on.”

Wallace made a huge impact on the Steelers offense his rookie season playing in all 16 games and finishing with 39 receptions. Wallace started five games when the team lined up in a three-receiver set and finished the year tied with the team lead for six touchdown receptions en route to winning the team’s rookie of the year honors. With Santonio Holmes traded to the New York Jets, Wallace is looking forward to taking his game to the next level with an opportunity there.

“It gives me the opportunity to step up and make plays,” said Wallace. “I had planned on making plays any way, but I will have a bigger role and I am up to the challenge and will make sure I do everything I can and not let anybody down.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...d-7f7133975aec
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 440

Default Re: Wallace comfortable in offense

I think Mike Wallace is going to have a monster year...speed kills!

Last edited by hawaiiansteeler; May-28-2010 at 08:54 PM.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Mike Wallace is going to have a monster year...speed kills!
    Man, I hope so.... Hell, I hope the whole freakin' team has an incredilble year after all this stuff that has happened this off-season... We all need just that.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

[QUOTE=NKySteeler;84473]I've been off the board the last several days preoccupied with some personal ****, so if this has been posted, just let me know and I'll delete it...

letting that personal **** get in the way of your posting again, huh?

Wallace on fast track to replace Santonio Holmes

By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer
    May 26, 12:56 pm EDT

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Mike Wallace(notes) is on the fast track to replacing Santonio Holmes(notes) as the Steelers’ primary deep passing threat. Byron Leftwich(notes) needed only one practice to realize that.

During a 7-on-7 passing drill recently in a voluntary practice, Wallace beat his man cleanly, but Leftwich’s pass landed behind the receiver. The timing and precision needed to correctly execute the fly pattern weren’t there.

Clearly, it’s going to take the Steelers some time to adjust to having a receiver other than Holmes lining up with Hines Ward(notes) in a tandem that, for one season, paired two Super Bowl MVPs.

Or maybe it won’t.

Wallace is convinced the transition will take less time than expected, given he’s replacing a former first-round draft pick who caught 79 passes last season and had a combined 18 touchdown receptions the last three seasons.

“I feel like they believe I can do the same things Santonio did,” Wallace said. “I don’t feel like there’s anything Santonio did that I can’t do. I’m still running some of the routes I ran last year, it’s just that I have more of them to run.”

Maybe Wallace doesn’t have Holmes’ knowledge of NFL cornerbacks, or of opponents’ defensive tendencies. And he’s still not certain how running plays out of Holmes’ position will differ from running them out of Ward’s position; he spent last season as Ward’s backup.

Leftwich does know this: Few defenders will be faster than Wallace.

“We all know what Santonio can do,” said Leftwich, who is running the first-team offense during Ben Roethlisberger’s(notes) absence. “Mike, he’s running by a lot of people. He’s got speed that not a lot of people have. We haven’t seen that in the league a lot. There’s only a few people who can run like that.”

Holmes is fast, but he’s not as fast as Wallace, who caught 39 passes for 756 yards and six touchdowns while averaging 19.4 yards per catch as a rookie. His speed was such an asset, the Steelers felt confident they didn’t need to look elsewhere for a replacement last month when they decided to trade Holmes to the Jets following a series of off-field missteps.

After compensating for Wallace’s speed, Leftwich managed to hit the former Mississippi receiver on the same deep pass play that didn’t work the first time.

“When you think of Mike, you think of a deep threat,” quarterback Dennis Dixon(notes) said. “Whenever you go up top with Mike, you’ve got to be sure to release it early because he can outrun your arm.”

To Ward, the biggest adjustment for Wallace won’t be in lining up at a different position, but learning how to get open while running precise patterns on first and second downs.

Last season, Wallace—a third-round draft pick—mostly played in multiple receiver packages in which he rarely opposed top-line cornerbacks or was double-teamed.

“Sometimes the (top) guys lined up on me, but for the most part they were on Santonio or Hines,” Wallace said. “But I’m always ready for a challenge. I don’t feel like I’m afraid of anybody, I don’t fear anybody and they go to work just like I go to work. I’m going to be ready for them, just like they’re going to be ready for me.”

Wallace also benefited from the instruction time Ward and Holmes gave him.

“I learned how to be a pro, coming in every day and working and never being satisfied with a good game or having one good week,” Wallace said. “If you’re hanging onto that, you’re going to get whipped. Every day’s a new day, that’s the main thing.”

Every season’s a new one, too, and this could be an especially demanding one for the Steelers because Roethlisberger will be suspended until October.

“We know what type of business we’re in and we’re ready to roll with whoever’s in,” Wallace said. “It’s always going to be hard when he’s not here, but we’ve got to keep rolling. I feel like when he comes back, we’re going to pick up where we left off.”

Wallace also hopes to pick up where Holmes left off, averaging seven catches per game during the second half of last season.

“That’s the nature of the business,” Wallace said. “One guy’s out and the next day I have to step in.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...lacingsantonio

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information